Bring up Mayo already!!

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os really overvalue Urias’ defense.

Between that and saying McCann has traditionally hit lefties, it’s apparent that the Os just aren’t looking at all info that is available.

And the fact that he mentions trading Mountcastle would be bad is laughable.   I like Mountcastle, but he does have long, horrible stretches of not hitting.

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Media cop out for the team. The old 27 man roster answer. Mayo is still hitting a homer every 11 AB’s which is more often than Gunnar current pace. 

You are comparing AAA pitching to MLB pitching ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Media cop out for the team. The old 27 man roster answer. Mayo is still hitting a homer every 11 AB’s which is more often than Gunnar current pace. 

I would say what Gunnar is doing (especially considering that they are the same age) is a bit… No, actually WAY MORE impressive.

Re Mayo’s defense, just a reminder that Tyler Nevin started 40 games at 3B for this team in 2022.   I realize we are a more competitive team now than we were then, but I’d be surprised if Mayo is a worse 3B than Nevin.   And he’s certainly got a lot more potential with the bat.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I would say what Gunnar is doing (especially considering that they are the same age) is a bit… No, actually WAY MORE impressive.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that. Just saying that his dominance at triple A level comparable to Gunnar’s MLB. Obviously there is possible regression but to point out Gunnar had career 894 OPS at triple A and 11 home runs in comparable number of AB’s. Gunnar was a year younger. 

Look at Cowser right now. He is hardly playing vs RHP. The roster will be different next year. It makes no sense in the middle of the year to deal Mountcastle who is a proven player just to feed at bats for a rookie. That’s an off-season move if you make it and I’m not saying they will.  

They aren’t going to call Mayo up and play him everyday at 3rd, that’s obvious. If he does come up he would DH or play some 3rd vs LHP. So the question is who do you send down and is it worth it to make the move? There are 70 games left and 25 of those in September. So there are 45 games left until the roster expansion. Plus the trade deadline is coming up. 

The biggest issue on the team right now offensively is the lack of a RH CF. They have not been willing to play Hays there. Perhaps that changes? I’m not sure. The whole issue with Mayo is it’s another Cowser situation where he will not be handed full time at bats. Elias has to weigh how important he would be to help hit LHP vs sending down someone/trading Urias for 45 games. 

He would fit perfectly as a RH DH option but the Orioles already have a LH DH in O’Hearn. I think a lot of these roster crunch issues will be over next year. Just going to require a little more patience. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Re Mayo’s defense, just a reminder that Tyler Nevin started 40 games at 3B for this team in 2022.   I realize we are a more competitive team now than we were then, but I’d be surprised if Mayo is a worse 3B than Nevin.   And he’s certainly got a lot more potential with the bat.  

Is the bat upside worth sending down a player/trading Urias for 45 games? That’s the question. 

For all the Orioles inconsistent offense lately they still lead the AL in runs scored.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great point.  We also kept Westburg and Ortiz on the bench last year in favor of Frazier.  It's time for Mayo.  No Excuses.  Send Cowser down for a few and let him cut down on his whiffs.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t think anyone is arguing that. Just saying that his dominance at triple A level comparable to Gunnar’s MLB. Obviously there is possible regression but to point out Gunnar had career 894 OPS at triple A and 11 home runs in comparable number of AB’s. Gunnar was a year younger. 

Not to take anything away from Mayo.

But I don’t think what he is doing is really and apples to apples comparison to what Gunnar did/is doing.

They are both born in 01’. Meaning that Gunnar’s accelerated development (two years ago) is more impressive IMO. I look at it this way, how many homers would Gunnar have if he was in AAA along with Mayo? Probably many more.

Mayo is an excellent offensive prospect (in his own right). I just don’t think that comparing players dominating at AAA is apropos to (the same aged players) dominating at the MLB level. 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

But I don’t think what he is doing is really and apples to apples comparison to what Gunnar did/is doing.

