Orioles 2022 #19 Prospect Carter Young - SS

Tony-OH

Had a feeling when Baumler didn't go in the last round he was gonna get 'bumped'.  I'm pretty fired up on Young having watched him play a couple games in Delmarva last summer.  He seems like one heck of a SS.  I went to watch Holiday and came away super high on Young.   No dis on Holiday at all, he's stud - just I had no idea who Young was and was super impressed.  

• Upvote 1

@Tony-OH I see you have him listed as 2nd division ceiling, but a year ago, as a first round talent, the upside was more like All-Star SS.  Do we know more now, or do we just want to be more bearish since we haven't seen the results?  I still think there's Swanson/Turner in there which is why I'm hopeful and interested.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Young has much chance to be an impact player for this team, given all the other 2B/SS types we have floating around.   

I didn’t think much of Connor Norby’s chances until about one full year after he was drafted.  I’m not holding my breath but the kid has talent. Let’s see what they can do with him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

@Tony-OH I see you have him listed as 2nd division ceiling, but a year ago, as a first round talent, the upside was more like All-Star SS.  Do we know more now, or do we just want to be more bearish since we haven't seen the results?  I still think there's Swanson/Turner in there which is why I'm hopeful and interested.

I'm being a little conservative on him until we see him a full season in pro ball. i know good scouts who really, really liked him coming into last year and were flabbergasted at his offensive year. 

That makes me think it may have been some kind of injury related thing or maybe he put too much pressure on himself because of the draft and then things snowballed him when he got off to a bad start. 

I think this is the right part of the list to put him on and I could see moving that ceiling and most likely up if he has a good year. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm being a little conservative on him until we see him a full season in pro ball. i know good scouts who really, really liked him coming into last year and were flabbergasted at his offensive year. 

That makes me think it may have been some kind of injury related thing or maybe he put too much pressure on himself because of the draft and then things snowballed him when he got off to a bad start. 

I think this is the right part of the list to put him on and I could see moving that ceiling and most likely up if he has a good year. 

I think this is the right place, just thought his ceiling would be even higher, yet his floor is irrelevant in 1 year potentially.  

20 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I think this is the right place, just thought his ceiling would be even higher, yet his floor is irrelevant in 1 year potentially.  

I could have went higher, but I just want to see things for myself over a year of pro ball. 

25 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

This was a fantastic late round pick up. The only one who can stop Young from being a major league player is Young himself. Great tools, we’ll see about the intangibles.

I kept starting and restarting a response to this thread but this sums it up.  He's got an aggressive swing that tapped into some power in 2021.  But he couldn't carry it into 2022 (injury or not) and had trouble finding his pitches.  The athleticism and upside is there.  Posting out to LSU is another thing...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Fabian said something about it being so tough to play with all the pressure to win. I’m thinking that might ease Carter Young’s mind too, and he can just relax, make adjustments, and not have the weight of the world on him. 

There’s no pressure in competing with the best ball players in the world for a shot at a big league career?

For whatever reason he reminds me a bit of Caydn Grenier, who was a former First Round (supplemental) pick the recieved a similar size bonus ($1.8mm in 2018). They had similar offensive numbers from major college baseball powerhouses and had a strong reputation for their defense at SS. Obviously Young appears to have a far higher offensive ceiling, so it'll be interesting to watch his development. Hopefully he has more success than Grenier. 

21 hours ago, NCRaven said:

There’s no pressure in competing with the best ball players in the world for a shot at a big league career?

In the interview he referenced he no longer has the pressure of baseball and academics. Now, he can focus on baseball and his professional development program while in college it was all about winning.