Orioles farm system ranked no. 2

Explosivo

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is Elio Prado even still playing ball?  Noelberth Romero has at least made it stateside.

Safe to say the Cashner deal wasn't about accumulating talent.

Someone said Prado is injured.   Don’t know if that’s true or not.   Romero is putting up decent numbers in the FCL.  I consider him a prospect of interest.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Someone said Prado is injured.   Don’t know if that’s true or not.   Romero is putting up decent numbers in the FCL.  I consider him a prospect of interest.  

You are a more generous grader than I.

235/323/400 at 19 in the FCL is pretty uninteresting, even at short.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is Elio Prado even still playing ball?  Noelberth Romero has at least made it stateside.

Safe to say the Cashner deal wasn't about accumulating talent.

Dang - I hope so he's on my fantasy league team ?.  He may have hit the wall (Prado in Spanish = wall).  But that disappoints me - I thought that was Mike being smarter.  Oh well - win some lose some.

1 hour ago, fitzi22 said:

Paul Fry, Dillon Tate, Cole Sulser, Tanner Scott were all tradeable pieces Elias elected to hold onto.  With them we almost have the worst record in baseball.  Without them we probably do.  Why hold onto them if we are building the minors?  

They are still cheap and will have value next year. If we are starting to win games they can be part of the core.

5 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Baseball America moved us up again. Henderson is now in the top 100.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/08/the-orioles-move-up-to-no-2-in-baseball-america-organization-rankings.html

Let’s all give Elias a round of applause on this one. From going near bottom of the pack to no. 2 is nothing short of spectacular. Add in that we don’t have any long term cement shoes of contracts at the club and Elias can really chart his own destination with this team. Amazing job by Elias and this should settle down the “we are going to suck forever” crowd.

I'm not going applaud Elias until I see a skill a GM must show that goes above and beyond a Scouting Director.

He was already a good Scouting Director.  Now show me something else.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

2nd in baseball is just silly. Def improved but very top heavy. Too bad they don’t just hand you a championship. Orioles will be in rebuild mode until their is a change in ownership. 

You're the second guy to say top heavy. I think we're still top light. Look at the the guys we've graduated... Akin, Kremer, Zimm can't stay healthy. The real power is still in AA (besides Adley now) Patience.

I know I'm in the minority but I think the Bros will spend when it is time to spend. Like Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse, "you be nice... until it is time to NOT be nice."

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, scOtt said:

You're the second guy to say top heavy. I think we're still top light. Look at the the guys we've graduated... Akin, Kremer, Zimm can't stay healthy. The real power is still in AA (besides Adley now) Patience.

I know I'm in the minority but I think the Bros will spend when it is time to spend. Like Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse, "you be nice... until it is time to NOT be nice."

If this happenes, I want to see one of the Angelos sons Roadhouse kick Ken Rosenthal. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

2nd in baseball is just silly. Def improved but very top heavy. Too bad they don’t just hand you a championship. Orioles will be in rebuild mode until their is a change in ownership. 

I bet your brain exploded when you learned that Fangraphs has us at number 1.

For what it's worth, a top heavy farm system is much more valuable than a moderately balanced one.  You can only field so many players, and the true top prospects like Adley and Grayson are the ones most likely to give your team big production.  Yeah there might be a diamond in the rough somewhere that might surprise you, but by and large the bottom end of the prospect list is filled with role players that might produce 1/10 of what someone like Adley will (hopefully) produce.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I bet your brain exploded when you learned that Fangraphs has us at number 1.

For what it's worth, a top heavy farm system is much more valuable than a moderately balanced one.  You can only field so many players, and the true top prospects like Adley and Grayson are the ones most likely to give your team big production.  Yeah there might be a diamond in the rough somewhere that might surprise you, but by and large the bottom end of the prospect list is filled with role players that might produce 1/10 of what someone like Adley will (hopefully) produce.

Yep

Let’s put it another way.

Would trade Adley and Grayson for the rest of the Os top 20 prospects?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep

That's actually kind of an interesting question. A 20-player trade where you get 18 of the Orioles' top 20 prospects. I mean... I dunno you'd be getting Kjerstad, DL Hall, Henderson, Westburg, Baumann. But after those guys it really starts to drop off a cliff with guys like Lowther, Diaz, A. Hall, Bradish, etc. 

Obviously I'm leaning "no" here, but a few more studs in the top 20 and it's not nearly the slam dunk it seems like at first.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep

That's a good thought experiment.

If Hall and Kjerstad were healthy, I'd almost certainly take the bottom 18.

The only thing that even makes me waiver is the fact that Adley seems to be a special prospect.