Notre Dame Football 2014

incubus

I've read from the officials blog and just see different opinions. The one thing I do agree with there is why wasn't the same play flagged earlier in the game? I'm not a supporter of Kelly but I think he has a legitimate gripe here. If, as a coach I think the game is being called one way then I'd be upset at the call especially at that point in the game.

Notre Dame has had their share of calls in the past. In the end, I've seen them play enough to know they don't have the best team in the country this year. It was just disappointing to see the FSU game end that way.

First, the earlier play was much closer. Breaking it down with the help of the blue line we have on videos indicating the line of scrimmage, it does look as though that the first pass was first touched maybe a foot beyond the line of scrimmage. The linesman, of course, has no such blue line to help with that call. Typically, officials don't throw the flag if uncertain of a foul. Plays that are that close are let go pretty much most of the time. On the second play, the one with all the controversy, there is no doubt at all that the first touch by the receiver was clearly beyond the line.

Second, believe it or not, officials miss penalties. Happens all the time. Coaches will say to the official, "Hey, watch number 77, he is cutting my guy low while he is engaged with another blocker." The official will say something like. "OK, coach, we'll look for it." If it then happens again, the call is very likely to be made. If Florida State felt that Notre Dame had gotten away with offensive pass interference previously in the game, you can bet your last dollar that the officials got an earful. This is not unusual.

Getting away with a penalty is not, by any means, a legitimate reason to continue to commit the foul. It just isn't.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big game Saturday vs ASU without their best defender, Joe Schmidt, who's out for the remainder of the season with a broken ankle. They're going with a blue chip prospect from Illinois named Nyles Morgan to replace him.

Both teams have one loss and the winner can remain in contention for the playoffs.

A game filled with turnovers. What is really upsetting is that ND is filled with 3 4 and 5 star players. I want to hear what Brian Kelly has to say about this beat down.

For athletic as Golson is the turnovers are a problem. His height, or lack thereof, is also a problem. Two of his three interceptions were deflected at the line of scrimmage.

Turnovers are becoming the recurring theme to their season after a loss to Northwestern yesterday. I've never liked Kelly as a coach but losing to a 4-6 team on your home field is inexcusable and his players weren't the only ones responsible.

And their coach did not escape the lapses, with Kelly going for a questionable two-point conversion with the Irish ahead by 11 in the fourth quarter and deciding to run the ball with Northwestern out of timeouts when kneeling would have meant punting with less than 20 seconds remaining. McDaniel then fumbled, leading to Northwestern's tying field goal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-nu-football-spt-1116-20141115-story.html

He later admitted there was no advantage in the two point try. :rolleyes:

Turnovers are becoming the recurring theme to their season after a loss to Northwestern yesterday. I've never liked Kelly as a coach but losing to a 4-6 team on your home field is inexcusable and his players weren't the only ones responsible.

And their coach did not escape the lapses, with Kelly going for a questionable two-point conversion with the Irish ahead by 11 in the fourth quarter and deciding to run the ball with Northwestern out of timeouts when kneeling would have meant punting with less than 20 seconds remaining. McDaniel then fumbled, leading to Northwestern's tying field goal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-nu-football-spt-1116-20141115-story.html

He later admitted there was no advantage in the two point try. :rolleyes:

Agree 100%. Is it time to look for yet another coach?

• 2 weeks later...
Agree 100%. Is it time to look for yet another coach?

They won't fire Kelly even after his team's embarrassing final game performance vs SC, a team easily handled by UCLA the week before.

I know he's lost a key defender and his quarterback hasn't played well but he hand picked the guy. His offensive schemes rarely work or are innovative and that was supposed to be one of the big reasons he was hired. His recruiting classes have been above average though.

I've never been impressed with his demeanor on the field although he has calmed down more than when he first arrived, and yet his guys play for him. He's put together a 44-20 record, but three out of the five years he's coached at ND have been littered with five loss seasons. If that was Saban at Alabama they'd be calling for his head.

When is Urban Meyer's contract up?

They won't fire Kelly even after his team's embarrassing final game performance vs SC, a team easily handled by UCLA the week before.

I know he's lost a key defender and his quarterback hasn't played well but he hand picked the guy. His offensive schemes rarely work or are innovative and that was supposed to be one of the big reasons he was hired. His recruiting classes have been above average though.

I've never been impressed with his demeanor on the field although he has calmed down more than when he first arrived, and yet his guys play for him. He's put together a 44-20 record, but three out of the five years he's coached at ND have been littered with five loss seasons. If that was Saban at Alabama they'd be calling for his head.

When is Urban Meyer's contract up?

Man, I could not get behind Urban Meyer as NDs coach...

This season went downhill fast. I was at the Northwestern game, there were so many weird things going on in that game. Aside from the pointless 2pt attempt, the weather really factored into the game with all the turnovers, there were a ton of injuries, delaying the game, and the refs repeatedly reset the game clock. The latter 2 leading to the longest football game I have ever attended. Northwestern was also dragging their feet between every play. Many people were booing all the delays by the first few minutes of the 4th quarter. Probably half of the Northwestern fans had left by the 4th & didn't get to see something that only happens for them once in a generation.

• 4 weeks later...

Music City Bowl today @ 3pm on ESPN. Watch ND get stomped by LSU.

I reall feel this is a very uneven match-up. I am very suprised ND chose this bowl game. I guess if Zaire gets the ball early we will know Kelly is merely using the game to evaluate players for next year.

Man, I could not get behind Urban Meyer as NDs coach...

Because you're a fan of Brian Kelly and his wonderful coaching?

Come on, Meyer has won everywhere he's ever been and taking on the OSU job was no easy task. Years ago he said Notre Dame would be his dream job. It's just always been bad timing when it came time for us to hire a new coach.

Because you're a fan of Brian Kelly and his wonderful coaching?

Come on, Meyer has won everywhere he's ever been and taking on the OSU job was no easy task. Years ago he said Notre Dame would be his dream job. It's just always been bad timing when it came time for us to hire a new coach.

No, I don't feel one way or the other about Kelly. I just feel that the academic side is more important and think ND should be careful of the coaches they hitch their wagon to.

Patrick- I hope you are correct, but I just don't see it even being a close game. LSU has a monster Defense.

Archived