Xavier Avery

BringBackMagic

Since the other thread was locked, figured I'd start up this since a lot of people have enjoyed talking about his progress.

Today (May 12) he went 1-4 with a double, a run scored and a walk.

In his last 10 games, he's batting .406 with 3 doubles, 3 triples and a bomb. Most importantly, though, he's only struck out 6 times in those 10 games, (32 at bats) and walked for the first four times this season. That puts his OBP at .472.

Year to date numbers: .277/.305/.416, 11 runs, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 4 BB, 30 K

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since the other thread was locked, figured I'd start up this since a lot of people have enjoyed talking about his progress.

Today (May 12) he went 1-4 with a double, a run scored and a walk.

In his last 10 games, he's batting .406 with 3 doubles, 3 triples and a bomb. Most importantly, though, he's only struck out 6 times in those 10 games, (32 at bats) and walked for the first four times this season. That puts his OBP at .472.

Year to date numbers: .277/.305/.416, 11 runs, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 4 BB, 30 K

Will the real Avery please stand up.:wedge:

That is an amazing turn around even considering the small sample size.

Gotta love it when the really toolsy guys start showing improvement. We'll need to see a lot more for a lot longer before we start getting too excited about Xavier, he's still incredibly young, but gotta like seeing him make adjustments. Speaks to how hard he must be working. He and Hoes are looking like nice picks early on for Jordan, lets hope they can continue making strides.

And man, what an awesome name.

Avery is probably the biggest surprise of the season so far. I thought he had long-term potential, but I am really surprised to see him holding his own at Delmarva at age 19. I didn't think he'd be ready to do that. Obviously he needs to work on the plate discipline, but overall it's hard to complain. His OPS now is only .042 what Matt Angle put up last year at Delmarva as a polished 22-year old who had played 3 years of college ball. Hopefully he can get his OBP a little higher as the season progresses.

Avery is my favorite prospect right now to be honest, well next MW. I think of Carl Crawford when I read his scouting reports. Seeing him put it together is awesome, especially so quickly.

Gotta love it when the really toolsy guys start showing improvement. We'll need to see a lot more for a lot longer before we start getting too excited about Xavier, he's still incredibly young, but gotta like seeing him make adjustments. Speaks to how hard he must be working. He and Hoes are looking like nice picks early on for Jordan, lets hope they can continue making strides.

And man, what an awesome name.

What is it you need to see him do a "lot longer" before getting excited? He's one of our hottest hitters in the minors and lately has reduced his various K and BB numbers to more than acceptable levels to go with strong xbh numbers as well. In other words, he's currently performing better than a lot of hitters you are probably excited about now.

What is there not to be excited about?

What is it you need to see him do a "lot longer" before getting excited? He's one of our hottest hitters in the minors and lately has reduced his various K and BB numbers to more than acceptable levels to go with strong xbh numbers as well. In other words, he's currently performing better than a lot of hitters you are probably excited about now.

The fact that Avery's K/BB numbers have moved from "huge red flag" to "not quite so worrisome" isn't nearly enough to allay fears about his zone recognition and command/control.

That's the real worry. And - if I had to guess - will be the main worry with Avery going forward.

He's 19 years old and he's in Low-A ball.

I'm not saying he should be younger for that league, or that his numbers aren't very encouraging especially for a young guy in his first full-season experience. They certainly are, and its great that he's making strides.

I didn't say I'm not excited, I said "we need to see a lot more for a lot longer before we start getting too excited". That's true. He's still many years away from the majors, which was my point.

He's got a chance to get squarely on the prospect map this season. But even if he does, he's still not at a point where we should start penciling him in for an outfield spot in a few years. He's a long ways away. Fortunately time is very much on his side. He could do a full season at Delmarva, Frederick, Bowie, and Norfolk before making his debut and still hit the majors as just a 23 year old.

The fact that Avery's K/BB numbers have moved from "huge red flag" to "not quite so worrisome" isn't nearly enough to allay fears about his zone recognition and command/control.

That's the real worry. And - if I had to guess - will be the main worry with Avery going forward.

Last 10 games have 6Ks in 36 ABs - isn't that around or better than league average? Let's stop with the "not quite worrisome" already.

What I'm saying (and with Mackus) is that Avery is "there" - he is currently producing at or above the high range of expectations (producing for several weeks at levels we would be excited for Rowell, Snyder and Reimold) across a wide sprectrum of statistics (including BBs and Ks and xbhs). He's been doing this for several weeks, but he really just needs to keep on doing what he's doing and his prospect status will soar.

Last 10 games have 6Ks in 36 ABs - isn't that around or better than league average? Let's stop with the "not quite worrisome" already.

What I'm saying (and with Mackus) is that Avery is "there" - he is currently producing at or above the high range of expectations (producing for several weeks at levels we would be excited for Rowell, Snyder and Reimold) across a wide sprectrum of statistics (including BBs and Ks and xbhs). He's been doing this for several weeks, but he really just needs to keep on doing what he's doing and his prospect status will soar.

I think the issue is that these are good trends for Avery but it is still a small sample. He could just be on a hot streak and seeing the ball well. For all we know, he could revert back to the old K rate and not get hits. My guess is he is adjusting very fast but he is a raw player and struggled mightily to begin the season, so having some doubts or tempering enthusiasm should not be a surprise for some people.

I am excited about Avery's progress as he seems to be making giant leaps of improvement. As it sounds like most on here are saying, I hope he can keep up the improvement. If he keeps this up, he should soar onto national prospect rankings as well.

I'm only speaking for myself, but with regards to prospect progression I try not to get too high on the highs or too low on the lows. I'm really happy and excited about Avery's production and look forward to seeing him play more this year.

Any prospect can be league average in avoiding strikeouts over a 10 game period. You know better than to use that as the basis of any lasting satisfaction that his K/BB rates are no longer a concern.

I can't believe you even suggested that.

Archived