Billy Gets his 3/30

Can_of_corn

And it's....Oakland!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Billy Butler agrees to three-year, $30M deal with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a>. $5 million signing bonus.</p>— Robert Murray (@RobertMurrayMLB) <a href="

">November 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't know about 3 years' date=' but I figured a team like Oakland would go after him as a buy low candidate that could give you a lot of value if he bounces back.[/quote']

They bought but I don't think it was low.

Guys like Butler I would try and wait them out until they start to get nervous in February.

Didnt' say it was' date=' I actually said 3 years is surprising. I gave my rationale as to why I figured a team like Oakland would go after him. Whether or not they actually bought low is irrelevant to what I said.[/quote']

I don't see anything about a rationale for why OAK would go after him, other than him being a buy low candidate, which we apparently agree that he isn't.

I don't see anything about a rationale for why OAK would go after him, other than him being a buy low candidate, which we apparently agree that he isn't.

I never said he wasn't a buy low candidate, I said the opposite. Before the FA season began, I thought he was a great potential buy low candidate. And so teams that need to roll the dice and have their money go a little further than others, like Oakland, seemed like the teams that would be most interested. Oakland was my pick for him, I'm just shocked at the price. I had the team right, just the reasoning wrong apparently.

Before 2014, Butler was a consistent 2-3 win player for five years in a row. A bit less on fWar than rWAR but similar. And it is well known that buying a couple of wins can cost you $10M or more on the FA market.

I wouldn't have loved for the Orioles to make this signing but I don't see what's so bad about it either.

They bought but I don't think it was low.

Guys like Butler I would try and wait them out until they start to get nervous in February.

They definitely didn't buy low. He's been worth over $10 million twice in his career...and he's a soon to be 29 year old DH with old man skills.

Archived