Nebraska, 2013 - Present

OFFNY

NEBRASKA has been consistently good, but not great under Bo Pelini. They have won either 9 or 10 games in each of Pelini's first 5 seasons as their head coach. They have also lost exactly 4 games in each of said seasons.

2008:o..9-4

2009:. 10-4

2010:. 10-4

2011:o..9-4

2012:o..9-4

In addition to Nebraska, the only other Division I-A teams that have won at least 9 games in each of the past 5 seasons are Alabama, Boise State, and Oregon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/73898/huskers-still-look-to-clear-last-hurdle

UPDATE: Another good, but not great season for Nebraska.

2008:o..9-4

2009:. 10-4

2010:. 10-4

2011:o..9-4

2012:o..9-4

2013:o..9-4

ALSO:

In addition to Nebraska, the only other Division I-A teams that have won at least 9 games in each of the past 5 seasons are Alabama, Boise State, and Oregon.

Boise State failed to win 9 games this season (8-5.)

That leaves Nebraska, Alabama, and Oregon as the only 3 teams in the nation to have won at least 9 games in each of the past 6 seasons.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

The 2014 season for the Cornhuskers is underway.

Here is an article about their star running back, Ameer Abdullah:

Ameer Abdullah Makes his Way

(By Bonnie D. Ford)

The Nebraska senior running back answers questions about his size, his faith, and his fumbles. And he's willed his way into Heisman Trophy conversation.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11531690/nebraska-rb-ameer-abdullah-uncommon-talent

• 2 months later...

The Huskers just fired Bo Pelini. As a Husker fan, I am very happy about this move. I actually rooted against the Huskers on black friday when they played Iowa. I can't stand Bo Pelini. My dad heard that the Huskers have been talking with Jim Tressel. That sure would be an interesting hire.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

The Huskers just fired Bo Pelini. As a Husker fan' date=' I am very happy about this move. I actually rooted against the Huskers on black friday when they played Iowa. I can't stand Bo Pelini. My dad heard that the Huskers have been talking with Jim Tressel. That sure would be an interesting hire.

[url']http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini[/url]

Good move. They've been the definition of mediocre since his hire. What about the guy at GaTech and get back to playing the way they did when they were dominant.

Who is the Georgia Tech coach? Scott Frost of Oregon is one candidate. He is currently a offensive coordinator. He is a former husker qb. He has no head coaching experience though. Jim Tressel is another candidate. He is banned from the ncaa until 2016 so the huskers would have to petition the NCAA in order to hire him. Some people are wondering why the huskers would fire a 9-3 coach. The answer to this is that 9-3 is not good enough at Nebraska. Football is a religion in Nebraska.

o

As a close follower of Nebraska football, I thought that Pelini was an outstanding recruiter, but not a particularly good in-game coach.

Pelini's tenure was somewhat similar to Frank Solich's in terms of overall winning percentage ...... with the one major difference being that Solich twice got Nebraska to upper-tier bowl games, winning the Fiesta Bowl in the 1999 season, and losing the national title game in the 2001 season. In fact, Solich and the Cornhuskers probably should have gone to upper-tier bowl games for 3 straight seasons, from 1999-2001. In 2000, both Nebraska and Notre Dame went 9-2 in the regular season, with Nebraska beating Notre Dame head-on in the regular season in South Bend. But Notre Dame was sent to the Fiesta Bowl (where they were trounced by Oregon State), and Nebraska was sent to the middle-tier Alama Bowl (where they trounced Northwestern, 66-17.)

I was sad to see Solich go following the 2003 season, and felt that he should have stayed.

Although Pelini's teams were never able to win "the big one" (in terms of AT LEAST getting Nebraska into an upper-tier bowl game), I do give a certain amount of credit to him for at least stabilizing the program in terms of always fielding teams that were at least pretty good, and at least getting them to a middle tier bowl game in every one of his seasons ...... his teams certainly fared better than Solich's predecessor's (Bill Callahan) teams did.

So overall, Nebraska has not been a major force since Solich's 1999, 2000, and 2001 teams all finished at #2, #7, and #7 in the country, respectively.

