Playoff Tickets for Extra Games

schittenden

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we are getting this deal for the ALDS. Will we get the same deal as season ticket holders for the ALCS and the WS? What do you think? I would think so unless the WS they are just trying to make bank.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but as a season ticket holder, you get the option to purchase extra tickets to each round of the playoffs (on top of your initial allotment). The tickets are always sold at a dramatic discount compared to the price for non-plan holders. That said, the tickets do get quite a bit more expensive in the subsequent rounds with WS tickets nearly 4x the price of ALDS tickets.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but as a season ticket holder, you get the option to purchase extra tickets to each round of the playoffs (on top of your initial allotment). The tickets are always sold at a dramatic discount compared to the price for non-plan holders. That said, the tickets do get quite a bit more expensive in the subsequent rounds with WS tickets nearly 4x the price of ALDS tickets.

Heh, I wish they were only nearly 4 times the price. For an upper reserve partial season plan the price goes from $30 in the ALDS to $60 in the ALCS to $150 in the World Series.

Heh, I wish they were only nearly 4 times the price. For an upper reserve partial season plan the price goes from $30 in the ALDS to $60 in the ALCS to $150 in the World Series.

Well, they were 4x in the sections I was looking at. Some sections are a little over 3x and some are 5x.

Well, they were 4x in the sections I was looking at. Some sections are a little over 3x and some are 5x.

Yeah, the pricing is a little quirky besides that. For the ALDS upper reserve is $30 and upper box is $45, for the ALCS upper reserve is $60 and upper box is $70, for the World Series upper reserve is $125 and upper box is $150.

Either the ALCS upper box tickets should be more expensive or the ALCS upper reserve tickets should be less expensive.

Yeah, the pricing is a little quirky besides that. For the ALDS upper reserve is $30 and upper box is $45, for the ALCS upper reserve is $60 and upper box is $70, for the World Series upper reserve is $125 and upper box is $150.

Either the ALCS upper box tickets should be more expensive or the ALCS upper reserve tickets should be less expensive.

I imagine they have done some modeling to determine optimum pricing strategy. Basically, the price point that the more casual fan will bear just to be in any seat may increase more dramatically in later series than the price a fan buying a better seat is willing to pay. In other words, demand for the WS will be higher than the ALDS, so they're eliminating the cheaper prices more rapidly than they're increasing the top-end prices. I'm just glad for the big discount given to partial plan holders.

I imagine they have done some modeling to determine optimum pricing strategy. Basically, the price point that the more casual fan will bear just to be in any seat may increase more dramatically in later series than the price a fan buying a better seat is willing to pay. In other words, demand for the WS will be higher than the ALDS, so they're eliminating the cheaper prices more rapidly than they're increasing the top-end prices. I'm just glad for the big discount given to partial plan holders.

I understand that you want to have a higher floor with each additional series, but my specific example still makes no sense. The price difference between two levels shouldn't drop as the price increases. Honestly, I think the mistake is that the upper box seats should be more expensive. $80 would keep the delta between the two levels consistent. I can't imagine there are many fans that wouldn't rather pay $70 for the upper box (the first 13 rows of the upper deck) instead of $60 for the upper reserve (the remainder of the rows in the upper deck), unless the only rows available were something like row 13 vs row 14 or 15. For the middle of each section (say row 7 vs. row 20) it is a no brainer.

I understand that you want to have a higher floor with each additional series, but my specific example still makes no sense. The price difference between two levels shouldn't drop as the price increases. Honestly, I think the mistake is that the upper box seats should be more expensive. $80 would keep the delta between the two levels consistent. I can't imagine there are many fans that wouldn't rather pay $70 for the upper box (the first 13 rows of the upper deck) instead of $60 for the upper reserve (the remainder of the rows in the upper deck), unless the only rows available were something like row 13 vs row 14 or 15.

It could make sense if you consider those in the more expensive sections might want to drop to a lower pricing tier in later series if the price increased at the same rate. The delta might shrink so that those who paid for the better seats in the earlier games don't drop to less expensive seats leaving the team to seek out new buyers for the more expensive seats.

It could make sense if you consider those in the more expensive sections might want to drop to a lower pricing tier in later series if the price increased at the same rate. The delta might shrink so that those who paid for the better seats in the earlier games don't drop to less expensive seats leaving the team to seek out new buyers for the more expensive seats.

Trust me when I say that the demand for upper box seats in the ALCS will far outpace demand for upper reserve seats. Your concerns for supply and demand are silly because the games will sell out and the true fair market value is obviously higher than what the Orioles are selling the tickets for, and the secondary market will bear out the fact that the delta is too small. If what you are saying was true, the price difference between upper box tickets and upper reserve tickets on the secondary market would be negligible. I am confident that will not be the case.

If you say so. It's hard for me to imagine MLB and the Orioles just leaving money on the table though.

Of course they are leaving money on the table. Hence the serious discount for season ticket holders. If you don't think they are leaving money on the table then you need to examine the secondary ticket market.

Of course they are leaving money on the table. Hence the serious discount for season ticket holders. If you don't think they are leaving money on the table then you need to examine the secondary ticket market.

Fair point. Although there are other dynamics. The orioles have an interest in having orioles fans buy tickets. The secondary market doesn't care.

Archived