TT: DH and 4th outfielder, and last man on the bench situations

Tony-OH

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks.  I'm still getting used to baseball savant for defensive metrics.

With Hilliard being able to play CF then there really isn't a need for Mckenna on the 26 man roster.  McCann, Mateo, Hilliard, and Maton it is.  

I think Mckenna will clear waivers and end up in AAA. If not, our 40 man is only at 39 right now.  We'll be able to 60 Day IL Bautista.  So we could claim a CF that has options or sign a Daz Cameron type to AAA.  

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With Hilliard being able to play CF then there really isn't a need for Mckenna on the 26 man roster.  McCann, Mateo, Hilliard, and Maton it is.  

I think Mckenna will clear waivers and end up in AAA. If not, our 40 man is only at 39 right now.  We'll be able to 60 Day IL Bautista.  So we could claim a CF that has options or sign a Daz Cameron type to AAA.  

I don't think McKenna would make it through waivers.  He put up a .677 OPS last year and that's not terrible for a fourth/fifth outfielder who is capable of playing center.  He's relatively young. 

But that's a good thing.  Recent O's teams have not recently had to dump a lot of players, that were quickly scooped up by other teams.  Speaks to our depth. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Mateo can play CF (and Elias's comments suggest he can) then we don't need McKenna *or* Hilliard. That would allow for two of O'Hearn, Cowser, and Kjerstad to make it as bats. I would be pretty bummed to see both Hilliard and Maton on the opening day roster.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles played in 53 combined one run games or extra inning games in 2023 with record of 35-18.  How many of those might Mateo see time as a pinch runner?

Last year, Mateo saw 8 PR appearances and McKenna saw 11.  If Mateo proves viable across the OF and given Os INF versatility, it wouldn’t be outside realm of possibility for him to see ~25 games alone as late inning PR in 2024.  And then maybe he would see 1 game/week as starter just to spell day off the regulars…well then that’s potentially 50-60 games in combined total (starts and PRs) for a guy like Mateo.

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, interloper said:

At no point did I ever say it was an issue, even in my thread about it which was purely observational. I'm just saying, I wish the team had your confidence in the SS depth so that we didn't have to try so hard to keep Mateo on the roster. But you and I both know Hyde is not playing Westburg at SS regardless of how many games he played there in the minors. 

So - therefore, Mateo stays. Which is ok or whatever, it's just a little exhausting. Like now he's pushing outfielders off the roster? Alright? I guess? 

I don't see Mateo getting more than super utility duty and I think he'll be fine in that role. I believe if Henderson got hurt, Holliday would play SS, Westburg to 2nd and Mayo would get a shot at 3B.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, interloper said:

System, not 26-man roster.

Let's say Henderson goes down for an extended period of time. Hyde is going to play Mateo at SS the majority of the time based on his experience and skill level. Sure, Westburg could play in a pinch, but he's basically like Urias. They just aren't going to play him there. Holliday could be a long term option, and maybe you call up Norby for 2B or something. 

But after Henderson, you have exactly 2 true shortstop options: Mateo and Holliday. That's it. No one else in the organization is coming up to play SS on this team. 100% of the organization's shortstop options exist on the 26-man roster once Holliday is added. Which is fine! But it's why Mateo is still here, is all. 

I agree. Most teams would be in much better shape if something happened to their previous #1 prospect/ROY SS, and they replaced him with their new #1 prospect/ ROY candidate SS. I mean, after that they only have a couple of guys that could capably fill in. 

59 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree. Most teams would be in much better shape if something happened to their previous #1 prospect/ROY SS, and they replaced him with their new #1 prospect/ ROY candidate SS. I mean, after that they only have a couple of guys that could capably fill in. 

Cool sarcasm.

Edited by interloper

7 hours ago, Number5 said:

That first 1-star catch seems more difficult to me than any of the 2-star catches.  I wonder what the criteria is for 1-star vs. 2-star.

It’s all based on catch probability derived from distance the OF had to travel vs. hang time.  I think the metric is somewhat flawed but it does reward outfielders who get good jumps and make good reads that result in the play looking routine, as opposed to players who are slow reacting and then have to lunge or dive, which looks spectacular.

I agree with the comment that either Hays or Santander should be moved. I can see Mateo playing some center, but if Hays is still there then Cowser needs to play some in both left and center to get enough at bats. I can't see the Orioles sending him back to Norfolk.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm trying to reconcile how the SS depth in the system is weak. Henderson, Westburg, and Holliday can all play SS at a high level.  Is the argument that IF prospect depth is weak? I'd have a hard time reconciling that as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Even with Ortiz traded, we are still pretty deep at the shortstop position organizationally.  I also count Urias among that group, and I go all the way down to the international prospects in the lower minor leagues we are developing for the future.

The thing I noticed about Kjerstad last year is he’s got enough power where he can hit some homers even when he doesn’t connect perfectly.  Remember how when Chris Davis was in his prime, sometimes he’d hit these balls that looked like lazy fly balls to the OF but they’d just keep carrying and go over the fence?  Kjerstad has some of that.  Maybe not to the degree Davis did.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The thing I noticed about Kjerstad last year is he’s got enough power where he can hit some homers even when he doesn’t connect perfectly.  Remember how when Chris Davis was in his prime, sometimes he’d hit these balls that looked like lazy fly balls to the OF but they’d just keep carrying and go over the fence?  Kjerstad has some of that.  Maybe not to the degree Davis did.  

And funny enough, Tony was talking the other day how his big power hasn’t shown up in games in a consistent basis yet.  If that can happen, he’s going to be a 35+ homer guy.