As a Nebraska fan, I hope that 10 years from now, we will not be looking back and saying something to the effect of, "Firing Frank Solich was the worst thing that happened to the Nebraska football program since the days before Bob Devaney."

I hope that we will be saying something like, "Firing Frank Solich was a big mistake, and we paid for it with Bill Callahan having 2 losing season out of 4 between 2004 and 2007, but we recovered nicely to have good (but not great) teams under Bo Peilini for 7 straight seasons from 2008 through 2014, and then Mike Riley was able to get us all the way back on track in terms of being a perennial powerhouse again soon after he took over in 2015."

• 11 months later...

o

An extremely disappointing season, to say the least.

The Cornhuskers were able to salvage a piece of their season with a win over previously undefeated Michigan State.

They're 4-6 overall, needing 2 wins to become bowl eligible.

• 3 weeks later...
o

As a close follower of Nebraska football, I thought that Pelini was an outstanding recruiter, but not a particularly good in-game coach.

Pelini's tenure was somewhat similar to Frank Solich's in terms of overall winning percentage ...... with the one major difference being that Solich twice got Nebraska to upper-tier bowl games, winning the Fiesta Bowl in the 1999 season, and losing the national title game in the 2001 season. In fact, Solich and the Cornhuskers probably should have gone to upper-tier bowl games for 3 straight seasons, from 1999-2001. In 2000, both Nebraska and Notre Dame went 9-2 in the regular season, with Nebraska beating Notre Dame head-on in the regular season in South Bend. But Notre Dame was sent to the Fiesta Bowl (where they were trounced by Oregon State), and Nebraska was sent to the middle-tier Alama Bowl (where they trounced Northwestern, 66-17.)

I was sad to see Solich go following the 2003 season, and felt that he should have stayed.

Although Pelini's teams were never able to win "the big one" (in terms of AT LEAST getting Nebraska into an upper-tier bowl game), I do give a certain amount of credit to him for at least stabilizing the program in terms of always fielding teams that were at least pretty good, and at least getting them to a middle tier bowl game in every one of his seasons ...... his teams certainly fared better than Solich's predecessor's (Bill Callahan) teams did.

So overall, Nebraska has not been a major force since Solich's 1999, 2000, and 2001 teams all finished at #2, #7, and #7 in the country, respectively.

As a Nebraska fan, I hope that 10 years from now, we will not be looking back and saying something to the effect of, "Firing Frank Solich was the worst thing that happened to the Nebraska football program since the days before Bob Devaney."

I hope that we will be saying something like, "Firing Frank Solich was a big mistake, and we paid for it with Bill Callahan having 2 losing seasons out of 4 between 2004 and 2007, but we recovered nicely to have good (but not great) teams under Bo Peilini for 7 straight seasons from 2008 through 2014, and then Mike Riley was able to get us all the way back on track in terms of being a perennial powerhouse again soon after he took over in 2015."

Frank Solich's Ohio Bobcats are 49-1 when leading at halftime in his coaching tenure with them.

The Bobcats just upset Northern Illinois, and knocked them out of having a spot in the MAC championship game ......a game in which they were leading at halftime.

Northern Illinois had previously made it to 5 consecutive MAC championship games, winning 3 of them.

My man, Frank Solich.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope they make it a painful day for Iowa.

Another valiant try comes up short yet again for the 2015 Cornhuskers.

Of the 7 games that Nebraska lost this year, these were the margins of defeat in the final score:

5x Points x (Hail Mary Loss)

3x Points x (In Overtime)

1x Point

2x Points

2x Points

10 Points

8x Points

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

o

Nebraska finished the season with a disappointing loss to Iowa, but their overall record of 9-3 was a nice bounce-back from 2015 when they went 5-7, and were (embarrassingly) invited to a bowl game, which they won.

After starting the season at 7-0, they lost an overtime nail-biter to Wisconsin on the road before getting thrashed by Ohio State in Columbus.

As a fan of the Big Red, I was encouraged by the overtime loss to Wisconsin on the Badgers' home field. Whether or not the Cornhuskers continue to climb upward in 2017 remains to be seen.

o

Archived