Hernandez and Mickolio Watch

crissfan172

Gotta wonder what in the world AZ was thinking by trying Mickolio as a starter. The guy's mechanics can get out of whack in the middle of a pitch.

They didn't. He made 4 relief appearances covering 5 innings allowing 5 runs on 8 hits and a walk with 6 strikeouts. I read Silver's post wrong too at first.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all boils down to risk and reward, and I still like the return we got for DH. If he turns into an elite closer (and he has the stuff to possibly do that) than good for him. I wish him nothing but the best. Stuff wise, he looks better than Tillman and Bergy right now. Don't let the revisionist thing get you though, because at the time, most of us thought he was a lesser trading chip.

Mickolio is kind of intimidating but his mechanics aren't consistent and I don't think he will ever have consistent success at the major league level. I won't be unhappy if he has more success than I expect, but I really don't think we gave up much by trading him. Hernandez on the other hand was a major league asset. He should be a solid MLB reliever for a long time.

In that St. Louis game Hernandez was throwing 3 MPH harder than Mickolio, at least according to the stadium gun.

Hernandez seems real comfortable and confident out on the mound now. He looks overpowering most of the time. It's early, but it's starting to look like it has clicked for him, sort of the way it did for Jim Johnson when he went from starter to reliever and you could just see how confident he was.

In that St. Louis game Hernandez was throwing 3 MPH harder than Mickolio, at least according to the stadium gun.

Hernandez seems real comfortable and confident out on the mound now. He looks overpowering most of the time. It's early, but it's starting to look like it has clicked for him, sort of the way it did for Jim Johnson when he went from starter to reliever and you could just see how confident he was.

He did get behind 3-1 to the first guy, who singled up the middle.

Oh yeah...and it was a relief pitcher.

• 3 weeks later...

Hernandez had been real sharp and the D'Backs have a record of 11-1 when leading after the 8th inning. Which is really good since their record is only 13-16. His ERA has dipped below two and now sits at 1.88. Fastball was at 97 and 98 against the Rockies and has made great pitches when he has needed to.

W L ERA  G GS SV SVO IP   H  R ER HR BB SO  AVG  WHIP 1 0 1.88 15 0 0  0   14.1 11 4 3  1  7  12 .208  1.26 

Hernandez had been real sharp and the D'Backs have a record of 11-1 when leading after the 8th inning. Which is really good since their record is only 13-16.

The Orioles are 14-17, and they are 14-1 when leading after 8 innings. Leads aren't blown in the 9th inning all that often. The O's were 53-8 when leading after 8 innings last year, and that was their worst performance in many years, as bad as their bullpens have been. Remember, sometimes a team wins even when the save is blown in the 9th.

The Orioles are 14-17, and they are 14-1 when leading after 8 innings. Leads aren't blown in the 9th inning all that often. The O's were 53-8 when leading after 8 innings last year, and that was their worst performance in many years, as bad as their bullpens have been. Remember, sometimes a team wins even when the save is blown in the 9th.

Last year that wasn't the case for the D'Backs, they were pitiful!! So this is a mark improvement.

David is in the game in the bottom of the 9th right now against Posey. First two pitches were WAY high and out of the zone, 3rd was off the corner but he isn't feelin' it just yet.

Now against Huff he misses with the 1st pitch. 5 straight balls... come on DH! Pullin' for ya

Boy!! I bet we wish we had Hernandez now! Of course Showalter had his own nuggets and some of them(bullpen) turned out to be fools gold!! He seemed to find his niche and is pitching with a lot of confidence.

W L ERA  G  SV SVO IP   H  R ER HR HB BB IBB SO  AVG WHIP GO/AO K/9  [color=red]BB/9[/color]2 1 1.93 20 0   0  18.2 15 5 4  1  0  10  1  19 .214 1.34 0.41  9.16 [color=red]4.82[/color]

The red is the only concerned, but I can live with that because so far he's had nothing but good success.

Archived