O's on top 100 lists

QBsILLEST1

Alright, now that we know Matusz will still appear at the top of our prospect lsist as well atop most other publications overall prospect lists, who else do you think will be on the lists, where and why....

I feel Matusz will be a top 5 prospect in baseball as well as a good chance at bveing #1. Strasburg IMO is who stands in his way and it all depends on what the publications feel on Strasburg having not thrown a pro pitch yet...

I also feel Arrieta will be in the top 30, Mayo had him around 15 I believe on his recent list about a month ago. He is another surefire top 100 candidate. Though he had some rough spots in AAA, he still did well, especially if you view his season as a whole rather than forget his succcess at Bowie(as people are doing with Snyder)

Zach Britton, should and will appear on many lists. IMO he will be somewhere around the 75-100 range though he may be deserving of higher. Itll take another season before he gets noticed as the truely elite prospect that he seems to have become. Hes guiven up less runs every level he moves up as well as misses more bats and continues to keep his BB/9 around a decent rate, not to mention he is elite when it comes to inducing Gbs. Some have compared him to Cahill, this we will see soon....

Josh Bell should creep onto the list, hes improved his defense at 3B as well as really improved his power numbers toward the end of the season. He has an excellent eye at the plate and is a switch hitter. I think he will be in the 90-100 range and may miss a list or 2.

Brandon Snyder held his own this year at AAA after destroying Bowie during the 1st half. He improved his discipline as well as maintained it even though he moved to a hgiher level in AAA. His power was beginning to come around in Bowie until his promotion to Norfolk which the park in Norfolk is horrible for hitting opposite field HRs. He could appear around the 100 range...

Brandon Erbe had IMO a breakout seaosn, but it all depends on the eye of the beholder. He was pretty dominant with a BAA in Bowie of .170 and only gave up 5.4 H/9 and had a 2.34 ERA there. His biggest knock was his inability to go deepper into games though it was due to his fatigued shoulder earlier the season. IMO he deserves a top 100 spot, but it depends on how prospect publications viewed the season....

So, Id say our hopefuls look pretty good. Now that Matusz sits at the top still, it doesnt look so bad and our system as a whole will still have a pretty lofty ranking IMO......

What do you guys think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, now that we know Matusz will still appear at the top of our prospect lsist as well atop most other publications overall prospect lists, who else do you think will be on the lists, where and why....

I feel Matusz will be a top 5 prospect in baseball as well as a good chance at bveing #1. Strasburg IMO is who stands in his way and it all depends on what the publications feel on Strasburg having not thrown a pro pitch yet...

I also feel Arrieta will be in the top 30, Mayo had him around 15 I believe on his recent list about a month ago. He is another surefire top 100 candidate. Though he had some rough spots in AAA, he still did well, especially if you view his season as a whole rather than forget his succcess at Bowie(as people are doing with Snyder)

Zach Britton, should and will appear on many lists. IMO he will be somewhere around the 75-100 range though he may be deserving of higher. Itll take another season before he gets noticed as the truely elite prospect that he seems to have become. Hes guiven up less runs every level he moves up as well as misses more bats and continues to keep his BB/9 around a decent rate, not to mention he is elite when it comes to inducing Gbs. Some have compared him to Cahill, this we will see soon....

Josh Bell should creep onto the list, hes improved his defense at 3B as well as really improved his power numbers toward the end of the season. He has an excellent eye at the plate and is a switch hitter. I think he will be in the 90-100 range and may miss a list or 2.

Brandon Snyder held his own this year at AAA after destroying Bowie during the 1st half. He improved his discipline as well as maintained it even though he moved to a hgiher level in AAA. His power was beginning to come around in Bowie until his promotion to Norfolk which the park in Norfolk is horrible for hitting opposite field HRs. He could appear around the 100 range...

Brandon Erbe had IMO a breakout seaosn, but it all depends on the eye of the beholder. He was pretty dominant with a BAA in Bowie of .170 and only gave up 5.4 H/9 and had a 2.34 ERA there. His biggest knock was his inability to go deepper into games though it was due to his fatigued shoulder earlier the season. IMO he deserves a top 100 spot, but it depends on how prospect publications viewed the season....

So, Id say our hopefuls look pretty good. Now that Matusz sits at the top still, it doesnt look so bad and our system as a whole will still have a pretty lofty ranking IMO......

What do you guys think?

I don't wanna claim I know a lot about this but I will give it a try.

Matusz: ranking 2-5 (I think Jason Heyward will be #1)

Arrieta: ranking 10-20 (His strong finish in AAA will put him in the top 20)

Bell: ranking 75-90 (I think he makes the list)

Britton: ranking 75-90 (He was the Carolina League's best pitcher he will make the list as well)

Snyder: wont make the list like Reimold didn't last year although he will get a mention as one of the last few out

Erbe: I think he is the wildcard in our system when he was healthy he put together great numbers but I believe most will overlook him cause of his ability to stay healthy and wont make a lot, if any,lists

Matusz, Arrieta, and Bell are the only guys who should be on everybody's lists. I think Britton will pop up on a few of them.

Snyder and Erbe I think just miss out, although they might make a list or two.

Considering how much talent we graduated this year, I think this is still pretty impressive.

Matusz, Arrieta, and Bell are the only guys who should be on everybody's lists. I think Britton will pop up on a few of them.

Snyder and Erbe I think just miss out, although they might make a list or two.

Yes, this I agree with, Snyder and Erbe will probably pop on a few lists, but not all of them. I do see Britton becoming an elite prospect though. He still has probably a full year at AA next year and a good portion of AAA the following year, by that time he could be way up there, unless he gets promoted to AAA after the ASB next year though he will still get a good ranking....

imo-

Matusz-Top 10

Bell 50-60

Arrieta-same as Bell

Britton-90-100

Ahh, I think Arrieta gets a better ranking. He did nothing to hurt his stock IMO he may have even improved it and in that case, with the graduation of other prospects, he should be higher than last year. But, it all depends on what the evaluator values of course....

Agree with Mackus - Matusz, Bell and Arrieta.

I think Britton and Hobgood may just miss some lists. I think Erbe and Snyder should be in the next 50, but probably not so close to Top 100 contention.

I forgot about Hobby, but he wouldnt appear mroe than likely anyway. If he does well in 2010 thats when we will begin to see him on top prospect lists....

Matusz should be top 5 or so. I don't think Arrieta will move up compared to where he was last year, in fact he may slip a couple notches. My personal opinion, Britton should be ranked about in the same spot as Arrieta, maybe above him. I think you'll see Bell and Erbe in the 75-100 range on some lists. My guess is you won't find Snyder.

As a whole where does the O's farm system rank now? Comparing this group to last year's I'd think we'd slip a few spots to somewhere between 12 and 15.

I think we are gonna be where we were last year. Right around 9 maybe even up a slot or 2. You gotta remember, with all these possible ROY's thats a whole ton of systems bcoming depleted. Oakland lost its top 2 prospects, not to mention Bailey, Mazaro and Ynoa was injured so his prospect status suffered.

Texas graduated a few as well. And yes, this year's O's top prospects seems dwon from last year's, but our ranking isnt based off of comparisons to last year, its based of of comparisons to the other teams this year....

Tillman, Wieters and Reimold were the ones who ar e gonna hurt us, but we still have Matusz, we added Bell, Jacobson and Johnson. Snyder improved his stock this year slightly, Arrieta is gonna move up some slots, we added Givens and Hobgood. Not to mention that Matusz is gonna be another top 5 prospect atleast. And our depth really improved.....

Archived