What did Bleier do?

AceKing

15 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Something that speaks a little bit to me is that it seemed like the other players were very much on Bleier’s side. Not just Armstrong but it looked like Bundy and Wilkerson came over and it wasn’t a let’s hold this psycho Davis back situation.

I was pretty surprised about Armstrong's reaction. He did not look happy nor did he seem to care one bit about standing up to Flores. It's just a blip in time, so it's hard to say, but it was an interesting reaction. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm interested in him as long as he can still get grounders at that clip.  In an environment where everyone's obsessed with launch angle and they've put helium in the baseball, I'm all about guys that can do a better than average job of keeping it on the ground.  

Not only does he keep it on the ground but he doesn't walk many either.  His 1.4 BB per 9 innings are the lowest on the team... and it isn't even close. I hope he gets back on track.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was pretty surprised about Armstrong's reaction. He did not look happy nor did he seem to care one bit about standing up to Flores. It's just a blip in time, so it's hard to say, but it was an interesting reaction. 

I noticed that too. I'm not going to read too much into it, but it does make me wonder if there is some friction between Flores and the players. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I noticed that too. I'm not going to read too much into it, but it does make me wonder if there is some friction between Flores and the players. 

Especially from a kind of fringey guy who you'd think would be mostly concerned with continuing to improve so he can stick in the big leagues/40-man roster. That to me points to the possibility of some existing friction. 

Whether or not Flores was in the wrong here, the fact that two pitchers got in his face says to me there's some respect lacking there from the players. And you can't have coaches that aren't respected. That said, I don't know that his defensive alignment was anything out of the ordinary, so it's tough to say if Bleier's initial reaction was really even warranted (I'm guessing probably not). 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As I said in a prior post, it’s a tricky decision.    

Perhaps we should call him Tricky Dick, then.

As far as the topic, I don't care if these incidents happen in the dugout. Good, let them show how much they care about their performance. I want to see fire out of this team which was completely lacking before. I also found it interesting that Armstrong and others quickly jumped to Bleier's defense and there were plenty of F-Yous and F-Offs being exchanged there. The clip someone posted here earlier had some of that stuff faintly caught on audio when they were coming out of the tunnel. Good. Let it out. I agree that this was probably the boiling over of some pre-established tension between Flores and some guys on the team.

This team cares a hell of a lot more than they did for the last seven months of season during Buck's tenure. That team gave up on him in September of 2017 and carried that through 2018 to the worst record in baseball. No fire, no care.. I love what this team is showing now. Theatrics are fine, it's entertainment and to me it's the good kind. I like fire. It's been awhile since I've seen it out of this team and I still think Hyde is the right man right now. If Flores is a problem, he won't be here much longer

Funny how sports differ. This stuff only happens like multiple times per football game. Football coaches are often lauded for yelling at players and players bark back on a regular basis.  Nick Saban basically eats a player or two alive per game and he’s certainly not viewed as a poor leader. Pro football coaches lose it on a regular basis. 

4 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

That being said, he didn't try to show Flores up.

I actually think Flores went after Bleier because of how Bleier acted on the mound and when being taken out. I think Flores was basically defending Hyde, but was very aggressive in doing so which caused other players to push back in Bleier's defense.

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

They often show the wedges of hitters groundball spray charts, but I agree tracking PITCHERS groundball spray charts is something that also happens. 

I suspect they also track the deviation between hitter spray charts and pitcher spray charts. With that information, and enough data, you can try to fit the individual on the mound to the individual hitter. I'm sure they have statisticians who build such model that are far more sophisticated than data that I could track, like spray charts. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

On the subject of Bleier the pitcher, while his stuff was never overwhelming, this year he has just never looked right to me.    He was much better at hitting his spots in the past, and his pitches just seem to have less movement this year.    I can’t tell whether he just needs to have a normal offseason and spring training to recover, or whether he’s just lost his edge and won’t be able to get it back.    The decision about whether to tender him a contract will be a tricky one.  

33 next year, arbitration eligible, bad 1st half now extending into the second half.   I don't know that its that tricky less he rallies and puts up a lot of zeros in Sept.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

To me a coach is a players boss. If I’d told my boss fu I’d been fired. These players live in a different world than I do I guess. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

33 next year, arbitration eligible, bad 1st half now extending into the second half.   I don't know that its that tricky less he rallies and puts up a lot of zeros in Sept.

I don't see Bleier tendered either. He was a nice story a couple of years ago, but that ship has sailed and next year the Orioles should be giving bullpen time to guys who can help consistently.