Name one O's player to make the big difference in 2024?

oriolediehard

I don’t know if you mean a breakout player or if you mean who is most likely to be MVO. I’ll answer both, but the answer might be different tomorrow.

Breakout - Kjerstad. I think he’ll be who we wish Mountcastle would be

MVO - Burnes. This man is hungry for free agency and I’m hoping he has a career year, even by his standards. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Orioles West said:

I like the wild card pick of Holliday to be the key difference maker, but I think I’ll be pulling for a mostly healthy season/comeback player candidate John Means to help the rotation.

Yes I'll agree with your second part because at this point almost zero is expected of him, and being as I'm one of his biggest apologists, I'll go with John Means.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Grayson Rodriguez. I think he has figured it out. I think his pure stuff is filthy and I think he wants to show everyone that he is a ToR SP. Oriole single season records are going to fall and everyone in baseball is going to notice. 

What single season records are going to fall?   It’s hard to do that with modern workloads.  

Here’s a few Orioles single-season records: 

ERA 1.95 McNally 1968

Wins 25 Stone 1980

Strikeouts Bedard 221 2007

Winning % McNally .808 1971

WHIP McNally 0.842 1968

K/9 Bedard 10.929 2007

rWAR Palmer 8.4 1975 

Innings Palmer 323 1975

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying he'll be our MVP, but I'll go with John Means.

I think if he could return to the rotation and give us 20-25 starts with like a 3.91 ERA it would be huge for this team. He'd give us a lefty. He'd give us some veteran leadership. He'd help to stabilize the rotation. He's a fan favorite. I think a lot of people are writing him off too soon.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'm not saying he'll be our MVP, but I'll go with John Means.

I think if he could return to the rotation and give us 20-25 starts with like a 3.91 ERA it would be huge for this team. He'd give us a lefty. He'd give us some veteran leadership. He'd help to stabilize the rotation. He's a fan favorite. I think a lot of people are writing him off too soon.

I think the “veteran leadership” we’d get from Means is a bit overblown.  He’s thrown 10 more big league innings than Dean Kremer, while making 3 more big league appearances and one fewer big league start.   He’ll probably be behind Kremer in all three categories by the time he takes the mound this year.  

That said, I’m certainly hoping that a brief delay to his season is the only hiccup he’ll have this year health-wise, and that he pitches as well as he has in past seasons.  

In my wildest dream, Mateo has a season like he had last April! Wouldn't that be a blast on here? 😄

In all seriousness, Gunner has a monster year. Nice to have a team where you can pick just about anyone. Going to be a fun ride, I think.