Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

And the shoulder.

3/40 with 6.5 deferred isn't bad.

Shouldn't hurt the team too much if he can't play.

Especially when you factor in that he's been a great bargain the last four seasons ($5.85 mill. in 2011 and $7 mill. / year 2012-14).

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
J.....J.....HARDYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I bet the entire stadium doing that at Games 1 and 2 helped speed this deal along. Who wouldn't want to play in a city like that? And if the fans (customers) love a player, that helps the team.

Love the deal, and I'm glad to see JJ back. This was the key player of the off-season IMO. Congrats to JJ and his family.

I don't put any weight into that. The past is over.

Yeah, I know that's the proper way to look at it and that it's also cancelled out by so many deals that didn't pan out, but it helps me to think of the overall value of Hardy's time with the O's.

I'd have no problem with giving Cruz a multi year deal. He seems happy here and is a legit home run hitter. Giving him like 3 year/45 million would totally be acceptable.

A slugger, yet I like how proficiently he goes to the opposite field / alley when he has to.

Payroll was indeed going to push $110M in 2015.....if you project increases via arbitration (including De Aza, Hunter, Norris, Pearce) and newly eligible arbitration players (like Tillman, Gonzalez, Britton, Flaherty), the money we save on Markakis, Cruz and Hardy would have been mostly eaten back up. Add in an extra $1M for O'Day's option, Jimenez's $1M increase - it's close. The key is Davis - do they offer him a contract or not. Could a deal for Hardy mean the end of Davis as an Oriole?

It's around $95M if Markakis' option is not picked up, Chen/O'Day's both are, and everyone gets arbitration. Definitely under $100M even at the highest estimate before Hardy signed.

I'm super curious as to what this means for Nick Markakis. It would certainly be interesting if both Cruz and Hardy got extensions going into the ALCS and Markakis did not. Of course, we wouldn't know what may be taking place behind the scenes as far as extension talks, but yeah. All very intriguing.

Markakis isn't a strict free agent though so it isn't necessarily as pressing.

Archived