Why Ryan O’Hearn Must Go (Sorry, Ryan)

RZNJ

On 1/15/2024 at 10:48 AM, RZNJ said:

You referenced one band I never heard of with another band I’ve never heard of.  Lol

The Swampers were the studio band at Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, AL.  They are the band behind numerous huge hits and at one point spent a summer touring as the band for someone big (can't remember who).  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure where he plays everyday though. We need the DH spot for Kjerstad/Adley. 

Elias/Hyde like position flexibility. Having DH flexibility really helps with that. I don't see Elias ever having a DH only starter. 18 different players DHed last year.

• Upvote 1

Its hard to see a path to O'Hearn commanding much (any?) trade return while the hedge fund GM's probe for how cheap Brandon Belt and Joey Votto would play 2024, assuming they don't do the Corey Kluber thing and call it a career.

If Erik Neander can roster Belt for a similar price, he can send some Raysian bragging text to Mike Elias. 

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Its hard to see a path to O'Hearn commanding much (any?) trade return while the hedge fund GM's probe for how cheap Brandon Belt and Joey Votto would play 2024, assuming they don't do the Corey Kluber thing and call it a career.

If Erik Neander can roster Belt for a similar price, he can send some Raysian bragging text to Mike Elias. 

A notch in the Belt, you might say...  

I'll see myself out.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Elias/Hyde like position flexibility. Having DH flexibility really helps with that. I don't see Elias ever having a DH only starter. 18 different players DHed last year.

Yep, I agree. They've shown no indication they want a full-time DH when they use it as sort of a semi-day off at times.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

True, and this is the flip side of trading O’Hearn… he’s worth way more to us than he would bring back in a trade.  However, Cowser, Kjerstad, and/or Mayo, could all force a O’Hearn trade if the they have big springs. 

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

We settled on $3.5 million.  500k more than we originally offered, but we did get a club option for next year, with O'Hearn scheduled for FA after this season.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We settled on $3.5 million.  500k more than we originally offered, but we did get a club option for next year, with O'Hearn scheduled for FA after this season.  

If we were to trade him, does that club option carry over to the new team? 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Something tells me we won't be picking up that option lol

We're covered in case he is for real the next guy in the Jose Bautista, JD Martinez, Justin Turner kind of line.    DJ Stewart might want a referral on any private coach that can coach a player up on hitting fastballs when they are in their late 20's.

I'll joke a lot about pedigree and I do believe IRL Elias is confident in his evaluations (look at Rio Ruiz).   It would really be something if O'Hearn could outplay Mountcastle, Kjerstad, Mayo and Basallo in 2025.    

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We had offered $3.2 mm before, so it's $300  more, the midway point between asked and offered.   I can't imagine we'd exercise the option, but having it enhances O'Hearn's trade value a bit, in case he has a good year.