Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

Anyone awake for this play last night?  Surreal?  Sublime?  Actually before the throw home, Villar eluded a tag at second on a steal, somehow, someway, and retreated to first with Gordon chasing.  Valera broke for home and Gordon clutched and threw home late.

Edited by bobmc
Villar's antics
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Anyone awake for this play last night?  Surreal?  Sublime?  Actually before the throw home, Villar eluded a tag at second on a steal, somehow, someway, and retreated to first with Gordon chasing.  Valera broke for home and Gordon clutched and threw home late.

The go-go O's!?

• Upvote 1

In the post-game interview, Villar did make it clear that he prefers shortstop and that the Brewers new coaching staff last year didn't let him run nearly as much as he wanted to.  He's happy that the O's let him run.  My impression based on what he said and the fact that Milawukee tried to use Schoop at SS - sounds like Villar was not happy in Milwaukee and that was likely the main reason for the trade.      

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

That was the most fun I've had watching an O's play in a long time. Incredible that VIllar dodged Gordon's tag and pursuit--his acceleration rate must be off the charts (Gordon being a speedster himself).

Valera's read of it was also impressive. Looks like the faster runners are developing and adding *between each other* a new mode of reads and go's, a new way of sensing the moment-to-moment dynamics of a game. Villar/Mullins/Peterson, then one level down to Rickard and Valera. Our hitters will have to learn how to do hit 'n run. Hope it rattles not only opposing pitchers but messes up some of the shifts and coverage by infields as well.

Such a change from the type of team we had at the outset of the season--and, of course, the last decade or so.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

That was the most fun I've had watching an O's play in a long time. Incredible that VIllar dodged Gordon's tag and pursuit--his acceleration rate must be off the charts (Gordon being a speedster himself).

Valera's read of it was also impressive. Looks like the faster runners are developing and adding *between each other* a new mode of reads and go's, a new way of sensing the moment-to-moment dynamics of a game. Villars/Mullins/Peterson, then one level down to Rickard and Valera. Our hitters will have to learn how to do hit 'n run. Hope it rattles not only opposing pitchers but messes up some of the shifts and coverage by infields as well.

Such a change from the type of team we had at the outset of the season--and, of course, the last decade or so.

Write on!  Mullins scoring on the hit to left was also a play not many O's would succeed with.

There are a few nice things going on and Cobb "anchoring" the staff is a nice thing.  I did not believe in him but I was wrong!  Is Valera Camargo light?  ?  He dumped a nice single into right.  Who says these O's are "tanking"?  Not the go go O's!

Edited by bobmc
go go O's! Mullins scores on JV knock

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was foolish for Villar to try for 2B, and that he was lucky to avoid the tag.    However, great job by him to extend the play and by Valera to react and head home.

I thought you weren't watching and "couldn't care less"?  ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was foolish for Villar to try for 2B, and that he was lucky to avoid the tag.    However, great job by him to extend the play and by Valera to react and head home.

In the post-game, Buck begged to differ with Thorne that the play was "nifty," but he thinks you've got to let Villar operate at his natural tempo and "push the envelope." He said some would call Villar "aggressive," others "reckless," but that it worked out, he'll call it aggressive for now, and "quite frankly" the team has needed "a little bit of that." So Buck's ambivalent, but senses that trying to control Villar would be futile.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

In the post-game, Buck begged to differ with Thorne that the play was "nifty," but he thinks you've got to let Villar operate at his natural tempo and "push the envelope." He said some would call Villar "aggressive," others "reckless," but that it worked out, he'll call it aggressive for now, and "quite frankly" the team has needed "a little bit of that." So Buck's ambivalent, but senses that trying to control Villar would be futile.

At this point let Villar be aggressive, Buck knows that he is auditing for a job next year.

If things were different, then you might want to put a bit of a leash on him, but for now, wth.