Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the move …. I was calling for Burnes all offseason as my preference. I can’t say I told you so as it took a new owner to get him 😜

I think we all preferred Burnes over Cease, but most thought Burnes would cost too much. If I thought Burnes was available for what we got him for, he certainly would have been at the top of the list, even with just one season left.

I think Elias thinks he has a chance of extending Burnes now that he has a new owner and pulled the trigger.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

This is ONLY a good trade if Burnes stays 3-5 years. One year deal is a poor move, Elias should be embarrassed he did this deal only to pacify band wagon fans. Prove me wrong.

Yikes. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but to say he Elias should be embarrassed for acquiring one of the best starting pitchers on a contending team that needed a TOR, and only gave up his 6th best prospect, a talented left-hander reliever with a long injury history, and a draft pick is pretty harsh.

If the Orioles win the World Series and Burnes leaves, should Elias still be embarrassed? 

You have to trade talent to get talent and this is the kind of talent you give up at the trading deadline for a Burnes-type rental. Elias got him for a whole year at least. Burnes gets to be an Orioles, hopefully likes it here, and the new owner is willing to extend him before he hits free agency.

But if the Orioles win the World Series, it doesn't matter what becomes of Ortiz, Hall and the draft pick, and I like Ortiz and Hall (as a reliever) a lot. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just extend Holliday and let’s watch him win ROY.

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer

Kimbrel, Cano, Wells, Tate, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin

vs RHP

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santander RF S

5. Mountcastle 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Westburg 2B R

McCann, Urias, Mateo, Hilliard

Sorry but they made the shift illegal.  You have to move someone to the left side of the infield.

13 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

This is ONLY a good trade if Burnes stays 3-5 years. One year deal is a poor move, Elias should be embarrassed he did this deal only to pacify band wagon fans. Prove me wrong.

I think he got assurances that he would have the money to extend him. That made it easier to give up controlled assets 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

BTW, I don’t think the new owner has anything to do with this trade.

I know  people want to connect those dots but it’s highly unlikely that had anything to do with it.

I don't think he told Elias to make a trade, but I do wonder if Elias thinks he might be able to extend him with the new owners and was more willing to deal Ortiz and Hall for him because of that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yikes. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but to say he Elias should be embarrassed for acquiring one of the best starting pitchers on a contending team that needed a TOR, and only gave up his 6th best prospect, a talented left-hander reliever with a long injury history, and a draft pick is pretty harsh.

If the Orioles win the World Series and Burnes leaves, should Elias still be embarrassed? 

You have to trade talent to get talent and this is the kind of talent you give up at the trading deadline for a Burnes-type rental. Elias got him for a whole year at least. Burnes gets to be an Orioles, hopefully likes it here, and the new owner is willing to extend him before he hits free agency.

But if the Orioles win the World Series, it doesn't matter what becomes of Ortiz, Hall and the draft pick, and I like Ortiz and Hall (as a reliever) a lot. 

Do you want to do that though for a 30 year old pitcher likely to command 200+ mil over five or more seasons? Maybe he ends up having a Scherzer like career and it will be worth it, but it seems risky. 

I rather extend Gunnar and Jackson, unless we are going to be able to start dishing out huge contracts like candy.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we all preferred Burnes over Cease, but most thought Burnes would cost too much. If I thought Burnes was available for what we got him for, he certainly would have been at the top of the list, even with just one season left.

I think Elias thinks he has a chance of extending Burnes now that he has a new owner and pulled the trigger.

I think having no chance to extend was his hesitation at dealing for guy like this. I agree with you on now we have a possibility to extend him.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he told Elias to make a trade, but I do wonder if Elias thinks he might be able to extend him with the new owners and was more willing to deal Ortiz and Hall for him because of that. 

I hope this is the case. We can't let a talent like Burnes hit FA. 

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Three or four writers on The Athletic gave the Orioles an A for the trade.  That's great, but the writeups on Cease are absolutely glowing:

https://theathletic.com/5245961/2024/02/01/mlb-trade-grades-corbin-burnes-deal/

Baltimore's gonna love him, as Baltimore loves a good chip on it's shoulder.

Seized the moment!

You have Cease on the brain. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

BTW, I don’t think the new owner has anything to do with this trade.

I know  people want to connect those dots but it’s highly unlikely that had anything to do with it.

I sorta lean this way too. My only question is adding $15 mil to the budget. Angelos could have said "sure go ahead but let's wait until I have the sale agreement in hand". 

Other than that, I would caution folks from assuming this means we're gonna go sign Montgomery and issue mass extensions and all that. Still a lot we don't know.

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I sorta lean this way too. My only question is adding $15 mil to the budget. Angelos could have said "sure go ahead but let's wait until I have the sale agreement in hand". 

Other than that, I would caution folks from assuming this means we're gonna go sign Montgomery and issue mass extensions and all that. Still a lot we don't know.

Well, we know Angelos was ok with adding 8M for Cease and there is no way he just started talking to Milwaukee since the ownership change. So, Angelos had to be ok with the extra 6-7M more than Cease.