Markakis

Sports Guy

Yeah, so in your ludicrous way of thinking it was only because he was getting fat pitches to enable him to do so?:rolleyes: Guess what, the pitchers now aren't all of the sudden pitching him that much better. To believe that is absurd and just plain balderdash! :eek: Even if he does hit close to 20 homers that surely doesn't qualify him as much of a HR hitter. That is very pedestrian HR numbers for any starting Major League corner outfielder over an entire season.

And don't tell me to go away either Whippersnapper!:laughlol:

Who has called Nick a HR hitter?

Your Markakis hatred has gotten to the point where you don't even know what you are arguing anymore...Your arguments are pathetic and have no basis or intelligence behind them.

You have no clue as to what you are talking about...i think you have been watching baseball for 50 minutes as opposed to 50 years.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't necessarily disagree with you as I saw that batting stance photo comparison of Yaz and Markakis which also compared their swings which indeed are very similar. Yaz had a couple of 40 homer seasons though, and I highly doubt Markakis replicates that feat. Nevertheless you make a good point. In fairness though (which you would have no way of knowing) when I made the Boggs/Rose comparison I was specifically thinking of the way Marakis has looked so far this season, not over his whole career. Indeed to me he looks like more of a slap hitter this year in the past (at least to me). He seems not to be even trying for home runs by adopting that sort of Boggs/Rose style.

In Frobby's position by position thread you were ready to defend Wieters' lack of performance in this way:

You are slamming Wieters when the season is only about 11% complete! How about giving him more than a month?

Has Wieters also adopted the Boggs/Rose style - or is it just small sample size?

:rolleyes:

In Frobby's position by position thread you were ready to defend Wieters' lack of performance in this way:

Has Wieters also adopted the Boggs/Rose style - or is it just small sample size?

:rolleyes:

No, if you actually watch the games - I happen to do you would easily see that Wieters is taking healthy cuts trying to hit the ball off the warehouse whereas golden boy is becoming more of a slap type hitter.

Who has called Nick a HR hitter?

Your Markakis hatred has gotten to the point where you don't even know what you are arguing anymore...Your arguments are pathetic and have no basis or intelligence behind them.

You have no clue as to what you are talking about...i think you have been watching baseball for 50 minutes as opposed to 50 years.

And your excuse making for him is far worse. I mean c'mon, blaming his hitting few homers because he is "getting pitched around?":confused::rolleyes: If any hitter ever was "pitched around" around it was Barry Bonds and it sure didn't stop him from hitting home runs.:eektf:

Your excuse making for Marakis is beyond anything I have seen here as far as being laughable.

If you watch the games ( I am beginning to have some doubts) you would easily see that the only and I mean ONLY Oriole hittter who have even remotely been somewhat pitched around has been Wigginton. And that has to do with the fact he is by far the most powerful and feared hitter on the team early on. Markakis scares nobody.

If I was the opposition there are only two players on the entire team I might pitch around right now and they would be Wigginton and Tejada.

No, if you actually watch the games - I happen to do you would easily see that Wieters is taking healthy cuts trying to hit the ball off the warehouse whereas golden boy is becoming more of a slap type hitter.

Ah... I guess thats what explains Wieters having so many more doubles and homeruns than Nick.

And your excuse making for him is far worse. I mean c'mon, blaming his hitting few homers because he is "getting pitched around." If any hitter ever was "pitched around" around it was Barry Bonds and it sure didn't stop him from hitting home runs. Your excuse making for Marakis is beyond anything I have seen here as far as being laughable.

If you watch the games ( I am beginning to have some doubts) you would easily see that the only and I mean ONLY Oriole hittter who have even remotely been somewhat pitched around has been Wigginton. And that has to do with the fact he is by far the most powerful and feared hitter on the team early on. Markakis scares nobody.

If I was the opposition there are only two players on the entire team I might pitch around right now and they would be Wigginton and Tejada.

LOL....My god are you clueless.

I guess Brady Anderson and Palmer are wrong too, right?

BTW, Wieters isn't turning on anything right now and he isn't hitting the ball as hard as Nick.

Ah... I guess thats what explains Wieters having so many more doubles and homeruns than Nick.

He's just not getting the barrel of his bat on the ball (Wieters). He is taking tremendous cuts through. Marakis seems for the most part just to be trying for singles and gap doubles.

