O's on top 100 lists

QBsILLEST1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matusz will be top 5

Arrieta top 30

Bell in the 75-100

I think that Britton and Snyder will get mentioned. I think that Britton is still underrated by most (conversely could we be overrating him because we focus so much on our guys and unable to compare him to the rest of minor league prospects?). Erbe cannot be on the list until he returns to starter form in regards to conditioning and endurance. If Erbe is just a reliever do you still include him in the top 100 of all of baseball?

Matusz will be top 5

Arrieta top 30

Bell in the 75-100

I think that Britton and Snyder will get mentioned. I think that Britton is still underrated by most (conversely could we be overrating him because we focus so much on our guys and unable to compare him to the rest of minor league prospects?). Erbe cannot be on the list until he returns to starter form in regards to conditioning and endurance. If Erbe is just a reliever do you still include him in the top 100 of all of baseball?

No, Erbe isnt being looked at as a reliever, and rather than thinking of his endurance being down, is it possible that they were just taking it easy on his arm since the fatigue problem? If so, then he shouldnt be penalized, but the thought of him being a reliever is irrelivent because at this point he never has been labeled one or used as one, but if he were used as one then no definitely no top 100.

And I dont think we are over-rating him. He is getting some love from other places aside from us and is possibly aside from Matusz our 2nd best MiLB future starter. He basically possesses everythign you could ask for out of a starter....and he has a very high ceiling....

Anyone know where Bell was ranked last season by BA?

Not top 100, Im sure he woulda fallen onto the top 150 if BA does that, but this year his power numbers really came through and he hit pretty well and improved his fielding of his posotion while getting into better shape, he should be a top 100 guy most def....

I think you're all underestimating how highly outsiders now think of Britton.

Matusz - top 5

Arrieta - top 40

Britton - top 50

Bell - top 60

Erbe/Snyder - 75-honorable mention

Hobgood - no mention

Players to watch - Avery and Waring might get some hype. Small chance for Joseph (just a guess, based on his positive press)

I forgot about Hobby, but he wouldnt appear mroe than likely anyway. If he does well in 2010 thats when we will begin to see him on top prospect lists....

You might want to check and see how deep last year's draft went before players fell outside the top 100. I imagine it's been several years at least since the fourth or fifth draft pick in the first round did not make a top 100. Not saying this improves Hobgood's chances, just saying the dismissal above is a bit quick.

Yeah, but the people who make up these lists didn't have Hobgood as the 5th best player in the draft. I'd be shocked if Hobgood makes the list. The O's will put Matusz (if eligible), Britton, Arrieta, and Bell on the list. JMO

I think this is probably the closest, though I also think Britton/Hobgood should be a closer question than most (and both potentially in the 101-125 range right now). I'm not sure Hobgood's fastball/curve won't be better than Britton's fastball/slider as early as next spring, and I haven't been as enamored with Britton as some (though it certainly looks like I've been proven wrong in my last winter projection of Britton as a solid bullpen arm). He still looks like #3 ceiling to me, with Hobgood closer to #2. JMO

You might want to check and see how deep last year's draft went before players fell outside the top 100. I imagine it's been several years at least since the fourth or fifth draft pick in the first round did not make a top 100. Not saying this improves Hobgood's chances, just saying the dismissal above is a bit quick.

Not too far, in the 07 draft Pirates took Moskos over Wieters and Moskos has never been ranked. I also wouldn't be quick to dismiss it but I really don't think he will be ranked.

Not too far, in the 07 draft Pirates took Moskos over Wieters and Moskos has never been ranked. I also wouldn't be quick to dismiss it but I really don't think he will be ranked.

The Moskos pick was also derided from the moment it happened. Hobgood was somewhat a surprise, but not as unlikely as Moskos.

Good info - forgot about Moskos.

We'll see with Hobgood. If the rating agencies thought he was a top 10 talent on merit, he might make a run at a spot in the top 100, but, as I posted originally in this thread, I expect Hobgood (and Britton) to just miss the top 100.

From Baseball Prospectus today:

Mike (Philly): Zack Britton top 100 material?

Kevin Goldstein: Absolutely.

http://baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=649

Thoughts on the Orioles' Zach Britton. Is he top 100?

Jim Callis

(2:33 PM)

Not a Top 100 Prospect, but a legit guy. He's a sinker/slider pitcher who seems to get a little better each year.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/28093/mlb-with-jim-callis

Archived