Colton Cowser 2024

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The problem is Hays already swings away too often and he might press it even more trying to get out of this slump further contributing to his downward spiral. Extra work is fine, but Hays had got to relax at the plate and force the pitcher to throw strikes.

Sadly Hays has always been a free swinger. He has never shown to consistently see pitches, work the count and he just frankly swings for the downs every time. It has never matched the player profile Elias strives for and with that, if you aren’t going to get value from him, he simply has to be sent down to make way for someone who’s ceiling is much higher like Stowers or Kjerstad. It’s unfortunate, but he has to get his mind right. Maybe mashing in AAA will get his confidence back and he can come back like Mully when he was sent down or Greyson when he was sent down.

it isn’t the end of the world, but come May if he doesn’t figure it out, Hyde knows he’s going to have to make room for someone who can. 

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your starting left Fielder Colton Cowser. 

Let's hope that Cowser's status as an established player gets him lots of rope if he has a brief, half-season slump.

Seriously, I assume Hays will start tomorrow vs the lefty since it's the only 1 the Orioles will face for a while.  If he simply enters for Cowser when a LHP is inserted and starts vs LHP, he'll get more ABs than Colton.  However, we are at the point where Cowser deserves some test ABs and starts vs LHP and not just the RHP platoon role.

Absolutely love Cowser's inside-out approach and I think we've seen that when Mountcastle is at his best he hits a mess of balls to RF. 

Edited by Filmstudy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Explosivo said:

If hays continues to scuttle…I think it might be time to send him down to AAA to figure it out and bring Stowers up. Stowers does have success against lefties so he might be a good backup for both Cowser and Mully.

Handicapping this right now (and assuming the information about the remaining option is correct), I'd say the odds of Hays being sent to the minors is between 5 and 15%, so far from impossible.  To take a shot at what it might take, I'd say Cowser continuing to hit and another 2 or 3 for 20 from Hays ought to do it.  Then Hays would not be able to displace Cowser and Elias could fairly say the only way to get him right is by playing every day at AAA.  Remember, this is a team that sent the AL WHIP leader to the minors last year to get right.

If Hays is sent down, I think Norby will be the callup to get another RH stick in a LH lineup.  His service time is not a concern at this point (as it is with Mayo) and I don't see what more he has to prove at AAA.

Edited by Filmstudy

How awesome was it that Hyde have a rookie the green light on a 3-0 pitch in extra innings?  I wonder if he gets that green light if the game is tied?

If Hays can get the bat rolling - just think of the luxury of having a rotation of Hays, Tony, Ced, and Cowser in the OF.  Hays and Cowser both being able to play all 3 OF positions.  You could rest guys,  give guys some time off to heal from nagging injuries as they happen,  and have guys fresh for a playoff run.   That would be huge. 

6 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Sadly Hays has always been a free swinger. He has never shown to consistently see pitches, work the count and he just frankly swings for the downs every time. It has never matched the player profile Elias strives for and with that, if you aren’t going to get value from him, he simply has to be sent down to make way for someone who’s ceiling is much higher like Stowers or Kjerstad. It’s unfortunate, but he has to get his mind right. Maybe mashing in AAA will get his confidence back and he can come back like Mully when he was sent down or Greyson when he was sent down.

it isn’t the end of the world, but come May if he doesn’t figure it out, Hyde knows he’s going to have to make room for someone who can. 

Good grief, they’re not gonna send Hays down because he has a two week bad start. He’s a RH, which is something we need. He’s a solid defensive OF. And both of those things are not true of Stowers/Kjerstad. Also, just the idea of sending down a 5 year vet because he got off to a slow start is completely unrealistic and would be a morale killer. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I see that. Reality is cruel.

Even if it’s not with the Orioles, Hays will still be in the Major Leagues next year and going forward. It’s not little league. These guys are all pros and understand how the business of baseball works. I’m sure Hays, Santander, and even Mullins for that matter, have all understood that they are probably not here for the long haul. They know that they are not just playing for the 2024 Orioles, but auditioning for the other 29 teams (well 28 teams because Oakland/Sacramento/Vegas is such a mess). It’s all part of the business of baseball and sports in general. Anyone can loose their job if they are not performing/get injured and someone who is younger/cheaper comes along and starts performing better.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Even if it’s not with the Orioles, Hays will still be in the Major Leagues next year and going forward. It’s not little league. These guys are all pros and understand how the business of baseball works. I’m sure Hays, Santander, and even Mullins for that matter, have all understood that they are probably not here for the long haul. They know that they are not just playing for the 2024 Orioles, but auditioning for the other 29 teams (well 28 teams because Oakland/Sacramento/Vegas is such a mess). It’s all part of the business of baseball and sports in general. Anyone can loose their job if they are not performing/get injured and someone who is younger/cheaper comes along and starts performing better.

DJ Stewart had a dong last night.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Amazing what happens when you give talented players actual playing time

I have to give you your flowers on this one. Because you really believed in Cowser’s talent and really defended him last season, when he didn’t show much in his limited stint.

All I can say is that you were right! And I’m glad that the team didn’t listen to the rest of us idiots…lol