How far can the Tarheels go in the tourney?

Sports Guy

Here is a look at Lunardi's current teams that he has in that 3-5 seed range:

Vandy

UCONN

Zona

Louisville

Cuse

SDSU

G'Town

St Johns

Florida

Wisconsin

UNC

Out of all the teams on that list, UNC is the most dangerous IMO. Now, obviously some of those teams will match up better than UNC may with someone but still, generally speaking, UNC is a team I would hate to see in my bracket if I were a 1 or 2 seed.

Let's take a look at UNC....

According to the Pomeroy rankings, UNC is 10th. They are second in the country at defensive efficiency but they are just outside of the top 50 in offensive efficiency(no team has won the title outside of the top 10 in the last 10 years).

But this is also a different team now than it was mainly because of Marshall...He is infinitely better than Drew was and his ability to control the game has been a huge plus for UNC.

UNC has a lot of size and length. They are #1 in the country in rebounding and 19th in the country in blocked shots.

Where UNC struggles is with their shooting. They are only shooting 45% from the field and that is with their 2 big men, Zeller and Henson, shooting over 50%.

They are also a poor FT shooting team and have very few outside shooters. Their 3pt% is poor.

That is where UNC could really be hurt.

Now, to me, UNC's chances in the tourney will hinder on Harrison Barnes. If Barnes is playing to his ability, he is going to be the best player on the court most of the time. His scoring has improved every month this year and if he can continue that, he may be able to take over games in the tourney.

Barnes is the reason I would say they are the most dangerous. He puts them over the top IF he is playing to his ability level.

UNC has the size, coaching and defense to cause a ton of problems...But will they shoot well enough to be able to make a deep run?

I think that UNC has a good chance of making the Final Four, and should actually be discussed (though not at length) when talking about the championship.

Hey, stop laughing.

The team can go as far as Kendall Marshall can take them. Sure, Barnes would get them over the hump a couple of times (and, while he hasn’t been insane, he’s been outstandingly clutch), but I think Marshall’s ability to get the ball in to Zeller and Henson is the bigger deal here. Few times can match up with them inside.

I think that the two types of teams that can beat them are team that can match them inside (I don’t think they can be dominated) like a Purdue or Ohio State, or teams with one of those deadly, 30-points-at-any-time shooters like a BYU or Notre Dame or Duke. Any other team, and I’d like their chances.

I say Elite Eight, just because it's inevitable that they'll see one of those teams. If they get a soft bracket like a Pitt-SDSU-UNC-Nova bracket, though, I'd have them at least in the Final Four.

Remember what I said about Barnes being outstandingly clutch?

That was awesome; was working late yesterday and the moment I turn the television on Barnes hits the dagger.

Obviously the tournament is all about matchups etc. but I am definitely buying into UNC being a Final 4 caliber team.

On another note, why wasn’t the clock running when Florida State inbounded the ball with 3+ seconds left on the clock. I have seen that happen too often this year, home team is down and whoever runs the clock is trying to stretch out the game. There is no place for that and the clock handlers should be suspended for their cheating ways.

That was awesome; was working late yesterday and the moment I turn the television on Barnes hits the dagger.

Obviously the tournament is all about matchups etc. but I am definitely buying into UNC being a Final 4 caliber team.

On another note' date=' why wasn’t the clock running when Florida State inbounded the ball with 3+ seconds left on the clock. I have seen that happen too often this year, home team is down and whoever runs the clock is trying to stretch out the game. There is no place for that and the clock handlers should be suspended for their cheating ways.[/quote']

Yep...I noticed the same thing...it was a good 1-2 seconds before it got started.

As people have said, I see UNC as probably an Elite Eight team, with Final 4 potential if they get a favorable bracket.

Losing Drew and now Bullock definitely hurts. Bullock has been inconsistent and Drew obviously had his issues but in reality they were two of our best bench options.

With UNC's win and Purdue's loss, a #1 seed is really not out of the question. I think Notre Dame's the only team in their way.

Guess we have to see come ACC tourney time...If they win the ACC tourney, I think they get a 1 seed...But that 1 seed will probably go to Duke or UNC..whoever wins the tourney(assuming one of them wins it..which is what will happen).

What a terrible game by Duke tonight.

Singler needs the rest right now and he needs to get it into his head that he has to attack more. The effort by Duke tonight, especially on the defensive side of the ball, was really poor.

They just get too 3 happy sometimes and they don't need to do that...They have the ability to attack the basket but choose not to.

If Notre Dame wins the Big East, I think Pitt and ND both get 1s. Then you got OSU and Kansas.

