Gilchrist

Beaner, I'm not sure a coach can be that successful these days without being an active recruiter. What may have worked in the past for GW doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I don't know if that's the case or not. You certainly may be right, however Gary's strength always has been developing his teams to play his style, regardless of the players he has. Some teams come together and are successful, (see 1994-2002), and some don't. I don't think that Gary will ever be a great recruiter, but that doesn't mean Maryland can't continue to be a great program.

I just don't believe that there is another coach out there that can make Maryland any better than they've been these past 15 years. I realize you guys are frustrated, but I can't see how getting rid of Gary Williams, the man who rebuilt your program makes you better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kinda confused about what you are saying here. How does Keith Cavanaugh deserve blame?

Because (assuming this information was true, which I'm becoming more and more questionable about) if anyone was going to know about a rule like this, it would be the guy who's whole livelihood was based on the Terps.

(Of course, that is part of why, now that the shock is wearing off a little, I'm questioning the source, along with the lack of reporting in other outlets and Beaner's point.)

Wait a minute, didn't we already know that Gilchrist was going to have to sit out first semester? Why is he delaying his career once again over this?

If he transfers to a non-ACC school, he will get a full 4 years of eligibility. He was only able to play 2.5 years since he transferred within the ACC from VA Tech to MD

I don't know if that's the case or not. You certainly may be right, however Gary's strength always has been developing his teams to play his style, regardless of the players he has. Some teams come together and are successful, (see 1994-2002), and some don't. I don't think that Gary will ever be a great recruiter, but that doesn't mean Maryland can't continue to be a great program.

I just don't believe that there is another coach out there that can make Maryland any better than they've been these past 15 years. I realize you guys are frustrated, but I can't see how getting rid of Gary Williams, the man who rebuilt your program makes you better.

Like I said, I acknowledge that he has done a lot for the program, but his rebuild, as miraculous as it may have been, was like 20 years ago. I don't think the program should restrict its options just because GW has done great things for the program. If there are other good candidates who can infuse a fresh start, MD should consider it IMO.

From the updated Sun article...

It is not known where Gilchrist will try to play, but according to Kathleen Worthington, the school's senior associate athletic director, he will have to petition the NCAA to get the normal one-year waiting period waived because he would be considered a transfer.

So he might HAVE to sit out another full season if he transfers.

I know Baltimore is a sea-side town, but that fishy smell just won't go away...

Like I said, I acknowledge that he has done a lot for the program, but his rebuild, as miraculous as it may have been, was like 20 years ago. I don't think the program should restrict its options just because GW has done great things for the program. If there are other good candidates who can infuse a fresh start, MD should consider it IMO.

1994 was the first year Williams took Maryland to the NCAA's, they won the title in 2002, which isn't exactly 20 years ago. It took him some time to build things back up in College Park.

I see what you're saying though, just don't give him a pass for past accomplishments, and I don't disagree completely.However, just dismissing him after a few lean years won't solve the problem in my opinion.

If he transfers to a non-ACC school, he will get a full 4 years of eligibility. He was only able to play 2.5 years since he transferred within the ACC from VA Tech to MD

Yeah, but wouldn't he waste another year because he is transferring from Maryland?

1994 was the first year Williams took Maryland to the NCAA's, they won the title in 2002, which isn't exactly 20 years ago. It took him some time to build things back up in College Park.

I see what you're saying though, just don't give him a pass for past accomplishments, and I don't disagree completely.However, just dismissing him after a few lean years won't solve the problem in my opinion.

No, it won't automatically solve the problem, but isn't it getting dangerously beyond a few lean years? I can't see next year's team matching the 2007-08 record, and it's possible (if Mosley doesn't qualify) that we have another single player recruiting class.

I have never been a GW basher, and I am only saying that MD shouldn't overlook the possibility that a change is needed.

Just another nail in Gary William's coffin. Even when he gets a quality recruit he gets the ones with questionable character like this clown and the junior transfer thug.

Time for Gary to go.. The sooner the better for the program. We need a quality coach who has the energy to recruit in this day and age.

The time has passed for the coaches who coached and let their assistants recruit. Gary is still a good in game guy, but the fact that players are abandoning ship faster than a Norweigan captain on a sinking cruise liner is pretty striking...

No, it won't automatically solve the problem, but isn't it getting dangerously beyond a few lean years? I can't see next year's team matching the 2007-08 record, and it's possible (if Mosley doesn't qualify) that we have another single player recruiting class.

I have never been a GW basher, and I am only saying that MD shouldn't overlook the possibility that a change is needed.

They were a #4 seed in the tourney last March. Maryland hasn't matched the success of 2001-02, but it's hard to make the Final Four and win a National Championship. I feel like people forget that sometimes. Speaking in general reading this board, not specifically to you Jagwar.

Next year looks pretty bleak for them, I agree with that. Good guard play, but that front line looks bad.

They were a #4 seed in the tourney last March. Maryland hasn't matched the success of 2001-02, but it's hard to make the Final Four and win a National Championship. I feel like people forget that sometimes. Speaking in general reading this board, not specifically to you Jagwar.

Next year looks pretty bleak for them, I agree with that. Good guard play, but that front line looks bad.

Unfortunately, that #4 seed in the tourney was the exception, sandwiched by a few NIT bids.

GW has done a lot for the school, and I don't wish a firing on anyone. I would love it if GW pulled the program up off its knees again, and I would be thrilled to find MD as a top-3 ACC school again. However, Yow should consider all options.

Just another nail in Gary William's coffin. Even when he gets a quality recruit he gets the ones with questionable character like this clown and the junior transfer thug.

Time for Gary to go.. The sooner the better for the program. We need a quality coach who has the energy to recruit in this day and age.

The time has passed for the coaches who coached and let their assistants recruit. Gary is still a good in game guy, but the fact that players are abandoning ship faster than a Norweigan captain on a sinking cruise liner is pretty striking...

Pretty much. This program is a disaster right now and while Gary has had some bad luck in some situations ultimately it still comes back on him. At this point kids want out or don't want anything to do with this program and you can't blame them. Gary has never been a guy that is preceived to relate well with kids so while its been hard enough to get kids in here while things were going good it is gonna be almost impossible to get any talent in here when there are dark clouds overhead.

We do need a new start. The landscape of college basketball has changed. Kids want attention and want to feel wanted and needed. That's never been Gary and never will be Gary. Anybody who thinks that a 60 something year old GW is the right person to take this program to it's peak is fooling themselves. You can have all the love and repect for what the man has done and meant for this program but his best days are behind him.

Archived