John Angelos

Rick_Schu

Question:   When Peter Angelos someday moves on to Oriole Heaven, or otherwise steps away from the franchise, is it a given that his son John will become the majority owner?  I have always kind of assumed so, but I also always assumed John Cooke would own the Redskins.... 

Cooke had set up his estate in a way that caused serious tax issues if his family kept the Redskins.    I don't know if Angelos has managed to circumvent those issues.    I sure have the impression that the Angelos family will remain in charge.

We’re rapidly approaching baseball’s first-pitch season, an occasion that once featured frequent presidential participation. And while the local ballclubs haven’t established much consistency in such matters over the past decade, there have still been occasional executive branch pitches. Vice President Biden threw out the first pitch at Baltimore’s home opener in the April following the 2008 election. The next year, President Obama threw out the first pitch at the Nationals home opener. First lady Michelle Obama later threw out a Camden Yards first pitch of her own.

So when John Angelos, the Orioles executive vice president and chief operating officer, appeared on a local podcast this week, he was asked about the idea of inviting President Trump for a first pitch at Oriole Park.

“Ultimately that decision is with the ownership group as to what major politicians and political figures and societal figures they want to invite,” Angelos said on the B-More Opinionated podcast. “I know that the administration has taken a lot of criticism for its controversial positions; I think more so perhaps for statements made both during the campaign and since the administration came in concerning things that are considered to be problematic from a race, ethnicity, religious, gender, disability [standpoint]. People in those communities have been spoken about very negatively by a candidate and now president.

“You’re asking my personal opinion; I think it’s really incumbent upon any individual who leads the country to step away from those types of statements, to apologize for those statements and retract them,” Angelos said. “And then to turn the page, and then to move forward in embracing their community, all parts of that community. Until that happens, it wouldn’t be my preference to have the president come throw a pitch. But that’s up to the ownership as to what they would like to do there.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/02/23/orioles-executive-wouldnt-want-to-host-a-first-pitch-from-president-trump-without-an-apology/?utm_term=.5a8e847bb317

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I suggest he worry about his team rather than politics. I don't care who throws the first pitch, it is all the ones that follow that concern me.

6 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I suggest he worry about his team rather than politics. I don't care who throws the first pitch, it is all the ones that follow that concern me.

He isn't worried about politics. He was asked a question and he answered it. 

We're all capable of multitasking in our lives. God forbid someone would tell you to stay off this message board and worry about something else more important.

32 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

He isn't worried about politics. He was asked a question and he answered it. 

We're all capable of multitasking in our lives. God forbid someone would tell you to stay off this message board and worry about something else more important.

The "_____ should stick to _____ and not talk about _____" is a pet peeve of mine in general, and you see it a lot these days. All people have opinions about a variety of things and a right to express those opinions. Not all of those opinions are going to be right or agreed with, but they aren't invalidated just because the speaker also has a day job. 

Archived