The Cavalry's Value (per Roch)

canonfaz

Arrieta + A minor leaguer = Wandy Rodriguez

Arrieta + Matusz = Chase Headley

the Astros wanted Arrieta and one more minor leaguer - I don't know which one - in exchange for starter Wandy Rodriguez. The Orioles passed on that offer, and Rodriguez eventually was dealt to the Pirates. And I'm told the Padres wanted Arrieta and Brian Matusz if they were going to part with third baseman Chase Headley, who remained in San Diego.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/08/orioles-making-heads-spin-with-their-rotation.html

I'm glad DD didn't make either of these trades. I think we over value our "failed" prospects current value. I'm glad we didn't sell low.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These seems somewhat in conflict.

I was thinking the same.

Either way.. I know we are all frustrated with Arrietta and Matusz. But the team certainly values them (and apparently so do the Astros and Padres.. At the least...), And theyre going to be with the team.

So in DD we trust.

iPhone 4 Tapatalk Master Race Out

Arrieta + A minor leaguer = Wandy Rodriguez

Arrieta + Matusz = Chase Headley

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/08/orioles-making-heads-spin-with-their-rotation.html

I'm glad DD didn't make either of these trades. I think we over value our "failed" prospects current value. I'm glad we didn't sell low.

I disagree....You have to give something up of value to get something of value.....You can't expect to give up one failed prospect for a proven young MLB 3rd baseman. Arrieta + Matusz does = Chase Headley regardless on how we feel about reduced value.....they haven't proven that they are going to be consistent MLB pitchers.

:) Maybe "failed" isn't the correct term. How about: I think we over value our "prospects that haven't lived up to the hype yet".

Like Tillman was considered to be, up until his recent nice run.

I am not giving up on either of them. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade them in the right circumstances.

Arrieta and Matusz for Headley seems like a no-brainer to me. A solid 3rd baseman who is < 30 for two guys who, as much as people are still hoping, stand a very small chance of ever having significant careers in Baltimore would have been a great return in my opinion.

Arrieta + Matusz for Headley seems like a fair deal but it would be like the O's admitting failure with 2 very highly regarded prospects. I think a lot of people would have been okay with that deal.

I think the average fan has far, far less patience than the average member of a front office.

Arrieta and Matusz for Headley seems like a no-brainer to me. A solid 3rd baseman who is < 30 for two guys who, as much as people are still hoping, stand a very small chance of ever having significant careers in Baltimore would have been a great return in my opinion.

The trade talks indicate that both the Padres and the Orioles believe that Arrieta and Matusz have good shots at significant careers.

Like Tillman was considered to be, up until his recent nice run.

I am not giving up on either of them. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade them in the right circumstances.

Agreed. I would definitely move either of them, but not both in the same deal that doesn't bring back a ML starter. I think that one of the two will at least turn into a quality mid rotation type of pitcher at the ML level. That is extremely valueable to a team that rarely buys starting pitching on the open market.

The right decision was to say no to those deals and see if these guys can contribute to us or recoup trade value for the off-season.

For next year you have:

1. Hammel

2. Chen

Add the following pieces into the mix:

3. M. Gonzalez

4. C. Tillman

5. T. Hunter

6. Z. Britton

7. J. Arrieta

8. B. Matusz

9. S. Johnson

With a long shot that a certain someone could be ready during the season next year:

10. D. Bundy

Plus, many want to add at least one solid FA in the off-season, so just for argument's sake:

11. F. Liriano

Out of that group, who's in the rotation, who is moved to the pen, who is AAA depth and who can you trade?

1. Hammel, 2. Chen, 3. Liriano, 4. Tillman, 5. M. Gonzalez

I move Hunter (long), Arreita (8th inning/closer) to the pen. Britton and Johnson start in AAA. Bundy and Gausman at AA. That leaves Matusz as someone I am willing to trade.

I wonder if San Diego takes Matusz, Strop, Avery for Headley?

Bring up Machado and Hoes for 2B and LF. Platoon Reynolds and Betemit at 1B. Leave Chris Davis at 1B. Lineup of:

RF Markakis, 3B Headley, SS Hardy, CF Jones, C Wieters, DH Davis, 1B Reynolds/Betemit, 2B Machado, LF Hoes/McLouth

C Teagarden, UTIL Andino

Bullpen: Hunter (long), Ayala (MR), Lindstrom (MR), O'Day (MR), Patton (MR), Arrieta (8TH), Johnson (9TH)

Done!

I wouldn't say these two have "a very small chance of ever having significant careers in Baltimore." I'd say the odds that one or the other succeeeds are better than 50/50. I'd hesitate to move both of them in the same deal without getting pitching in return, because we don't have a lot of pitching prospects in our system who project to be as good or better than these two, despite their struggles.

The right decision was to say no to those deals and see if these guys can contribute to us or recoup trade value for the off-season.

For next year you have:

1. Hammel

2. Chen

Add the following pieces into the mix:

3. M. Gonzalez

4. C. Tillman

5. T. Hunter

6. Z. Britton

7. J. Arrieta

8. B. Matusz

9. S. Johnson

With a long shot that a certain someone could be ready during the season next year:

10. D. Bundy

Plus, many want to add at least one solid FA in the off-season, so just for argument's sake:

11. F. Liriano

Out of that group, who's in the rotation, who is moved to the pen, who is AAA depth and who can you trade?

1. Hammel, 2. Chen, 3. Liriano, 4. Tillman, 5. M. Gonzalez

I move Hunter (long), Arreita (8th inning/closer) to the pen. Britton and Johnson start in AAA. Bundy and Gausman at AA. That leaves Matusz as someone I am willing to trade.

I wonder if San Diego takes Matusz, Strop, Avery for Headley?

Bring up Machado and Hoes for 2B and LF. Platoon Reynolds and Betemit at 1B. Leave Chris Davis at 1B. Lineup of:

RF Markakis, 3B Headley, SS Hardy, CF Jones, C Wieters, DH Davis, 1B Reynolds/Betemit, 2B Machado, LF Hoes/McLouth

C Teagarden, UTIL Andino

Bullpen: Hunter (long), Ayala (MR), Lindstrom (MR), O'Day (MR), Patton (MR), Arrieta (8TH), Johnson (9TH)

Done!

Not bad, but you got to add Wada to that list. He is under contract for next year and will definitely be in the rotation competition.

Archived