Gilchrist

I don't know if that's the case or not. You certainly may be right, however Gary's strength always has been developing his teams to play his style, regardless of the players he has. Some teams come together and are successful, (see 1994-2002), and some don't. I don't think that Gary will ever be a great recruiter, but that doesn't mean Maryland can't continue to be a great program.

I just don't believe that there is another coach out there that can make Maryland any better than they've been these past 15 years. I realize you guys are frustrated, but I can't see how getting rid of Gary Williams, the man who rebuilt your program makes you better.

Again, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a new guy will get better talent into the program. No doubt. We are in in the best conference with a state of the art complex in a hotbed recruiting area. Now, that doesn't automatically mean success or that we will be better but in this day and age I will take my chances with a mediocre coach with talent. I don't think guys like Donovan or JT111 or even Bill Self are great coaches but they surround themself with enough talent that they succeed.

Maybe you and SG are being honest but I suspect deep down you both know that MD can get better talent and would be more of a threat if they did. So while you say you'd love for Gary to leave MD I think you also are very content having Gary stay when you realize while he has built a solid program it isn't a threat to Duke or UNC because we simply aren't getting the talent. Now, I don't expect to be UNC or Duke, to me they are the top 2 programs in CBB but I certainly believe we can be a top 10, 2nd teir program like a UConn, Arizona, Florida.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, there is absolutley no doubt in my mid that a new guy will get better talent into the program. No doubt. We are in in the best conference with a state of the art complex in a hotbed recruiting area. Now, that doesn't automatically mean success or that we will be better but in this day and age I will take my chances with a mediocre coach with talent. I don't think guys like Donovan or JT111 or even Bill Self are great coaches but they surround themself with enough talent that the succeed.

Maybe you and SG are being honest but I suspect deep down you both know that MD can get better talent and would be more of a threat if they did. So while you say you'd love for Gary to leave MD I think you also are very content having Gary stay when you realize while he has built a solid program it isn't a threat to Duke or UNC because we simply aren't getting the talent. Now, I don't expect to be UNC or Duke, to me they are the top 2 programs in CBB but I certainly believe we can be a top 10, 2nd teir program like a UConn, Arizona, Florida.

I hear ya, and I agree with your first statement to an extent. I just don't think the landscape of college recruiting has changed as much as you believe it has. I'm not saying Gary is right or wrong not to "hustle" for recruits, that's just his way, and like you said, he's not changing now.

I agree on Donovan and Self, but I do think JTIII is a really good coach. Self doesn't have to sell Kansas really, and Donovan had so much recruiting success early but had to wait for the wins. Credit where it's due to him for winning those two titles, but his "bigger name" teams when he first got to Florida were always so dissapointing when it mattered. Like Gary, I think he's better when he gets guys to play together in his style.

I'm being completely honest when I say that as a Carolina supporter,getting Gary Williams out would be great. Maryland always plays the Heels tough, and I've always felt that Gary was one of the best in game coaches in the country. I think, and I would bet you'd agree that Maryland has come the closest during the past 15 years to challenging Carolina and Duke for ACC supremacy, even surpassing Carolina for a few years in the early 2000s.

Maryland has a very good program, and you say you don't expect to be Carolina or Duke, which I understand. But how many schools since 1994 have been to as many NCAA tourneys as Maryland? How many schools have been to two Final Fours this decade? I just think that you guys should be careful what you wish for.

We owe GW for everything great in Maryland including our only national championship. But, should we overlook his faults because of it? If we continue to make the NIT for the next 3 years. Is Gary still not the problem? We can blame the problems on bad recruiting, tough admissions, Debbie Yow, etc... but Gary is the man in charge of the mens basketball team.

Gary is a proud man (who hates to pamper 16/17 yr old recruits or doin the little things), I think the game has past him alittle.

I have made some comments on Gilchrist that resulted from emotion and were in poor taste and for that I apologize.

But this is now beyond ridiculous. I feel bad for anyone that is getting bad advice and this appears to be the case with Gilchrist. His "personal advisor" Terelle Woody is really not doing Gus any favors.

I really hope that this young man grows up and soon or he'll be just another washed up athlete wondering "what if".

Yeah, I had criticized some of those posts you'd made, so kudos to you for manning up and apologizing. Looks like you were right about him not playing in CP.

