ESPN top 100

bpilktree

So far espn top 100 has listed top players from 100-20.  The Orioles have not one guy on the list.  I assume Manny makes it but find it amazing that no other Orioles on the list.  I thought Jones would make in and Britton but I don't think they would be top 20 so Manny maybe our only guy. It amazes me How much Jones is always over looked.  Ryan Zimmerman is 33rd he has been awful last few years  and makes it based on hot 3 months.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jones isn't a top 100 player any more.    He was worth 1.4 fWAR last year, 0.2 this year.

If you look at the top 100 there are quite a few people he has been better then.  Billy Hamilton is in it the guy can't hit a lick.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

If you look at the top 100 there are quite a few people he has been better then.  Billy Hamilton is in it the guy can't hit a lick.

He's certainly an iffy choice.    He's a great defender and base stealer, but I'd be reluctant to put him in the top 100.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do any of us think that ESPN's goal was to give an accurate accounting of the top 100 players?

They seem to be very high on the stats for 3 months over what someone has done continually a very good player.  The list has Hamilton, zack Cosart, Eric Thames(who has been awful after hot start) andZimmerman just to name a few.

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

Machado might be the only top 100 player we have now. That sounds about right. You could maybe make a case for Schoop or Britton. That's it. 

Mancini is a top 100 player this season if we are going by numbers alone.  

If Schoop isn't in the 101-200 range then he should be in the top 100. 

If we are going by WAR you have: 70. Bundy 96. Mancini 127. Schoop (-.8 DEF hurts him) 154. Machado 155. Mychal Givens 166. Jones 200. Brach

It's silly that we don't have anyone ranked in the 101-200 range.  Since this is ESPN, Jones probably gets a top 100 ranking. Machado will be there of course.  Davis too.  If healthy he would likely be in the 101-200 range in WAR. 

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Winner! I have not watched that channel in years. 

I know it is cool to not like ESPN but how can a sports fan not watch ESPN in years?  There is a large number of games in virtually every sport but hockey on ESPN.

1 hour ago, POR said:

I know it is cool to not like ESPN but how can a sports fan not watch ESPN in years?  There is a large number of games in virtually every sport but hockey on ESPN.

I'm too old to worry about being cool. There was a time when I watched the channel all day but I just don't have the time anymore. I couldn't tell the last time I watched a MLB game on there. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Jones isn't a top 100 player any more.    He was worth 1.4 fWAR last year, 0.2 this year.

Correct.  If stats hold, this will be the second straight year his OPS+ and wRC+ are below 100.

That said, I am seeing 1.3 rWAR which is a big discrepancy over fWAR and as usual it seems defense is the talking point.

9 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Correct.  If stats hold, this will be the second straight year his OPS+ and wRC+ are below 100.

That said, I am seeing 1.3 rWAR which is a big discrepancy over fWAR and as usual it seems defense is the talking point.

I think you can argue about whether he's an above average or below average starter at this point, but I don't think you can seriously argue that he's a top 100 player now.    He certainly was one for several years, but he's just not as good as he used to be.    

Archived