Norfolk 2024

Sports Guy

It was a fun week, but we may have gone a little overboard. Norfolk is in fourth place in its division in the International League now. Kjerstand and Mayo are certainly very promising, and I've always liked Norby,  but the lineup doesn't look so dominating now without Holliday.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

It was a fun week, but we may have gone a little overboard. Norfolk is in fourth place in its division in the International League now. Kjerstand and Mayo are certainly very promising, and I've always liked Norby,  but the lineup doesn't look so dominating now without Holliday.

They’re also not playing the worst team in the International League anymore.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sydnor said:

They’re also not playing the worst team in the International League anymore.

Yeah.... Charlotte is horrendous. Scranton definitely humbled them a little. Let's see if they fare better against them in Harbor Park tonight. Now the grind of the AAA season sets in a bit for these prospects as they realize "ah right, I'm probably still here for a couple months". 

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah.... Charlotte is horrendous. Scranton definitely humbled them a little. Let's see if they fare better against them in Harbor Park tonight. Now the grind of the AAA season sets in a bit for these prospects as they realize "ah right, I'm probably still here for a couple months". 

Also a hitters park. The 10-9 games won't be as often. Lost five  in a tow and have not scored above 4 runs in any of them. 

After seeing all the crazy hitting stats to start the season, I thought this last string of losses had to be pitching woes.  But the Game Notes from Tides PR say this kind of stuff:

”the Tides carry an active 17-game streak with at least nine strikeouts by their staff, dating back to September 23, 2023 at Buffalo…Norfolk currently ranks first in the International League in strikeouts with 164.”

This surprises me, not gonna lie. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:10 PM, Going Underground said:

Also a hitters park. The 10-9 games won't be as often. Lost five  in a tow and have not scored above 4 runs in any of them. 

Charlotte's pitching and park made them all look like All World prospects.  The truth is they were probably accurately ranked.  I checked a box score yesterday and Stowers was already down to .265 average.  I don't think he's an automatic success in the majors.

14 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Charlotte's pitching and park made them all look like All World prospects.  The truth is they were probably accurately ranked.  I checked a box score yesterday and Stowers was already down to .265 average.  I don't think he's an automatic success in the majors.

Honestly, you can see the people who over react to small sample sizes from a mile away. 

Norfolk was hitting against inferior pitching in a hitter's environment. We didn't suddenly have 5 prospects capable of 1.200 OPSs, lol. 

Stowers is a perfect example. He's a nice prospect, but he's not really a tier 1 guy. I like all of Mayo/Kjerstad/Norbys bats better. Still, I think all 4 should still be roughly viewed as the same prospect they were 6 months ago, with perhaps a small tick up. 

18 hours ago, justD said:

After seeing all the crazy hitting stats to start the season, I thought this last string of losses had to be pitching woes.  But the Game Notes from Tides PR say this kind of stuff:

”the Tides carry an active 17-game streak with at least nine strikeouts by their staff, dating back to September 23, 2023 at Buffalo…Norfolk currently ranks first in the International League in strikeouts with 164.”

This surprises me, not gonna lie. 

The problem with the pitching is the walks happen before the big hits.  Armbruester is/was prime example.  2 walks and HR.  Down 3-0 on Sunday.  When we are missing the zone it is by a lot.  So the batters aren't chasing pitches.

From a hitting perspective, there has been the full week vs. Charlotte and full week vs. SWB and Mayo is the most consistent.  Errol Robinson was next most consistent but he bats 9th.

Player            Charlotte  vs.   SWB

Mayo            32 PA vs 26 PA and 0.407 vs. 0.333 avg  OPS was nearly the same 1.13 vs 1.38

Kjerstad        32 PA vs. 27 PA and 0.444 vs 0.182 avg  OPS was not close...  1.753 vs. 0.614

Norby           33 PA vs 24 PA and 0.393 vs. 0.143 avg  OPS was not close...  1.276 vs. 0.393

Stowers         28 PA vs 21 PA and 0.308 vs. 0.111 avg  OPS was not close...   1.319 vs. 0.460

Burdick          22 PA vs 16 PA and 0.375 vs. 0.000 avg  OPS was not close...   1.420 vs. 0.063

McKenna       15 PA vs. 17 PA and 0.333 vs. 0.071 avg  OPS was not close....  1.000 vs. 0.306

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CHIP said:

The problem with the pitching is the walks happen before the big hits.  Armbruester is/was prime example.  2 walks and HR.  Down 3-0 on Sunday.  When we are missing the zone it is by a lot.  So the batters aren't chasing pitches.

From a hitting perspective, there has been the full week vs. Charlotte and full week vs. SWB and Mayo is the most consistent.  Errol Robinson was next most consistent but he bats 9th.

Player            Charlotte  vs.   SWB

Mayo            32 PA vs 26 PA and 0.407 vs. 0.333 avg  OPS was nearly the same 1.13 vs 1.38

Kjerstad        32 PA vs. 27 PA and 0.444 vs 0.182 avg  OPS was not close...  1.753 vs. 0.614

Norby           33 PA vs 24 PA and 0.393 vs. 0.143 avg  OPS was not close...  1.276 vs. 0.393

Stowers         28 PA vs 21 PA and 0.308 vs. 0.111 avg  OPS was not close...   1.319 vs. 0.460

Burdick          22 PA vs 16 PA and 0.375 vs. 0.000 avg  OPS was not close...   1.420 vs. 0.063

McKenna       15 PA vs. 17 PA and 0.333 vs. 0.071 avg  OPS was not close....  1.000 vs. 0.306

The differences are staggering.  This now has me thinking a trade for ML or ML-ready pitching has to be pushed back until they can improve these numbers in upcoming series.  Sure hope they do. 

(And thank you for explaining the pitching - I guessed it might have something to do with walks but hadn't made the effort to look up those stats in addition to the Team Notes I received (which are always going to be skewed to accentuate the positive).)