Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

You cherry picked one stat.

Calling ERA+ a cherry pick when evaluating a pitcher's career average is like calling W-L record a cherry pick when evaluating which team has played better. 

17 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Calling ERA+ a cherry pick when evaluating a pitcher's career average is like calling W-L record a cherry pick when evaluating which team has played better. 

Good effort, but it's really nothing like that.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

You cherry picked one stat.

It’s the simplest stat there is for comparing a pitcher’s performance, because it weeds out the league-wide run scoring environment and the ballpark.   So I didn’t cherry-pick it, it’s my personal go-to stat when it comes to how a pitcher performed.   What would you prefer?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s the simplest stat there is for comparing a pitcher’s performance, because it weeds out the league-wide run scoring environment and the ballpark.   So I didn’t cherry-pick it, it’s my personal go-to stat when it comes to how a pitcher performed.   What would you prefer?

I don't think any one stat should be used to compare performance. That is why there are lots of stats. I think WHIP and FIP are also valuable.

Cease has career averages of 1.30 WHIP and 3.86 FIP. Not that great.

His BB/9 has been bad throughout his career, his 4.0 in '23 matched his career average.

While the Orioles’ offer was enough to sway the Brewers, it apparently wasn’t enough to get the White Sox to move Dylan Cease, another pitcher known to be on Baltimore’s list of potential targets.  USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports that the O’s “offered basically the same package” to White Sox, as well as an unknown additional player.  The larger size of the offer probably reflects the fact that Cease is arbitration-controlled through the 2025 season while Burnes is only controlled through 2024, yet it still wasn’t enough to meet Chicago’s asking price for Cease’s services.

That was from an old friend, @markpolis at MLB Trade Rumors.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not expecting it, but if sure wouldn’t shock me.   ZiPS has his median projection at 3.32, with his 80th percentile projection at 2.76.   So, I’d guesstimate ZiPS thinks he’s got about a 1 in 3 chance of posting an ERA under 3.   

Someone may or may not know the answer to this.....but did Burnes's ZiPS projection change at all when he was traded to the Orioles, as in, do they take the home stadium and team defense into account for those projections?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

Understandable that Cease would cost a little more because of the extra year (as has been discussed ad nauseum) but glad Elias didn’t offer more since unlike Burns, Cease is not a true ace. 

Elias did offer more.  He said he offered the Burnes package plus an undisclosed player.  This player could be assumed to have less value than Cowser or Hall, but its still more value.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Elias did offer more.  He said he offered the Burnes package plus an undisclosed player.  This player could be assumed to have less value than Cowser or Hall, but its still more value.

I meant offer more as in, meet Getz’ asking price. 

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

😂

Funny stuff. Kind of crazy that they’re holding onto Cease and hoping for a ST injury with Montgomery and Snell still on the market. Something tells me that Getz doesn’t want to make a trade because they might be decent in the AL Central. 

This all might work out for us and we get Mitch Keller at the deadline instead. 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Funny stuff. Kind of crazy that they’re holding onto Cease and hoping for a ST injury with Montgomery and Snell still on the market. Something tells me that Getz doesn’t want to make a trade because they might be decent in the AL Central. 

This all might work out for us and we get Mitch Keller at the deadline instead. 

Barring some serious injury to one of our starters I think we’ll be looking for relief help at the deadline personally.