One-third of the way through, the O’s are on a 105-win pace

Frobby

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah, we finally got to celebrate a streak that required performing well.

Ripken is the Orioles all time leader in bWAR.   Over 15 WAR ahead of the next guy (Brooks).

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now MASN has a new shtick.  The O’s haven’t lost a series to an AL East opponent in the last 18 series (13-0-5).  I’m happy to keep that one going ad infinitum.

I was happy to keep the actual streak going ad infinitum, but some on here would rather have the O’s lose because Kevin Brown mentioned the streak a few too many times for their liking. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Imagine racking up 93 bWAR and thinking a player wasn't performing well.

I wouldn’t have said it but I admit that I felt the streak became more important than anything else.  A fantastic accomplishment but there were many times I got tired of hearing about it and wished he’d just hit better.   How could the same guy hit .330 and .250?   Used to drive me crazy.

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I was happy to keep the actual streak going ad infinitum, but some on here would rather have the O’s lose because Kevin Brown mentioned the streak a few too many times for their liking. 

I wasn’t tired of the streak.  I was tired of hearing about it.  And Kevin Brown wasn’t even that bad about it.  Mostly it was on the postgame show every night.  But overall, the streak was a great thing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wasn’t tired of the streak.  I was tired of hearing about it.  And Kevin Brown wasn’t even that bad about it.  Mostly it was on the postgame show every night.  But overall, the streak was a great thing. 

The streak was great until getting swept in the playoffs, I loved hearing about it up until then. It was really impressive and cool how it coincided with Adley’s callup. 

But after getting swept in the playoffs, every mention of the streak was just a reminder of the ALDS beatdown. Drove me nuts. I know regular season and playoff stats are always kept separate so I understand why, but it was absurd to me to celebrate a streak of never being swept when they were swept in by far the most important series, the only playoff series, right in the middle of it. 

• Upvote 3

I think it is healthy for the chalkboard to be erased in case we're down 0-1 in an ALWC series, and like 48 hours after a perhaps epic divisional contest it might all be over that afternoon.

Burnes and Soto amplifying these teams this year is worth savoring.    I think NYY needs its mercenary a lot more than we need ours for the races to come.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I wouldn’t have said it but I admit that I felt the streak became more important than anything else.  A fantastic accomplishment but there were many times I got tired of hearing about it and wished he’d just hit better.   How could the same guy hit .330 and .250?   Used to drive me crazy.

George Brett hit .255 and .390.

Al Kaline hit .255 and .340.

Ichiro hit .372 and .262 (and .229 in his 40s).

Ted Williams hit .254 one year. 

Andres Galarraga hit .370 and .257.

Tim Raines .334 and .270.

Willie McGee won a batting title at .353 and hit .256 the next year. A few years later won another batting title, then the next year hit .274.

Bill Madlock won four batting titles, and after the last one hit .253.

Rico Carty had consecutive years where he hit .255, .342, .366 (led league), and .277.

Joe Torre followed up his MVP, batting title year where he hit .363 by hitting .289.

Rogers Hornsby hit .401, .384, .424, .403... and then .317.

Wade Boggs had a full season in the middle of his career where he hit .259.

Frank Thomas led the league hitting .347 in 1997. In 1998 he hit .265.

Carney Lansford hit .261 the year before he won his batting title at .336.

Yaz won three batting titles, and also had full seasons where he hit .255, .254, .264, .269, .246.

Luke Appling had full seasons where he hit .388 and .262.

Frank Robinson won a batting title at .316, and also had full seasons where he hit .251 and .259.

Brooks had seasons anywhere from .201 to .317.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

George Brett hit .255 and .390.

Al Kaline hit .255 and .340.

Ichiro hit .372 and .262 (and .229 in his 40s).

Ted Williams hit .254 one year. 

Andres Galarraga hit .370 and .257.

Tim Raines .334 and .270.

Willie McGee won a batting title at .353 and hit .256 the next year. A few years later won another batting title, then the next year hit .274.

Bill Madlock won four batting titles, and after the last one hit .253.

Rico Carty had consecutive years where he hit .255, .342, .366 (led league), and .277.

Joe Torre followed up his MVP, batting title year where he hit .363 by hitting .289.

Rogers Hornsby hit .401, .384, .424, .403... and then .317.

Wade Boggs had a full season in the middle of his career where he hit .259.

Frank Thomas led the league hitting .347 in 1997. In 1998 he hit .265.

Carney Lansford hit .261 the year before he won his batting title at .336.

Yaz won three batting titles, and also had full seasons where he hit .255, .254, .264, .269, .246.

Luke Appling had full seasons where he hit .388 and .262.

Frank Robinson won a batting title at .316, and also had full seasons where he hit .251 and .259.

Brooks had seasons anywhere from .201 to .317.

I get it but some of those examples like Ted Williams were when he was 40 years old.

Brett, .255 when he was 38.

Ichiro didn’t hit under .300 until he was 37.

Al Kaline hit .340 at age 20 and .255 at age 38.

Edited by RZNJ

Gunnar's 54 HR, 123 RBI pace

Adley 30 HR, 117 RBI pace

Westburg 24 HR,  102 RBI pace,   In his first full season he is becoming a major offensive threat.

Burnes, GRod and Irvin all on a 15-6  pace

• Upvote 1

Out of our 9 players with the most PA, 8 have an OPS+ of 105 or higher, Cedric Mullins (64) being the lone exception.  That’s what you call a well-rounded lineup.  

• Upvote 3

I like that the Orioles have done so well despite the challenges the roster has faced. It’s hard to complain when you’ve got a winning % over .600

With that being said, they’re not in first place. There’s room for improvement, for each time I read that this team is unsustainable, I have a thought that it better be sustainable and there should be another gear to move into. Otherwise they’ll end up 2nd in the east.

Of course, once the playoffs start it’s not a terribly big deal. The playoffs are all about who’s on a roll at that point in time. But in my mind this team is the best in baseball and the standings should reflect that. But I’m severely biased 

9 hours ago, emmett16 said:

It seems to me they should probably change their approach or the season will end up a disaster.  It’s frankly unexplainable they haven’t demoted/traded/DFA’d the players that aren’t performing.  It’s a joke management thinks this group of players has any chance of winning anything.  Imagine if they could just walk more..

And no help from the "pipeline".  Can we discuss competing in the payroll race?

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Out of our 9 players with the most PA, 8 have an OPS+ of 105 or higher, Cedric Mullins (64) being the lone exception.  That’s what you call a well-rounded lineup.  

Maybe we need Mike Trout more than Philadelphia does..