vs. PHILLIES, 8/12

OFFNY

To be fair, I've been watching every pitch closely this season, and that "near-strike" inside pitch gets called a strike VERY often -- both for, and against, the Orioles. And not only with this umpire, or in this park.

I know the strike zone is supposed to be a specific thing, but at least the umps as a group seem to favor pitchers on borderline calls this season.

I know this home plate ump has been very unpredictable and random tonight, and I don't like that, but at least on that specific call, he went with what the majority of umps this year are calling. I mind it less because it's a consistent thing across multiple umps and games, so the hitters should expect that pitch to be a strike. Of course the ideal would still be to strictly adhere to what the actual strike zone is.

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

To be fair, I've been watching every pitch closely this season, and that "near-strike" inside pitch gets called a strike VERY often -- both for, and against, the Orioles. And not only with this umpire, or in this park.

I know the strike zone is supposed to be a specific thing, but at least the umps as a group seem to favor pitchers on borderline calls this season.

I know this home plate ump has been very unpredictable and random tonight, and I don't like that, but at least on that specific call, he went with what the majority of umps this year are calling. I mind it less because it's a consistent thing across multiple umps and games, so the hitters should expect that pitch to be a strike. Of course the ideal would still be to strictly adhere to what the actual strike zone is.

I agree, I don’t think there is any particular anti-oriole bias, although there may be some in an individual empire here over there.

I do think that when in doubt the batter should get the benefit. More base runners is always better than more strikeouts.