Hyde Sports News Manager of the Year

Pickles

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's mostly about talent.

As I alluded to earlier I don't think 2022 Hyde was an appreciably better manager than the 2019-2021 version.

Someone has to win and sure, he's the best choice but I don't think anyone reads much into it.

Hyde said almost this exact thing in his post-season interview with Elias. 

You could also say this about any team where the manager gets the award. 

Call me old school but until this thread I just assumed the manager made the lineup, as one of his primary duties. Then again, what people are talking about maybe is who to play on a given day, rather than batting order? Then I could see more input from higher up. In any case is this just speculation, or do we actually know that bosses or computers are calling the shots?

4 minutes ago, now said:

Call me old school but until this thread I just assumed the manager made the lineup, as one of his primary duties. Then again, what people are talking about maybe is who to play on a given day, rather than batting order? Then I could see more input from higher up. In any case is this just speculation, or do we actually know that bosses or computers are calling the shots?

It probably varies by team.

I doubt anyone is telling Buck his lineup for instance.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It probably varies by team.

I doubt anyone is telling Buck his lineup for instance.

They might be telling him, and he might look into the corner of the room and nod his head once or twice saying "okay. okay." and then go and do whatever he wants to anyways. 

I hadn't watched the movie 'Moneyball' until recently and was struck by how well Phillip Seymour Hoffman (RIP) could have played Buck, if he weren't playing Art Howe. I realize this has nothing to do with this, so apologies for any thread-derailment. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I hadn't watched the movie 'Moneyball' until recently and was struck by how well Phillip Seymour Hoffman (RIP) could have played Buck, if he weren't playing Art Howe. I realize this has nothing to do with this, so apologies for any thread-derailment. 

Yeah, perfect casting!

Very deserving, congratulations to Hyder! Managing a team of young still-developing players, and so many waiver claims, to a 31 game improvement is impressive. For me, it isn’t as much about the wins as it is about the improvement of players and overall team competitive performance. He managed an interesting clubhouse and seemed to have maintained the respect of his players throughout. 

They played a ton of close games this year, 23-24 in one run games, which is not an extraordinary number. I could not readily find a stat to define it, but it seemed as though they were nearly always in the game. They were 8-5 in extra innings, and had a run differential of -14. They were 20th in MLB with a .695 OPS. They were 21st at home with a .690 OPS, better than I expected with the wall change. The pitching was 17th in MLB with a 3.97 ERA, and 15th in home ERA at 3.73. It surprised me, somewhat, that these stats were not much different home vs. away.

The pen was a huge bright spot, and over-used at times, and a lot of improvement from several of the young starters. Marked improvement from Mateo, Urias, Santander and Jorge Lopez. Somewhat disappointing offensive performances in the second half from Mountcastle and Hays. A rookie catcher, even if it is Adley, has a lot of growing to do. He empowered a couple of vets in Chirinos, Odor and Lyles, and previously Mancini, to mold the clubhouse. All of whom knew they were likely not long term pieces here. I believe Cedric began to take on more leadership as the season went on as well.

We can point to some flawed lineups, and some questionable game decisions, sure. I think we could do that for any manager. This was well-deserved. Especially for a man who has endured some really awful teams over the past few years. 

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you say there was much difference in how he managed in 2022 and how he was in previous seasons?

I'd say yes, because in each of the prior years he managed a team that often was losing 6-0 in the third and he's just trying to get to the postgame presser without serious incident.

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, for Sporting News.  Not the official award...yet.

For the youngins, the Sporting News was the periodical for baseball for many years.  Early 1900s until probably the 1980s. I used to subscribe at the tail end of that period. Before the internet the Sporting News and the somewhat more obscure Baseball America were the only real sources for minor league results and numbers.  The Sporting News gives out these awards because 80 years ago they were almost as prestigious as the official league awards, and I think they gave out some of them in years the leagues didn't do anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For the youngins, the Sporting News was the periodical for baseball for many years.  Early 1900s until probably the 1980s. I used to subscribe at the tail end of that period. Before the internet the Sporting News and the somewhat more obscure Baseball America were the only real sources for minor league results and numbers.  The Sporting News gives out these awards because 80 years ago they were almost as prestigious as the official league awards, and I think they gave out some of them in years the leagues didn't do anything.

One thing The Sporting News does is give out a  Player of the Year Award.  I like it because (1) there is no quibbling about whether team success made a player “most valuable,” and (2) there us no debate about whether a pitcher should be considered.   In fact, the first three winners, starting in 1936, were pitchers.  However, pitchers haven’t won very often in recent years.  And, I don’t always agree with the choices.   For example, Mike Trout has only won the award once, whereas Jose Altuve won twice in a row.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thing The Sporting News does is give out a  Player of the Year Award.  I like it because (1) there is no quibbling about whether team success made a player “most valuable,” and (2) there us no debate about whether a pitcher should be considered.   In fact, the first three winners, starting in 1936, were pitchers.  However, pitchers haven’t won very often in recent years.  And, I don’t always agree with the choices.   For example, Mike Trout has only won the award once, whereas Jose Altuve won twice in a row.   

Never bet against humanity's ability to find the slightest ambiguity and hammer on it until no fun can be had and no logic can be found in your results.

There could be a Best Player in the Major Leagues in 2022 Award and someone would vote for Lourdes Gurriel and back it up with a 3000-word article mocking anyone who thinks it should be Ohtani or Stanton.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Never bet against humanity's ability to find the slightest ambiguity and hammer on it until no fun can be had and no logic can be found in your results.

There could be a Best Player in the Major Leagues in 2022 Award and someone would vote for Lourdes Gurriel and back it up with a 3000-word article mocking anyone who thinks it should be Ohtani or Stanton.

Well, I’d mock anyone who thinks it should be Stanton, but I think you meant to say Judge.  All behemoths look alike.  

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think I had a subscription to the Sporting News but discovered Baseball America from a HS classmate somewhere around 1975-76.    It came out every two weeks and the minor league stats were about 10 days to 2 weeks old by the time it hit the newstands but it was still a big deal at the time.     

Edited by RZNJ