The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Yeah, I just mentioned in another thread I wouldn't be shocked if on some days we see Hays in CF and Kjerstad in LF at home.

I find it odd that Hays hasn’t played any CF yet this year, especially if that report is accurate.

Its also odd that we haven’t seen Mateo out there some, again if that report is true.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I find it odd that Hays hasn’t played any CF yet this year, especially if that report is accurate.

Its also odd that we haven’t seen Mateo out there some, again if that report is true.

Mateo catfished them into 2B for a lot longer than anyone expected I think. He had a pretty long run going this year.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins and Cowser are faster.

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

I don't think Hays has the range to play CF, at least well anymore.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel that I've seen his defensive analytics for CF posted somewhere here that showed that.  

But that’s kind of the point. If he can’t do that and you feel you need a RH hitter that can, why keep Hays?  There has to be a roster crunch somewhere.  You can’t have everything.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s kind of the point. If he can’t do that and you feel you need a RH hitter that can, why keep Hays?  There has to be a roster crunch somewhere.  You can’t have everything.

The Orioles have seemed reluctant to part with veteran players to make room for prospects. I thought last offseason we would see Hays or Santander traded for pitching help in some form, but Elias brought back the entire staring outfield. Between Cowser and Kjerstad it was a reasonable assumption they could absorb the void created by trading Hays. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree.  As much as everyone talks about our outfield depth, it's not as shiny upon further review. 

• LF: Cowser (CF), Hays, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and maybe O'Hearn.  None are ideal.  Cowser is good defensively anywhere in the OF, but may be best suited for CF with Mullins' struggles.  Hays can't hit RHP.  Kjerstad seems like a below average OF to me, in LF or RF, but doesn't have the range for our LF.  HK will likely be our RF (or DH) beginning next season unless we resign Santander, but in the meantime needs to get his AB's somewhere. Stowers seems solid defensively in LF/RF, but the team doesn't seem to trust him up here for long.  IMHO, Norby seems like he's best suited to DH, but can fill in at 2B and LF.  
  • CF: Cowser (LF), Mullins, and maybe Mateo. No CF prospects on the farm are ready to be solid contributors and may not be for a couple of years. 
  • RF: Santander, Kjerstad, Stowers, and O'Hearn.  We're good this season.

We'll see what happens after the season, but I'd be disappointed if Hays returns, and to some degree, Mullins as well.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Mullins' future here is a tough one to gauge.  The Phillies would probably be happy to have him, but I don't see Ced moved this season.   If Elias were interested in moving Ced, maybe a rental reliever like Seranthony Dominguez (29) would make sense?  Naturally, adding a CF would be important... a RHH one would be ideal, and there are a few available.

Mullins to the Phillies for a RP is a very interesting idea. Their pen is insanely deep and they could deal from it if they want to hold prospects, or just deal for a lesser rental RP to backfill. Dominguez is probably the one they would move, but I’m not a huge fan of him. I’d love to find a way to get one of their other RPs, particularly Kerkering, but I don’t think the Phillies move any of the others.

Dombroksi is a very aggressive GM though, he’s going to get a CF. It’s pretty much their only deadline need. I think CWS will want too much for Robert and PHI will end up with Chisholm, but Mullins could under the radar be in some demand at the trade deadline (despite his terrible season so far) if there are multiple teams who want CFers.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I agree.  As much as everyone talks about our outfield depth, it's not as shiny upon further review. 

• LF: Cowser (CF), Hays, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and maybe O'Hearn.  None are ideal.  Cowser is good defensively anywhere in the OF, but may be best suited for CF with Mullins' struggles.  Hays can't hit RHP.  Kjerstad seems like a below average OF to me, in LF or RF, but doesn't have the range for our LF.  HK will likely be our RF (or DH) beginning next season unless we resign Santander, but in the meantime needs to get his AB's somewhere. Stowers seems solid defensively in LF/RF, but the team doesn't seem to trust him up here for long.  IMHO, Norby seems like he's best suited to DH, but can fill in at 2B and LF.  
  • CF: Cowser (LF), Mullins, and maybe Mateo. No CF prospects on the farm are ready to be solid contributors and may not be for a couple of years. 
  • RF: Santander, Kjerstad, Stowers, and O'Hearn.  We're good this season.

We'll see what happens after the season, but I'd be disappointed if Hays returns, and to some degree, Mullins as well.

CF is the one uncertain position we have imo.

Bradfield has the potential but he’s coming along slowly and honestly, if he doesn’t get to AA and show something good there this year, I think I start to have a lot of doubts about him.

It’s why Robert is still a player I go after. He can play a good CF and gives us another RH bat. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mullins to the Phillies for a RP is a very interesting idea. Their pen is insanely deep and they could deal from it if they want to hold prospects, or just deal for a lesser rental RP to backfill. Dominguez is probably the one they would move, but I’m not a huge fan of him. I’d love to find a way to get one of their other RPs, particularly Kerkering, but I don’t think the Phillies move any of the others.

Dombroksi is a very aggressive GM though, he’s going to get a CF. It’s pretty much their only deadline need. I think CWS will want too much for Robert and PHI will end up with Chisholm, but Mullins could under the radar be in some demand at the trade deadline (despite his terrible season so far) if there are multiple teams who want CFers.  

Philly probably ends up with Robert 

We're fine in CF.  We can improve our offense at 3B with Mayo.  Holliday can be added to the IF in September, and Mayo can take some ABs from Mounty then.  I think we're good on offense internally.  I say roll with the youngins.  

Let's get Fedde, a RH High Leverage Releiver, and take this WS down.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We're fine in CF.  We can improve our offense at 3B with Mayo.  Holliday can be added to the IF in September, and Mayo can take some ABs from Mounty then.  I think we're good on offense internally.  I say roll with the youngins.  

Let's get Fedde, a RH High Leverage Releiver, and take this WS down.  

None of this would surprise me.  It will be interesting whether Holliday is brought up before or after the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline. 

8 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

None of this would surprise me.  It will be interesting whether Holliday is brought up before or after the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline. 

IIRC, he just has to be within the org, then activated on September 1st.  Remember Jorge Lopez last year.  We picked him up and then activated him 9/1.  

Some combo, or maybe all 3, of McDermott, Beavers, and Norby, should land Fedde.  It sucks we have to give so much, but we lost Bradish.  Fedde is a 1-1 replacement for Bradish.  Hopefully, he's the bridge to Bradish coming back in 2026.  Theoretically, we could get a comp pick for Fedde too.  But that is way down the road.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

IIRC, he just has to be within the org, then activated on September 1st.  Remember Jorge Lopez last year.  We picked him up and then activated him 9/1.  

Some combo, or maybe all 3, of McDermott, Beavers, and Norby, should land Fedde.  It sucks we have to give so much, but we lost Bradish.  Fedde is a 1-1 replacement for Bradish.  Hopefully, he's the bridge to Bradish coming back in 2026.  Theoretically, we could get a comp pick for Fedde too.  But that is way down the road.  

Those 3 players would be a ridiculous overpay for Fedde. Just insane, really.