2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

Fangraphs:

“Bradfield didn't have quite as good a junior year as he did during his amazing sophomore campaign, when he went 46-for-46 on stolen base attempts. He's still an elite speedster with several catalytic offensive qualities that make him a prototypical leadoff hitter. Previously compared to Juan Pierre because of his build, swing, and speed, Bradfield's idea of the strike zone is much better than Pierre's, and he walked more than he struck out throughout his college career, no small feat against SEC pitching. He can bang fastballs in the top third of the zone but otherwise tends to do slash-and-dash singles damage to all fields. Bradfield was a well-known high school prospect who scouts wanted to see get stronger in college, and while that hasn't happened in a way that has yielded big power, Bradfield is now physical enough that he should be able to sustain his offensive performance against pro pitching. Most true everyday center fielders produce close to average power, so Bradfield probably needs to out-hit this projection from a contact standpoint to be a true 2-WAR everyday option, unless I'm underrating the way his speed will impact the game because of the new big league rules. His current skills will almost certainly enable him to be an integral role player if not a regular in center.”

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Left-handed hitting college outfielder no one saw coming. This is the quintessential Orioles pick.

I kinda like it though. Guy seems like he could be pretty good and if he truly is an elite defensive CF it'll make our pitching look better.

In any case, Elias has earned the benefit of the doubt.

I just read he has a 40 Arm.  Might have to settle for a smidge under elite defense.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Few thoughts:

1) this pick surprises me

2) Mullins is gone..Hays as well.

3) I guess people can stop calling Elias a racist?

4) Looks like an exciting player with stupid speed 

So glad I moved off Twitter years ago.

Had no idea that was even a thing.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs:

“Bradfield didn't have quite as good a junior year as he did during his amazing sophomore campaign, when he went 46-for-46 on stolen base attempts. He's still an elite speedster with several catalytic offensive qualities that make him a prototypical leadoff hitter. Previously compared to Juan Pierre because of his build, swing, and speed, Bradfield's idea of the strike zone is much better than Pierre's, and he walked more than he struck out throughout his college career, no small feat against SEC pitching. He can bang fastballs in the top third of the zone but otherwise tends to do slash-and-dash singles damage to all fields. Bradfield was a well-known high school prospect who scouts wanted to see get stronger in college, and while that hasn't happened in a way that has yielded big power, Bradfield is now physical enough that he should be able to sustain his offensive performance against pro pitching. Most true everyday center fielders produce close to average power, so Bradfield probably needs to out-hit this projection from a contact standpoint to be a true 2-WAR everyday option, unless I'm underrating the way his speed will impact the game because of the new big league rules. His current skills will almost certainly enable him to be an integral role player if not a regular in center.”

Orioles must see something they think they can fix.  Otherwise, this pick makes little sense based on that description.