For All Those Not Worried About Our Offense

brianod

Deflection is par for the course around here sometimes, but the reality is that the team is missing an offensive spark. We had one, he's in Seattle right now.

MSK

Did you want Cruz far a bargain discount in 2014 or did you want to Top of the Rotation Aces to fix the team that had missed the payoffs in 2013? Let me answer. I know you did not want Cruz. Neither did I. We were both wrong.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In January: "We still have time left, our GM will make some smart trades, etc., so no reason to panic."

In February: "Davis and Wieters are going to bounce back so it didn't make sense to give Nelson Cruz any money."

MSK

We did make a smart trade for Travis Snider.

No one said not to give Cruz money because we had Wieters. I told you that I would have made the mistake of retaining Cruz. It would have been a mistake though.

Did you want Cruz far a bargain discount in 2014 or did you want to Top of the Rotation Aces to fix the team that had missed the payoffs in 2013? Let me answer. I know you did not want Cruz. Neither did I. We were both wrong.

Weams, if you go back over my past posts, I have repeatedly said that I do not advocate (nor have I EVER) making signings for the sake of making signings. I would have liked the Orioles to have gone after at least one solid TOR pitcher. Just one.

Chris Sale.

Max Scherzer.

James Shields.

Just one of them would have been sufficient. I know the payroll isn't there at this time, but eventually the Orioles are going to have to make pitching a top priority in the organization. Either development (which hasn't happened) or making at least one big pitching commitment in free agency.

On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen another strong hitter added in this offseason. We didn't do it. It's just the reality of the team that we have to hope that there are few injuries and Davis and Wieters somehow have career seasons concurrently.

MSK

Weams, if you go back over my past posts, I have repeatedly said that I do not advocate (nor have I EVER) making signings for the sake of making signings.

MSK

I never said you wanted to sign just to sign. So dont defend that. You were not accused.

Chris Sale.

Max Scherzer.

James Shields.

MSK

Two of those guys were not wanted for their price by their own teams. their own teams. That they led to the playoffs. One of those guys was not available.at any price. Unless you wanted to give up Gausman and Manny.

Just one of them would have been sufficient. I know the payroll isn't there at this time, but eventually the Orioles are going to have to make pitching a top priority in the organization. Either development (which hasn't happened) or making at least one big pitching commitment in free agency.

MSK

Where did our wonderful pitching staff come from?

Two of those guys were not wanted for their price by their own teams. their own teams. That they led to the playoffs. One of those guys was not available.at any price. Unless you wanted to give up Gausman and Manny.

You're correct, those were just examples of the types of pitchers we should have targeted. I don't have all the answers, I just abhor the holding pattern the Orioles currently seem to be locked within.

MSK

Weams, if you go back over my past posts, I have repeatedly said that I do not advocate (nor have I EVER) making signings for the sake of making signings. I would have liked the Orioles to have gone after at least one solid TOR pitcher. Just one.

Chris Sale.

Max Scherzer.

James Shields.

On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen another strong hitter added in this offseason. We didn't do it. It's just the reality of the team that we have to hope that there are few injuries and Davis and Wieters somehow have career seasons concurrently.

MSK

Wait what? You know it is 2015. The Orioles had one of the best pitching staffs in the leagues at year. They have made it a priority. And has been one under DD.

And how has minor league pitching development not occurred?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weams

I would have liked to have seen another strong hitter added in this offseason. We didn't do it. It's just the reality of the team that we have to hope that there are few injuries and Davis and Wieters somehow have career seasons concurrently.

MSK

I would have been fine with us trading Davis and Wieters and getting better bats. No one wanted Davis or Wieters this year. So we had to keep them. And at least we did not tell our team that we had no more money to spend before the first game was played. Like Rogers told their fan base.

You're correct, those were just examples of the types of pitchers we should have targeted. I don't have all the answers, I just abhor the holding pattern the Orioles currently seem to be locked within.

MSK

Just examples of the type of pitchers we should be after? There aren't many more examples of that type of pitcher. Kershaw, F Hernandez, Price.

All pitchers that weren't worth the extra money vs production cost compared to what we currently have though.

MSK

It doesn't sound like you have any of the answers though. And the people you are criticizing and mocking have some. How does that work? The Orioles have been outspending the Mets and Cubs. Two Enormous market teams for several years running. Increasing payroll and having players that other teams covet for several years. How is it a holding pattern?

MSK

Well luckily you won't be bored with next offseason. I believe we have failed it already. :P

If the O's are going to spend on FA, next year is the year to do it. There are a number of TOR type SP on the market and some decent big bats. Much better than what was available this year. And if we let most of our FA walk for a QO we would have about 50 M to play around with.

If the O's are going to spend on FA, next year is the year to do it. There are a number of TOR type SP on the market and some decent big bats. Much better than what was available this year. And if we let most of our FA walk for a QO we would have about 50 M to play around with.

If we keep what we have, Tillman and Gonzo will cost about $13M. Another $13M to Ubaldo. And Gausman. If they want to add a TOR, it will only work with a trade of one of the pricy carry overs.

Archived