Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not if you want to keep a $160 million team from losing 90+ games. 

Well the Jays have a $177 million and may lose 90, the giants have 172 and will lose it. And who knows about the Rangers if they dump Darvish. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles almost included Cleavinger in a package with Ubaldo Jimenez last summer that would have netted outfielder Melvin Upton Jr. from the Padres, but the deal fell apart due to financial reasons.

This is the second deal with Phillies general manager Matt Klentak, a former Orioles executive, since March. The club also acquired pitcher Alec Asher toward the end of spring training for a player to be named later or cash.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/orioles-acquire-hellickson-from-phillies.html

1 minute ago, Rojo13 said:

Well the Jays have a $177 million and may lose 90, the giants have 172 and will lose it. And who knows about the Rangers if they dump Darvish. 

Well they aren't competing with the Nats and Ravens for revenue. The trade makes little baseball sense,  but it does make business sense. Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Ubaldo should be the heavy favorite to be pulled from the rotation, but I think it's a three-man race, four if Bundy really can't go. Tillman made a strong case for his candidacy tonight. Finally, we have a role that our SPs are capable of competing for: getting dropped from the rotation.

This trade reminds me that I had hoped to see a Cleavinger- Clevenger battery some day, but I think Steve doomed that. 

Is it possible that they shut Bundy down? Can't have more than 20 innings left 110 last year and 120 so far this year? Anymore than that is an unreasonable increase to one of our best options.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

#Orioles still trying to trade Britton and Brach even as they attempt to finalize Hellickson. Need help in rotation to get through season.

Need help in rotation to get through season?! ...  You have a 160 million dollar team for the love of god... and now punting international draft money (again) for a crap starter to get though the season when you already are clearly not making the playoffs.  This organization has made some awful decisions in resource allocation.

Just now, O's84 said:

Need help in rotation to get through season?! ...  You have a 160 million dollar team for the love of god... and now punting international draft money (again) for a crap starter to get though the season when you already are clearly not making the playoffs.  This organization has made some awful decisions in resource allocation.

They don't invest in the rotation. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Now watch Kim hit .330 the rest of the season. 

So what?  Kim wasn't going to be here in 2018 no matter what.  The Orioles are high on Santander and room needed to be made for him since he's nearing the end of his rehab and has to be activated or offered back.  We want to keep him.

Cleavinger no loss. 

International slot money no loss - we weren't going to use it anyway.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, since someone has to go to make room for Hellickson.  DFA Ubaldo?

Hellickson should eat some innings.  Only question I have is how much cash is coming back from Philly?

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

Want to see something hilarious?  Salaries for 2017,

Hellickson 17.2 million

Ubaldo- 13.5

Tillman- 10

Miley-9

Lol. 

1 minute ago, Orioles1954 said:

HSK is someone who could actually *gasp* hit to all fields and had an awareness of the strike zone. It's a shame the slow-pitch O's never have him a legitimate chance. He honored his end of the bargain. Buck??? Not so much.

We should all be grateful for Kim's luck last year. But it was a fluke. Just like when Jimmy Parades was all world for 2 months. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Trade isn't bad if the Phil's are kicking in 5 million, as we save 1-1.5 million on trading Kim

The rule used to be any trade involving $1M or more had to be approved by the Commissioner's office;  I don't know if that amount has changed.  Given how quickly this deal was announced, and no word that approval was needed, I expect the money coming back to be nominal and we have a net increase in payroll.

Archived