They are both born in 01’. Meaning that Gunnar’s accelerated development (two years ago) is more impressive IMO. I look at it this way, how many homers would Gunnar have if he was in AAA along with Mayo? Probably many more.

Mayo is an excellent offensive prospect (in his own right). I just don’t think that comparing players dominating at AAA is apropos to (the same aged players) dominating at the MLB level. 

Of course you can't compare AAA to MLB, but I think the poster was trying to say that Mayo is destroying AAA pitching the way Gunnar is up here.  Mayo can only go against the pitching he's facing.  So let's get him up here to face that pitching.  

Elias is risk adverse.  It's hard to criticize him for that.  But... do the play it safe option by not losing anyone, and option Cowser for 10 days.  He only has to be down for 10 days, and there is the ASB.  That gives Elias a short look at Mayo, and trade options for Urias.

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Another interesting comparison to get excited about is looking at Mayo’s 2024 in AAA (age 22) vs Westy in 2023 (age 24) before his call up. 

In about 25 less plate appearances, Mayo basically has the same number of Hits, Doubles, HRs and Walks. Similar slash except a higher SLG due to the extra base hits. Mayo just has a slightly higher K rate in the small sample. 

Westy was also beating down the door all of 2023 and IIRC, Elias made similar comments before the call up about being forced to find a spot for Westy. 

13 minutes ago, CTBear said:

Another interesting comparison to get excited about is looking at Mayo’s 2024 in AAA (age 22) vs Westy in 2023 (age 24) before his call up. 

In about 25 less plate appearances, Mayo basically has the same number of Hits, Doubles, HRs and Walks. Similar slash except a higher SLG due to the extra base hits. Mayo just has a slightly higher K rate in the small sample. 

Westy was also beating down the door all of 2023 and IIRC, Elias made similar comments before the call up about being forced to find a spot for Westy. 

The difference in comparison (and probably why Mayo is not already up) is the defense.

I don’t think anyone would credibly argue that is bat is not MLB ready.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The difference in comparison (and probably why Mayo is not already up) is the defense.

I don’t think anyone would credibly argue that is bat is not MLB ready.

Yeah it’s crazy how many positions Westy played in AAA. He might be the most versatile defender we have in the entire org

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Look at Cowser right now. He is hardly playing vs RHP. The roster will be different next year. It makes no sense in the middle of the year to deal Mountcastle who is a proven player just to feed at bats for a rookie. That’s an off-season move if you make it and I’m not saying they will.  

They aren’t going to call Mayo up and play him everyday at 3rd, that’s obvious. If he does come up he would DH or play some 3rd vs LHP. So the question is who do you send down and is it worth it to make the move? There are 70 games left and 25 of those in September. So there are 45 games left until the roster expansion. Plus the trade deadline is coming up. 

The biggest issue on the team right now offensively is the lack of a RH CF. They have not been willing to play Hays there. Perhaps that changes? I’m not sure. The whole issue with Mayo is it’s another Cowser situation where he will not be handed full time at bats. Elias has to weigh how important he would be to help hit LHP vs sending down someone/trading Urias for 45 games. 

He would fit perfectly as a RH DH option but the Orioles already have a LH DH in O’Hearn. I think a lot of these roster crunch issues will be over next year. Just going to require a little more patience. 

It makes plenty of sense to deal Mountcastle today, if the right deal is there.  This pearl clutching of these middling vets by this fan base is really crazy to me.

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Of course you can't compare AAA to MLB, but I think the poster was trying to say that Mayo is destroying AAA pitching the way Gunnar is up here.  Mayo can only go against the pitching he's facing.  So let's get him up here to face that pitching.  

Elias is risk adverse.  It's hard to criticize him for that.  But... do the play it safe option by not losing anyone, and option Cowser for 10 days.  He only has to be down for 10 days, and there is the ASB.  That gives Elias a short look at Mayo, and trade options for Urias.

Seems obvious they are waiting for the trade deadline, OR to preserve Mayo’s rookie status for next year (mid to late August call up)