Midseason Top 10?

ChuckS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand every point you make. He seems similar to Josh Towers from a few years ago. Small framed kid who was very good until he hit the ML level. He made some splash for one start, I believe, and then got lit up. He later went to Toronto, and got lit up. Done.

I don't know how apt the Davies-Towers analogy is, but you are way underselling Towers' career. He pitched 731 major league innings, started 112 games, and won 45 big league games. To put his career into perspective, he won three fewer games than Daniel Cabrera, with a better winning percentage and better ERA+. He wasn't a highly successful major leaguer but he was far more than a cup of coffee guy. And he was rookie pitcher of the month for the AL while an Oriole, throwing 140 innings for us that year's while going 8-10, and later had a year when he won 13 games and threw 208 innings for Toronto. Most of the guys on our prospect list will fall far short of what Towers accomplished.

If the Os development program has been adversely impacting Parker Bridwell's statistical results, and his talent level is closer to what he has done the past few weeks when his full arsenal has been unleashed, then Bridwell could be a very fast riser up some of these lists. Maybe not into the top 10, but certainly in the next five. This sets up a very interesting second half for Bridwell.

Gamboa. I'm not sure what would be so intriguing about Sisco or Hart. Hobgood and Gamboa would be great stories. If Gamboa turns into a Dickey or even a Wakefield type pitcher, that would be something.

Yeah, I asked the question with Gamboa in mind. Just tried to throw other options out there, and then Hoosiers reminded me of this guy...

If the Os development program has been adversely impacting Parker Bridwell's statistical results, and his talent level is closer to what he has done the past few weeks when his full arsenal has been unleashed, then Bridwell could be a very fast riser up some of these lists. Maybe not into the top 10, but certainly in the next five. This sets up a very interesting second half for Bridwell.

Definitely a very interesting last few starts.

If the top 10, right now, has these guys in some order: Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Delmonico, Rodriguez, Harvey, Urrutia, Hader, Walker, Hoes, then these are my next list of intriguing guys...

Ohlman, Gamboa, Bridwell, Marin

Granted, you could easily make a case for a couple of those in the top 10 over Walker and Hoes. In fact, I'm guessing that Walker's early season helium will not end up with a top 10 prospect ranking on most lists because his lack of positional value and some decent upside behind him.

I don't know how apt the Davies-Towers analogy is, but you are way underselling Towers' career. He pitched 731 major league innings, started 112 games, and won 45 big league games. To put his career into perspective, he won three fewer games than Daniel Cabrera, with a better winning percentage and better ERA+. He wasn't a highly successful major leaguer but he was far more than a cup of coffee guy. And he was rookie pitcher of the month for the AL while an Oriole, throwing 140 innings for us that year's while going 8-10, and later had a year when he won 13 games and threw 208 innings for Toronto. Most of the guys on our prospect list will fall far short of what Towers accomplished.

Frobby, thanks for that. I had no idea how well he did or how long he lasted. I sit corrected.

And, in further fairness to Josh, he pitched for several years in the PED era. He did give up 887 hits in 731 ML innings, but his BB rate was excellent.

Archived