2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

Several years into the Elias era and we have no quality RH hitting OF'ers and no pitching to promote?

Roster is imbalanced, will Elias really be able to fix it at the trade deadline?

Feels like he is going to punt on making a serious run for the second consecutive year.

Problem is worse because he didn't do much in the offseason to balance the roster.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How can a team run by so many smart people be thus dumb when it comes to McCann?

Not saying I like it but feels to me they like Adley being at DH and then later on can hit for McCann. Adley is really being rested so far. 

I know they are at home and more ground to cover but I’m fine here and there playing Hays in CF and Kjerstad in LF. 

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Several years into the Elias era and we have no quality RH hitting OF'ers and no pitching to promote?

Roster is imbalanced, will Elias really be able to fix it at the trade deadline?

Feels like he is going to punt on making a serious run for the second consecutive year.

Problem is worse because he didn't do much in the offseason to balance the roster.

So he traded for Burnes not to make a run.  

1 hour ago, Bleed Orange said:

6. Hays

7. Mateo

8. Mullins

9. McCann

what are we doing? this is the best bottom of the lineup we can put out? We need WINS

Austin Hays has a .955 OPS vs lefties this year.   And has been strong vs lefties his whole career.   Why in the world are you complaining about him?   The only possible complaint is that maybe he should be higher in the lineup vs a lefty.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We'll see by Sunday morning if they are topping off Adley to the tune of catching three straight NYY games including the Sunday brunch one.

I doubt he catches the one. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah. Hopefully (dreaming) we can turn him around quickly and catch lightning in a bottle for a few months. And further prove the incompetence of the 27-84 White Sox coaching staff.
    • Can't imagine this is a  popular move with the clubhouse. Add a terrible hitter 2 month rental who should never put on a glove to replace a promising young dude
    • Typical criticize wording.  Ok ok not "replacement" "fill ins".  Sorry that Elias didn't trade for players that weren't even traded to fulfill your needs.  
    • Roster resource (per fangraphs) shows O’s 2024 estimated luxury tax payroll at $129M (net of all the recent comings/goings/prorations).  This does include estimates for $17M player benefits, $2M pre-arb bonus pool.  However, I don’t think that includes $11M 2024 draft bonus pool or the $7M international bonus pool for 2024.  So net/net….it may be the case that O’s are already in the $145-150M neighborhood when factoring all payments.  Hopefully still some room above that level for O’s to spend in 2025 (although with Kimbrel, Santander, Burnes coming off the books, there should be $$$ even if spending flat).
    • I subscribe to the Banner, but somehow missed this June 28 article about minority owner Michael Arougheti, who is the heir apparent to David Rubinstein when he ages out of the ownership control person role.  It’s a really long article, but here’s a few quotes: He’s loved baseball since childhood, and he played it in high school. You can pin the ownership dream to 1998, when he founded a fantasy baseball league with [co-owners Michael] Smith, [Mitchell] Goldstein and a few other friends. The group consisted of young finance guys living in New York, starting with seven teams. The first draft was held in the offices of a French bank where one of the participants worked, pizza and beers spread on a conference table. On that Saturday before the MLB season started, the draft began at 8 or 9 a.m. and continued for 12 hours. “If you ask anybody in the league,” Goldstein said, “the best day of the year was draft day.” * * * As a former fantasy baseball owner himself when he was in high school and at Yale, Elias understands the dedication it takes for baseball nuts to maintain a keeper league for nearly three decades. “It’s honestly not that different sometimes from some of the back and forth you have [in the MLB]. … People bounce ideas. Some of them are crazy, and some of them aren’t.” That doesn’t mean Arougheti and his cohorts are about to get too involved in baseball affairs — far from it. They have a deep respect for what Baltimore’s front office has achieved. Every owner who spoke to The Banner said Elias is the leader of baseball operations, plain and simple. “David and I are both very aligned on this. We believe in empowering great leaders,” Arougheti said. “For us, it’s about letting Mike Elias and his team make baseball decisions. When we’re getting access to the operation, it’s about getting to a place of understanding and to be supportive. We’re not the kind of leaders who override decisions.” Added Goldstein: “We told Mike over and over again: Just because we played fantasy baseball doesn’t mean we think we’re qualified to run a real team.” Elias had questions of his own for his new owners. For example, is it true the Charm City Sports Partners had been Yankees fans? “I grilled them about that right away,” Elias said. “They said as soon as they knew they were getting the Orioles, they dropped it like a bad habit and immediately switched gears. … It’s kind of a joke, but when I give people my tickets to my box or something, you can’t be wearing out-of-town colors. I just wanted to make it clear that they can’t be bringing Yankee riffraff with them into Camden Yards.” Added Elias: “Apparently, they didn’t need the warning.” * * * The passion is also in these owners. They’re not playing a major role in baseball decisions but trying to figure out how to support the front office. They’re also having a boatload of fun. One day this month, Arougheti dressed up as Ketchup in a hot dog race with his sons, 19-year-old Eli and 15-year-old Noah. Dressed as Relish, Eli won, with Smith waving the flag at the finish line. - - - It’s great to know that even beyond Rubinstein we have a group of owners who truly love baseball.    
    • I think we go with Cowser and Kjerstad in the corners next year with Mullins in CF.  Take the comp pick  I just hope Santa signs with an NL team.  Giants?  Mets?
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now