Manny to play on Domincan team in WBC next year

SteveA

How do MLB contracts address injuries suffered during activities like this?
Teams grant permission and assume all liability.

There have been some players who have been denied permission by their clubs in prior years IIRC.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct. But if a team grants permission, there is no recourse.

Deny, deny, deny. It's an honor, blah blah. If a player wants to risk his health playing the sport for which a ML team is already paying him, I think the player should assume the financial risk.

Deny, deny, deny. It's an honor, blah blah. If a player wants to risk his health playing the sport for which a ML team is already paying him, I think the player should assume the financial risk.

If you deny, the player can not play. He then has no recourse.

How many players have actually been hurt as a result of playing in the WBC? The risk seems low. Especially for position players. No different than Spring Training.

There were a couple Tommy Johns afterwards I think. Two I think.

Captain America and Tex both got hurt.

Tex missed a sizeable chunk of time.

Tex is always hurt, same with David Wright. Were the TJ's a direct result of the player pitching in the WBC? Seems a stretch. Elbow problems are usually a result of cumulative wear. I probably wouldn't want my pitchers throwing in the WBC if it was going to interupt their regular routine. Position players can have at it.

Manny's people are Dominican. No one is more passionate about baseball. If he wants to play for his people let him.

Kind of where I am on this. Plus, it would perhaps be risky to tick him off if there are inklings of a contract extension in the not too distant future. I'm guessing that denying him would put some unnecessary ice into the equation.

If the powers-that-be want the WBC to be taken seriously, to really be baseball's World Cup, they have a lot of issues to address including players getting to pick who they play for on a whim. I think that's an Olympic weak spot, too. Have some money and willing to pretend you're from another country? Good, now you're the curling team from St. Vincent and the Grenadines!

I like that in international soccer you pick a country you have citizenship in and as soon as you play a senior (i.e. adult) match for that country you're only eligible for them forever.

I guess I could get on board with the Greece baseball exception, since they hosted and nobody in Greece could make the cut on a decent adult rec league. Without Markakis and others it might have been 18-0 after the first inning.

Archived