He's just not getting the barrel of his bat on the ball (Wieters). He is taking tremendous cuts through. Marakis seems for the most part just to be trying for singles and gap doubles.

Whatever. Markakis has 12 extra base hits in 23 games. That's a good ratio. He'll hit some HR's this year in little bursts. That's what he is. I'm through worrying about it.

You're just being ridiculous. If anything, I'd say Wieters hasn't looked very good at all and most of the hits he's had this year have been rather weak.

I agree and as I have already stated Wieters is having trouble getting the barrel of the bat on the ball but at least he is taking healthy cuts and I believe his power will come once he starts centering the ball on the bat. If not we have a future Larry Bigbie as our catcher!:(

As far as Markakis, despite SportsGuy's complete and utter nonsense that he isn't getting good pitches to hit, that is simply untrue. He usually gets one good pitch per at bat as do most hitters but he isn't hitting it as more than half the time he has his bat on his shoulder. Then when he does hit the ball he is hitting much tougher (pitcher's type pitches) and the best he can do is hit singles and an occasional double up the gap. He also isn't hitting the inside pitch with authority either.

He is either fouling it off or missing it. And when he does hit it he often gets under it or hits a line drive to the infied (first or second base). Markakis just doesn't look like much of an accompished hitter anymore to me. He certainly doesn't scare any opponent and on any playoff caliber team would certainly not be hitting in the heart of a lineup.

And your excuse making for him is far worse. I mean c'mon, blaming his hitting few homers because he is "getting pitched around?":confused::rolleyes: If any hitter ever was "pitched around" around it was Barry Bonds and it sure didn't stop him from hitting home runs.:eektf:

Your excuse making for Marakis is beyond anything I have seen here as far as being laughable.

If your eyes don't tell you that Markakis is hitting the ball harder than Wieters then you need to get some glasses, or a new prescription. Your assertion is that Wieters is taking better hacks, is silly. Markakis is hitting the ball sharply, is getting extra base hits, is getting on base, and despite his slow start, which is the norm for him, he's not off to a bad start at all.

Go back and read some of your older posts, and there will be one thing that is completely evident. Your eyes lie to you, and they lie to you often. I doubt there is a single poster on this board who has been more wrong in their own player analysis, than you have been. I'll be bracing for your negative rep, even though I'm offering this criticism in the most constructive way I know how.

If your eyes don't tell you that Markakis is hitting the ball harder than Wieters then you need to get some glasses, or a new prescription. Your assertion is that Wieters is taking better hacks, is silly. Markakis is hitting the ball sharply, is getting extra base hits, is getting on base, and despite his slow start, which is the norm for him, he's not off to a bad start at all.

Go back and read some of your older posts, and there will be one thing that is completely evident. Your eyes lie to you, and they lie to you often. I doubt there is a single poster on this board who has been more wrong in their own player analysis, than you have been. I'll be bracing for your negative rep, even though I'm offering this criticism in the most constructive way I know how.

Yeah, Markakis is ripping those singles isn't he? I just think for the money he is getting paid he ought to average more than one rbi per week (he now has 5 and this is the first week of May). But I guess I am expecting too much as of course it is never his fault.:rolleyes:

Yeah, Markakis is ripping those singles isn't he? I just think for the money he is getting paid he ought to average more than one rbi per week (he now has 5 and this is the first week of May). But I guess I am expecting too much as of course it is never his fault.:rolleyes:

Oldfan, a few months ago you were saying you didn't hate NM, you just thought he was a good (rather than a great) hitter. That's a respectable opinion.

Now, you're acting like you wanna crucify him. What's the deal?

Markakis definitely got off to a slow start for whatever reason, but in the last week he's hitting .320 with 5 runs, 1 hr, and 2 rbis. Gotta love that average, and I tend to think that the rbis and homers will go up this month.

I find myself yelling at him sometimes to get the bat off his shoulder when he looks at a strike three, but that's just part of his approach and you have to learn to love it. He has put up solid, consistent numbers in each of his first four years here. Hopefully his power will improve, but do not discount the great defense and arm that he brings to the table. He is very valuable to this team (if you look at him on the whole and not just one aspect of his game), maybe he cannot carry this offense but he is certainly one of the pieces that will help us contend again in the future.

Archived