I have no idea what's going on with this program. I mean literally, I've lost track of who's coming, who's qualified, who's transferring, etc. Fortunately it's baseball season so I don't need to worry about it for a few more months!

Just another nail in Gary William's coffin. Even when he gets a quality recruit he gets the ones with questionable character like this clown and the junior transfer thug.

Time for Gary to go.. The sooner the better for the program. We need a quality coach who has the energy to recruit in this day and age.

The time has passed for the coaches who coached and let their assistants recruit. Gary is still a good in game guy, but the fact that players are abandoning ship faster than a Norweigan captain on a sinking cruise liner is pretty striking...

Sorry, but I dont think you understand college sports programs. This is why Gary isn't going anytime soon:

"COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland men's basketball program ranked sixth in the nation for home attendance during the 2007-08 season. Maryland averaged 17,950 fans in 19 home games last season in figures released by the NCAA. It is the sixth consecutive season the Terps ranked at least eight in the nation for home attendance as 341,050 fans visited Comcast Center.

The Terrapins played in front of 526,152 fans in 34 games last year, the third highest total in school history behind the 2001and 2002 seasons. Maryland has now played in front of over 400,000 fans in each of the last ten seasons. The Terrapins' average attendance last season was 15,475, the fourth highest single-season average in school history.

More than 3.5 million fans have watched the Terps over the past 15 seasons in College Park. Maryland owns a home record of 199-36 (.847) during that time. During Gary Williams' time as head coach, the Terrapins have achieved double-digit home victories in 18 of 19 seasons. The Terps have played in front of 36 consecutive sellout crowds at home dating back to the start of the 2006-07 season.

Kentucky led the nation in home attendance last season, averaging 22,554 fans per home game. North Carolina ranked second with 20,497 fans per game. Syracuse (20,345), Tennessee (20,267) and Louisville (19,481) rounded out the top five. Wisconsin came in seventh place with average home attendance of 17,190 fans. Arkansas (17,148), Indiana (16,876) and Memphis (16,748) completed the top ten."

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052008aaa.html

Money talks and Gary brings in the money and packs the seats. He won't be fired until that changes.

Sorry, but I dont think you understand college sports programs. This is why Gary isn't going anytime soon:

Money talks and Gary brings in the money and packs the seats. He won't be fired until that changes.

If the team keeps going to NITs, the money will go away. You need to fix the problem before the money dries up.

That said, I still think Gary is the right guy for the job and that firing him would be completely ridiculous.

If he leaves on his own, thats one thing, but to fire him would be absurd. I truly think Gary will do a better job of fixing the current situation than anyone else we would bring in if he leaves. And I know that he'll do a better job of coaching and preparing whatever talent is here than anybody else.

I hear ya, and I agree with your first statement to an extent. I just don't think the landscape of college recruiting has changed as much as you believe it has. I'm not saying Gary is right or wrong not to "hustle" for recruits, that's just his way, and like you said, he's not changing now.

I agree on Donovan and Self, but I do think JTIII is a really good coach. Self doesn't have to sell Kansas really, and Donovan had so much recruiting success early but had to wait for the wins. Credit where it's due to him for winning those two titles, but his "bigger name" teams when he first got to Florida were always so dissapointing when it mattered. Like Gary, I think he's better when he gets guys to play together in his style.

I'm being completely honest when I say that as a Carolina supporter,getting Gary Williams out would be great. Maryland always plays the Heels tough, and I've always felt that Gary was one of the best in game coaches in the country. I think, and I would bet you'd agree that Maryland has come the closest during the past 15 years to challenging Carolina and Duke for ACC supremacy, even surpassing Carolina for a few years in the early 2000s.

Maryland has a very good program, and you say you don't expect to be Carolina or Duke, which I understand. But how many schools since 1994 have been to as many NCAA tourneys as Maryland? How many schools have been to two Final Fours this decade? I just think that you guys should be careful what you wish for.

I expect deep tournament runs and that is something that the other schools I mentioned have done a lot more consistently than MD. I could care less if we lose to UNC or Duke 5 times a year if it means a Final Four. Before 2001 Gary never got a team past the sweet 16 annd hasn't since the title. I truely believe now that 2001 and 2002 were lucky years. Not in the sense that the teams weren't good or worthy of the National Title but in that Gary brought together a group of mostly underrated and unheralded guys that exceeded expectations and meshed extremely well together. You can't count on that happening again.

