Power Rankings!!!!11111

Moose Milligan

Getting a little compliment from ESPN's Power Rankings today!

bal.png&h=60&w=60

21. Baltimore Orioles

Record: 39-44

Previous ranking: 21

It doesn't sound like much but Baltimore is only 6½ games out of a wild-card spot. Of course, half the league is ahead of them but the point is they are no longer a pushover. Manager Brandon Hyde has gotten the most out of a miniscule payroll while the team has done well picking up players from other teams, such as Jordan Lyles, who they signed this past offseason. After a rough start to his season, Lyles has gone deep into his past three outings, including a 6 1/3-inning, one-run performance against Minnesota over the weekend. -- Rogers

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34201300/mlb-power-rankings-week-13-which-teams-lead-season-halfway-point

I know a lot of posters here seem to think the media hates the Orioles so it's nice to see something somewhat positive and the Orioles trending towards the top 2/3 of POWER RANKINGS!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Baseball fans see 6.5 back, Elias sees more opportunities to offload salaries. 

It's a looooooong 6.5 back though. Most of the league is ahead of us so we'd have to outplay a bunch of different teams. 

And honestly there's not much salary left to unload. Sure you save on arbitration by dealing Santander, but it's negligible. It's really about maximizing control years and making sure there's a path for your top prospects. Stowers projects as a better player than Santander in my mind. And Mancini, look, the objective is just to get this guy to a contender. 

• Upvote 1

Considering 11 teams have a worse record than the O's do as of today (i.e. 19th out of 30 record-wise).  I suppose the gripe is still intact to some degree!  ;)  We were only slighted 2 spots!  Throw in the strength of schedule for kicks and I'm sure we could make an argument for another couple of spots.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Baseball fans see 6.5 back, Elias sees more opportunities to offload salaries. 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a looooooong 6.5 back though. Most of the league is ahead of us so we'd have to outplay a bunch of different teams. 

Hence, our 0.3% playoff odds, per Fangraphs.  Let’s assume the last playoff spot goes to an 85-win team.   (As things stand today, 85 wins wouldn’t get you there.) For us to get to 85 wins, we’d need to go 46-33 (.582) the rest of the season.    That is extremely unlikely.   To get to 90 wins (which is closer to the actual likely cutoff), we’d have to go 51-28 (.646).   Not. Gonna.  Happen.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hence, our 0.3% playoff odds, per Fangraphs.  Let’s assume the last playoff spot goes to an 85-win team.   (As things stand today, 85 wins wouldn’t get you there.) For us to get to 85 wins, we’d need to go 46-33 (.582) the rest of the season.    That is extremely unlikely.   To get to 90 wins (which is closer to the actual likely cutoff), we’d have to go 51-28 (.646).   Not. Gonna.  Happen.

So, in summary, you're saying there is a chance. ;) 

Honestly, I think having no pressure could make the second half fun.  Sorta like the 2011 end of year run where the O's got to play spoilers and set up 2012-2016 run.

• Upvote 4

Among many things that bum me out about the new playoff format is that there aren't tiebreaker games at the end of the season anymore. If, by some miracle, the Orioles had the same record as the Rays at the end of the year with a wild-card on the line, the spot would be determined by head-to-head record. (Currently that's the Rays thanks to their sweep in the first series of the year.) So the Orioles aren't *really* 6.5 behind the Rays or Jays or whoever. Just another way MLB doesn't care about the diehards who do goofy things like check the standings in July. As long as TBS gets their month of games, baybeee.

2 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Among many things that bum me out about the new playoff format is that there aren't tiebreaker games at the end of the season anymore. If, by some miracle, the Orioles had the same record as the Rays at the end of the year with a wild-card on the line, the spot would be determined by head-to-head record. (Currently that's the Rays thanks to their sweep in the first series of the year.) So the Orioles aren't *really* 6.5 behind the Rays or Jays or whoever. Just another way MLB doesn't care about the diehards who do goofy things like check the standings in July. As long as TBS gets their month of games, baybeee.

I like the new playoff format. If you lose to teams throughout the season and they own the tiebreaker over you that’s fine with me. I prefer the 3 game series instead of the 1 game wildcard playoff.