Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was playing a baseball simulation game that's pretty realistic and deep called Out of The Park Baseball 24, and I found a trade to get an Ace left handed pitcher. All I had to do was trade Mateo and Baker to the Braves to get Max Fried.

How much control does Fried have?  I would do that trade all day if it's more than this year.

If the O's were to make a trade for, say, someone like Shane Bieber (obviously the Guardians would have to fall out of contention first), then I think they'd have to trade one of Holliday/Ortiz/Westburg as part of a package, and not Mateo.  With their seriously deep farm system I think other teams would want to draw from their top prospects, not a veteran like Mateo.  But if a contending team like the Dodgers needs a more reliable up the middle guy, then it would presumably someone like Mateo they would be eyeing (assuming Mateo keeps hitting of course).  But it's hard to imagine the O's trading Mateo to the Dodgers (or anybody) if the O's remain in contention (unless Mateo stops hitting and becomes a throw-in sell low candidate).  If he keeps hitting and getting on base it's hard to imagine a Mateo trade unless the O's start to fade.  

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

How much control does Fried have?  I would do that trade all day if it's more than this year.

I think this says he has 2 years of team control before free agency...

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/max-fried-21155/

He's currently on the IL with a hamstring strain. I bet the Braves would do that all day too with the way things stand. Mateo and Baker are the better players while Max is dealing with a nagging injury.

• Haha 1

Mateo has a 1.1 bref war so far this season and has 3 years of control. Only trade this guy when you have proven replacements, and a 1-3 SP packaged return. 
This may be why the O’s got Frazier, for analytical depth: Gunner’s second year, Urias, and no proven mlb experience with prospects 

I'd like to see Gunnar get more practice at 1 position and cut down on the errors in the field before we can even think about any type of trade. All I know is Mateo has earned his spot and he's playing like an All Star right now. Plus, it's impossible to teach the talented athleticism and elite speed that Mateo is gifted with. (Granted, Gunnar is gifted with a lot of talent and athleticism in his own right, but Mateo is on another level.)

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Agreed.

How in the world could you agree to "As a one year fill in why would age even matter? And Mateo already peaked last season. There's literally no where for him to go but down." at this time with the start Mateo has had to the season????????????????? What player are you watching???????????????

That comment by Hakuna had SOME validity on Feb 28 butt doesn't today.

9 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

How in the world could you agree to "As a one year fill in why would age even matter? And Mateo already peaked last season. There's literally no where for him to go but down." at this time with the start Mateo has had to the season????????????????? What player are you watching???????????????

That comment by Hakuna had SOME validity on Feb 28 butt doesn't today.

Actually, it was completely invalid on February 28th. I just wanted to bump the ridiculous comments.

• Upvote 1