I agree on being 3-happy. You can tell when you're not hot. Just let the hot hands work and do some driving on occasion.

That was an amazing turnaround by the Heels. Going from losing to GT by 20 to out-and-out dominating a game against Duke. Someone pinch me.

Guess we have to see come ACC tourney time...If they win the ACC tourney, I think they get a 1 seed...But that 1 seed will probably go to Duke or UNC..whoever wins the tourney(assuming one of them wins it..which is what will happen).

What a terrible game by Duke tonight.

Singler needs the rest right now and he needs to get it into his head that he has to attack more. The effort by Duke tonight, especially on the defensive side of the ball, was really poor.

They just get too 3 happy sometimes and they don't need to do that...They have the ability to attack the basket but choose not to.

Their on-the-ball defense wasn't so bad, but they got burnt way too many times after a made basket. Plumlee needs to run back down the court instead of playing around with the inbounds pass (although he did get to one).

Marshall had one of the better passes I've seen when he hit a diagonal pass through the lane to Zeller on the block.

Also, has CBS had other games on at primetime? If not, they need to schedule more Saturday night games.

Marshall is unreal. He's Jason Kidd-good IMO. That spin move down the lane left Curry still looking for his jock. His passes are amazing. And, like Kidd early in his career, he's not looking to shoot - but will if left wide open (as Duke did all night).

Instead of playing basketball, Duke's game plan was apparently to shoot 3s and fall over a lot. I was really shocked that they just didn't look ready for UNC yesterday. Singler was never a factor at all. That other goofy-looking-white-guy-who's-name-I-forget did nothing but brick a ton of 3s. Curry and Smith were pretty nasty on offense (as usual), but they weren't enough. No one on the entire team played any transition defense, and the Plumlees can't hang with Zeller/Henson in the transition game...and I don't think many big men can.

It'll be interesting to see these two play again in the ACC tourney, because you just know Coach K will make some big game plan changes. But I don't know what changes he makes for an overall lack of athleticism compared to UNC (in the front court).

Marshall is unreal. He's Jason Kidd-good IMO. That spin move down the lane left Curry still looking for his jock. His passes are amazing. And, like Kidd early in his career, he's not looking to shoot - but will if left wide open (as Duke did all night).

Instead of playing basketball, Duke's game plan was apparently to shoot 3s and fall over a lot. I was really shocked that they just didn't look ready for UNC yesterday. Singler was never a factor at all. That other goofy-looking-white-guy-who's-name-I-forget did nothing but brick a ton of 3s. Curry and Smith were pretty nasty on offense (as usual), but they weren't enough. No one on the entire team played any transition defense, and the Plumlees can't hang with Zeller/Henson in the transition game...and I don't think many big men can.

It'll be interesting to see these two play again in the ACC tourney, because you just know Coach K will make some big game plan changes. But I don't know what changes he makes for an overall lack of athleticism compared to UNC (in the front court).

Ryan Kelly...Huge key to the game IMO.

He missed a ton of WIDE OPEN 3s, shots that he is capable of making.

I agree with you though....They didn't look prepared to play last night. They should have gotten out quickly when Roy started the 3 walk ons to begin the game but the walk ons hustled and Duke missed shots. I felt that set the tone for the whole game and emotionally, Duke never matched UNC.

IMO, the Tarheels CLEARLY wanted that game more than Duke and were more prepared, mentally, to play the game than Duke was.

As far as them playing again, if I am K, the #1 adjustment I make is to take Singler off of Barnes. Singler needs to be able to reserve more energy on the offensive end.

Duke is going to go as far as Singler takes them. He is the key to the team right now...He is 11 for his last 51 from 3, dating back to the end of January. He has not hit more than 2 3s in any game in that span. He has to get his stroke back and, maybe more importantly, he has to attack the basket more. He will struggle to do that against a guy like Barnes but for the most part, he should be able to get to the rim on a regular basis.

I felt Duke did a good job of making Marshall beat them with the shot last night but he was actually making them. He is going to pass the ball well because its what he does. However, if you make him a scorer and he struggles with that, then his passing will be less effective. That is how Duke ended up handling him at the game in Cameron and its a big reason why they won.

BTW, on a side note, I wouldn't be shocked if Dawkins transferred after the season.

I am not syaing he will and have heard nothing to think he would but his confidence is shot at this point and he is getting buried on the bench again.

He started the season off well, both offensively and defensively and he appeared to be a guy that would be a real key to the team this year off the bench but Curry has gone way past him and he just doesn't seem like he is into the games when he is in there.

Hopefully he can have a good tourney and get confidence and playing time back but right now, he is really struggling.

Archived