Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But that was because the Mets have a history with Hoskins when he was on the Phillies. 

What’s the difference of the “why”?   Benches clear and bullpens clear all of the time without any punches ever being thrown.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s early, but based on the Burnes interview he doesn’t seem to view the Orioles as a glass of water in the desert.  He was given a number of opportunities to be effusive in his praise of the Orioles organization and opted to be slightly more muted.  He seems like a guy that at the moment sees this as a way station on his way to his ultimate destination.  This is not to say that he won’t try his hardest or doesn’t see the team as a contender, merely that he doesn’t seem to be so impressed that the Orioles as an organization are any better than Milwaukee.   I think we as fans want to believe the team and organization are special, but it might be that they a very good organization among a handful of other very good organizations. 

I think it’s no secret that Burnes will be elsewhere this time next year. He knows that, the organization knows that, I hope most fans know that. Just because he’s currently on the team doesn’t mean he has to be some kind boot licker.

Just now, spleen1015 said:

I don't see Elias doing that with Povich's 12 AAA starts and <60 IP.

I didn’t mean that soon. But around June, if things aren’t looking well with Bradish, Means, Irvin and Wells.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think it’s no secret that Burnes will be elsewhere this time next year. He knows that, the organization knows that, I hope most fans know that. Just because he’s currently on the team doesn’t mean he has to be some kind boot licker.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to be a bootlicker. Not knowing your teammates names and using the word "them" when discussing the team and not us is a bit off-putting.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, oriole said:

Agreed but, e.g., with the Ravens you see guys come through that are likely not stopping but still are effusive in their praise of the org. Probably just speaks more of how good the Brewers org and culture is. 

Edited by baltfan

Did you people actually watch the Burnes interview on Foul Territory?  The "they" comment was in reference to the AAA team.  They asked him if the O's club house was aware of what Norfolk is doing down there and do the O's check them out.  He replied, "We've been seeing it.  The guys in our club house have played with a lot of those guys. "  He then mentions all the guys mashing for Norfolk by name.  He calls Stowers, "Stowser"; but gets everyone else's name right.  He then goes on to say how tough it is for the AAA  guys,  "The lineup that we have can produce 10 runs on any given night is pretty special and the depth that this organization has is kind of scary for years to come."     

Regarding Holliday, he mentions he told Jackson to stay away from him because of all the cameras and hype.   He said he would talk to Jackson when the hype dies down to ensure he is comfortable.  Honestly, I view that as veteran leadership.  Nothing Burnes said was douchie in any way.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Wells looked pretty bad.  I thought he threw harder.  His fastball was 91-92.  He hung a few sliders and got torched.  I saw his other start was pretty good, so I don't know if he just had an off night, or if he is as bad as he looked tonight.  But he did not look like a capable MLB starter tonight.  If he and Irvin continue to stink, we have real problems because I don't know who else can start?  We may see Means again at some point, I hope, but this is the most glaring problem right now...

Heasley looked beyond bad.  He may have pitched himself out of the MLB tonight.  That's too bad....

The Brewers pitcher looked really good.  96 MPH heat and his slider had every single Oriole fooled all night long.  11 Ks I think...   and it sucked to see Joey Ortiz nail 3 hits off us.... (although we have Corbin Burnes, so I guess that's good.)

Cowser is the only guy hitting for the O's right now.  Boy- he's locked in.  Confident.  Solid contact.  I hate the "Moo-ing" but I think we're stuck with it...  The rest of the team is collectively struggling at the dish.  Hays looks totally lost.  Westburg and Henderson are hitting .200 (although with occasional well-timed home runs).  Sadly, Holliday looks completely overwhelmed...  I sat next to his dad tonight.  That had to be tough to watch.  

Hitting is always streaky and I think some guys may heat up.  The starting pitching has me concerned.  After Burnes and Rodriguez, I don' think we have enough...

I would call up Heston and Mayo at the min.  Trade or cut Urias and Hays.  They do nothing for the team.

Consider cutting Mullins.  

All 3 of those are complete black holes and will not be here next year.  So why keep them if they are not part of the future. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Agree. He has at best a 15% chance of being with this team past this year.

Just what it is.

3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Orioles pitching got exposed. They do not have enough starting pitching or middle relief.

And it's better not to count on Means, he's always injured.

I think this team is a starting pitcher short and also one reliever if the goal is to make a deep playoff run. Even if Bradish and Means come back Elias should still trade for a starting pitcher.

Wells and possibly Irvin in the bullpen could be the fix instead of also having to trade for a relief pitcher.n

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think this team is a starting pitcher short and also one reliever if the goal is to make a deep playoff run. Even if Bradish and Means come back Elias should still trade for a starting pitcher.

Wells and possibly Irvin in the bullpen could be the fix instead of also having to trade for a relief pitcher.n

If Means or Bradish pitch this year?   We should be good.