Can Gary rally the troops and turn the program around?? Probably, but only in relation to where he let it fall the last 6 years. He has set himself up now that if and when we ever make the NCAA tournament 2 years in a row it is an accomplishment and that is something that was expected before.

Gus said he wants more immediate playing time. Is he leaving because of GW's lack of playing time for Freshmen? Or, was that just the "press release reason" for the transfer?
Something about this doesn't add up.

Again, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a new guy will get better talent into the program. No doubt. We are in in the best conference with a state of the art complex in a hotbed recruiting area. Now, that doesn't automatically mean success or that we will be better but in this day and age I will take my chances with a mediocre coach with talent. I don't think guys like Donovan or JT111 or even Bill Self are great coaches but they surround themself with enough talent that they succeed.

I think Gary is a very good coach...I think he did a poor job capitalizing on the final 4s and the program should be better than it is.

But I still think he is the best guy for the program as of right now...Maybe in year, that will change.

As far as being on par with UNC and Duke...I don't expect more than a handful of programs to be on par with them year in and year out.

"COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland men's basketball program ranked sixth in the nation for home attendance during the 2007-08 season. Maryland averaged 17,950 fans in 19 home games last season in figures released by the NCAA. It is the sixth consecutive season the Terps ranked at least eight in the nation for home attendance as 341,050 fans visited Comcast Center.

The Terrapins played in front of 526,152 fans in 34 games last year, the third highest total in school history behind the 2001and 2002 seasons. Maryland has now played in front of over 400,000 fans in each of the last ten seasons. The Terrapins' average attendance last season was 15,475, the fourth highest single-season average in school history.

More than 3.5 million fans have watched the Terps over the past 15 seasons in College Park. Maryland owns a home record of 199-36 (.847) during that time. During Gary Williams' time as head coach, the Terrapins have achieved double-digit home victories in 18 of 19 seasons. The Terps have played in front of 36 consecutive sellout crowds at home dating back to the start of the 2006-07 season.

Kentucky led the nation in home attendance last season, averaging 22,554 fans per home game. North Carolina ranked second with 20,497 fans per game. Syracuse (20,345), Tennessee (20,267) and Louisville (19,481) rounded out the top five. Wisconsin came in seventh place with average home attendance of 17,190 fans. Arkansas (17,148), Indiana (16,876) and Memphis (16,748) completed the top ten."

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052008aaa.html

Attendance is a direct correlation to size of arena. Look at the top grossing and netting programs as per the WSJ, you can very well make the case Md underperforms.

Attendance is a direct correlation to size of arena. Look at the top grossing and netting programs as per the WSJ, you can very well make the case Md underperforms.

Well, I can remember as a kid, pre joe smith & keith booth going to cole field house (handing out game give-a-ways) and being allowed to sit in whatever seats were available. The place was empty back then.

I don't think the program is in a good place right now, but I can tell you that firing Gary right now would be a disaster financially. He may be hated on these message boards, but he is loved by the older alums (the ones who REALY pay the bills).

Well, I can remember as a kid, pre joe smith & keith booth going to cole field house (handing out game give-a-ways) and being allowed to sit in whatever seats were available. The place was empty back then.

I don't think the program is in a good place right now, but I can tell you that firing Gary right now would be a disaster financially. He may be hated on these message boards, but he is loved by the older alums (the ones who REALY pay the bills).

I've been a season ticket holder pre Joe Smith (since moved) and don't remember that-certainly not for an ACC game. If GW is hated it is by a small minority, but I think most (like me) do not like the current path of the program. GW is a great coach but he is not known for admin and recruiting. He is often noted for bringing in money but why then is the Terrapin Club fourth from the bottom in the ACC in revenue despite a huge alumni and fan base-and it is not even close looking at FSU, Carolina, Clemson, State. Don't even think about comparing the large Big 10 and SEC schools. In basketball UNC generates twice the revenue MD does and Duke is not far behind-UNC's profit is larger than Md's revenue!! Point being Md does not over index in alumni (or fan) support and that is likely not lost on the administration.

Archived