Duke vs Maryland

Sports Guy

I don't understand why you hate when there are multiple points to be made. Of course Duke was the better team today and deserved to win. The best two players on the court were Scheyer and Singler.

That doesn't mean the refs weren't awful. They've been awful for MD a couple times this season too. It was a poorly refereed game. They let the teams slap, body check, and grab coming around screens to an alarming extent during the first 15 min of the game. The same thing happened in the Clemson game.

Its just so annoying...You can't have a MD/Duke thread without some fan(s) complaining about the refs. Enough already!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just an assinine thing to write. Neither of my posts comes even remotely close to summarizing to this statement. I clearly stated that Duke wins the game regardless of the refs.

If you can't interact with the grown ups, please go back to the kiddie table.

Not to point out the obvious, but I was not specifically talking about yourself. Unless you have a guilty conscious about my post.

I'm the one who brought up the refs and they were the latest posts in the thread. As a matter of fact, NOBODY else had mentioned the refs other than in the most general terms. Yeh, assuming that you were passive/aggressively referring to my posts is a real reach...

I'll have to go back and re-read the thread. Maybe you did bring it up, but I did not mean you specifically. I've just noticed that when the Terps lose a lot of times people bring up the refs.

I think Georgetown would beat Duke again...just saying.

Georgetown will beat any team when they shoot 72% and hit the 3's like they did. Villanova beat Georgtown too, in the NCAA back in th 80's, shot in the 70's. Point is any team will win when you shoot that well.

Maryland lost today because the 3 senoirs didnt have it, it happens. Williams must of got a little wide eyed, he wasnt that good.

As I said, hayes couldnt check Smith, and that with Zoubek having a great game (where did that come from) ad Shyler and Singlar playing well did not bode well for the Terps. At least they got a second shot at Comcast.

sad part, the Terps couldnt spoil Rats 1000th and birthday like they spoiled St Battier senoir night.

I'll have to go back and re-read the thread. Maybe you did bring it up, but I did not mean you specifically. I've just noticed that when the Terps lose a lot of times people bring up the refs.

I haven't noticed that at all. But Vatech1994 is right. The officials started out letting the players be physical, then 10-15 minutes in began calling the game very tight. But like every other aspect about today's game, Duke adjusted to the change much better than Maryland did. That doesn't change the fact that the officials were inconsistent over the course of the game, which IMO is not a sign of good officiating. But again, the team that can deal with it the best has the edge, and even then it wasn't really the difference today.

I know I sound repulsively condescending but if you don't think the officiating was terrible, you clearly didn't watch the game.

I watched a couple minutes, a few minutes here a few minutes there. I guess I did not see enough of the game to see about the officials. My point was more of a general observation that people blame officials when a team loses.

I watched a couple minutes, a few minutes here a few minutes there. I guess I did not see enough of the game to see about the officials. My point was more of a general observation that people blame officials when a team loses.

Who here blamed the officials for the loss? VaTech specifically said that dook was the better team regardless of the poor officiating!

I haven't noticed that at all. But Vatech1994 is right. The officials started out letting the players be physical' date=' then 10-15 minutes in began calling the game very tight. But like every other aspect about today's game, Duke adjusted to the change much better than Maryland did. That doesn't change the fact that the officials were inconsistent over the course of the game, which IMO is not a sign of good officiating. But again, the team that can deal with it the best has the edge, and even then it wasn't really the difference today.[/quote']

See, this is the key: there is a difference between poor officiating and uneven officiating. Sometimes they go hand-in-hand, but there can be days like today where it's just a poorly-officiated game without it being blatantly uneven. When that is the case, it is on the teams to adjust, and like you said Duke did that today.

Who here blamed the officials for the loss? VaTech specifically said that dook was the better team regardless of the poor officiating!

I thought the game was poorly officiated, but didn't mention it during the game because it didn't really matter. Maryland didn't show up.

As for the generalizing, well, I think the years have made it painfully obvious that SG's brain isn't exactly wired for nuance. That's just the way it is.

Let's put it this way: in terms of performance today, the ranking goes:

1. Duke Basketball

2. Duke Fans

3. The Refs

4. Maryland

It truly didn't make a difference. But it still sucked to watch.

Archived