Why not Holliday?

JTrea81

Right now this guy has no market. None. Jason Bay is getting more attention than Holliday is.

Right now Holliday is too expensive for just about every team, with the Orioles being one of the few exceptions. We all know how methodical MacPhail is so he's willing to wait out the FA market, and Boras is just as methodical as an agent.

Nobody is giving Holliday Tex money, and he's not even likely to get 20 million per season.

I was proposing 6/114 for Holliday earlier this offseason, but right now, I doubt he even gets that. I think his best offer right now is going to be around 5/90 maybe and the Orioles could easily beat that.

This guy, while not the perfect fit as far as being a RH 1B man, is exactly what the Orioles need IMO.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now this guy has no market. None. Jason Bay is getting more attention than Holliday is.

Right now Holliday is too expensive for just about every team, with the Orioles being one of the few exceptions. We all know how methodical MacPhail is so he's willing to wait out the FA market, and Boras is just as methodical as an agent.

Nobody is giving Holliday Tex money, and he's not even likely to get 20 million per season.

I was proposing 6/114 for Holliday earlier this offseason, but right now, I doubt he even gets that. I think his best offer right now is going to be around 5/90 maybe and the Orioles could easily beat that.

This guy, while not the perfect fit as far as being a RH 1B man, is exactly what the Orioles need IMO.

All things considered, this is one of your more rational posts. That said, don't get your hopes up as there is ZERO chance the Orioles land Holliday. They were talking this morning on the radio that he will be a perfect compliment to the Granderson trade in NY.

I doubt you'd find many people here arguing against a 5/100 deal, but I'm not optimistic he would take that to come here.

All things considered, this is one of your more rational posts. That said, don't get your hopes up as there is ZERO chance the Orioles land Holliday. They were talking this morning on the radio that he will be a perfect compliment to the Granderson trade in NY.

So are you saying that the radio guys were saying the Yankees would be after him?

I'm not so sure, though it wouldn't be a shock at all.

If they do land Holliday, they'll have to trade one of Cabrera or Swisher.

The Orioles don't ever go after the big hitter, in prime of his career, that will bolster the middle of the line-up, RIGHT NOW. IMO, it makes perfect sense for him to come here. We need the big hitter, in which he is and gets on base. I agree; Why not Holliday?

But the Orioles never will....I'm just saying...

Because we have 4 above average OFers and pissing away 18+ million a year on another one is a stupid use of resources.

Don't think of him as an OFer, rather a RH #4 hitter that is good defensively at his position.

Would you give a RH #4 hitter of his caliber that was good defensively 18+ million per season regardless of position?

And by signing him, you free up one or two of those OFers for a deal.

There are plenty of big money teams that will be in on Holliday once Bay is off the board. Boras probably thinks he'll be able to get close to what he wants once Bay is gone and only Holliday is left as a middle of the order hitter.

There's no way he'll see $20 million per season.

Even Boston isn't going to pay that.

Don't think of him as an OFer, rather a RH #4 hitter that is good defensively at his position.

Would you give a RH #4 hitter of his caliber that was good defensively 18+ million per season regardless of position?

You overrate Holliday....and while I do want a big bat, I don't think it is the big deal you do.

And yes, if he was a first baseman, I would be more inclined to do it but he's not, so it doesn't matter.

There's no way he'll see $20 million per season.

Even Boston isn't going to pay that.

Teams are putting over 15 million on the table for Bay...GOod chance he sees 20 and if he doesn't, he sure the hell will get close to it and the Orioles would have to be at 20 or more to get him.

Archived