Curious to see how much time 53 homers buys

Moose Milligan

It's not pretty for Chris Davis right now, though he's getting on base at a decent clip, the batting average and the power is way down. Sure, he's got an oblique issue but even before that he wasn't hitting the ball hard.

So how long before Orioles fans start turning their ire towards him? How much time does a season of 53 homers buy someone?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not pretty for Chris Davis right now, though he's getting on base at a decent clip, the batting average and the power is way down. Sure, he's got an oblique issue but even before that he wasn't hitting the ball hard.

So how long before Orioles fans start turning their ire towards him? How much time does a season of 53 homers buy someone?

Good question.

My own personal conspiracy theory is that the oblique's been bothering him for most of the season thus far. His swing has looked different to me this year, and it's been markedly different since his return from the D.L. He's pulling off of just about everything, swinging/missing fastballs at an astounding rate, and (especially lately) he's been keeping both hands on the bat and just...kind of swatting at the pitches he sees, especially inside fastballs. I'm sure his struggles are taking a mental toll, but I also don't think he's been "all there" physically this season.

And what worries me most about that is...if it's true, I have a hard time imagining it's something he'll be able to sort out while playing every day.

For me, it'll buy him a year. I have never as an orioles fan experienced anything like last season for Davis. Additionally, he has shown enough in his career to prove it wasn't a complete fluke, so he is either just slumping or injured or both. If others players on our team want to "slump" their way to a .350 OPB and a 29% line drive rate, I'm fine with that as well.

A year. One.

I'm only going to respond with my own personal opinion, and that is that I am not worried about Davis as long as he's getting hits, which he's doing fine of. I am still hopeful that the power will return, and at this point, with the game on the line it is a little sad for me that I'd rather see Wieters or Cruz at the plate than Davis.

I'm happy with him at the 1B spot. This season he's still hitting alright and his defense hasn't fallen off. If we're in mid May next season and he still has 2 HR and the same song, it might be worth getting nervous about. I think we could still get a good trade with him next year mid season if we had to.

I dont think his power is the issue. Hes just whiffing too much. Its either his plate vision or swing mechanics. Im in the opinion that we have terrible hitting coaching so out of whack mechanics and poor guidance on adjusting to pitchers is my guess.

There's no one else outside of Pearce that could play first without leaving a hole somewhere else. That gives Davis the majority of the season to me. If he holds his own and doesn't wander into Flaherty-esque territory then just let him figure it out. I'd say he is worth waiting for considering his upside.

Archived