The 2024 Trade Deadline

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Fedde is throwing his change up a lot more now (from 4% to 20% of the time) and the spin rate on his change up has increased. The spin rate is 1,708 RPM this compared to 1,516 in 2022.

I also share your concern that the Orioles will trade for Fedde and he reverts back to his Nats performance. I'll trust Elias and Sig to decide if he's worth it or not.

chart(3).thumb.jpeg.5c631dfa6d1a2f20a08f920bf0d6fb06.jpeg

chart(4).jpeg

I don’t see the line for sweeper on this chart? 

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've hoped for awhile for Jorge Mateo to get to be the Giants SS, with Elias and Farhan agreeing on something helpful to Baltimore.

Logan Webb just took some ERA damage after Brett Wisely couldn't knock down a bad hop ball.    Wisely is the rare bird who has been getting regular MLB shortstop run who was not a minor league shortstop, not a move many can do.

They aren't out of the NL race because no one is, and Jorge Mateo might be one of the world's 30 or 40 best shortstops this summer.

This is the kind of deal I was thinking about the other day when I wondered if there were deals of the "cash considerations" or lower cost nature we could do.  I think the only limiting factor here is that Elias might not want to trade out of the present 40 man - other than Urias and a couple others.  I think we all know that he values Mateo, but is there the additional "loyalty" idea of sending players who have contributed to our winning away?  I don't know the answers, but Mateo is one that I would not really hesitate to use to get some help.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That doesn’t mean he won’t.   He just doesn’t want to discuss it now.

They are also around 11-12 games out of playoff spot. That’s if they won out and the other teams continue same pace.

7 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

This is the kind of deal I was thinking about the other day when I wondered if there were deals of the "cash considerations" or lower cost nature we could do.  I think the only limiting factor here is that Elias might not want to trade out of the present 40 man - other than Urias and a couple others.  I think we all know that he values Mateo, but is there the additional "loyalty" idea of sending players who have contributed to our winning away?  I don't know the answers, but Mateo is one that I would not really hesitate to use to get some help.

If there is "loyalty" to a guy that you could trade to make your team better, then Elias isn't the guy you want running the ship.  I think loyalty is a good thing to a certain extent, but if you can turn Mateo+ into a useful bullpen arm, I think you have to do it.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

They are also around 11-12 games out of playoff spot. That’s if they won out and the other teams continue same pace.

Right.   When the time comes and the Rangers ask him if they can trade him he’ll probably ask for some kind of no-trade moving expenses (yuk yuk) and waive it.  Or not.   But what he said in that interview is meaningless.

Posted (edited)

Mullins' future here is a tough one to gauge.  The Phillies would probably be happy to have him, but I don't see Ced moved this season.   If Elias were interested in moving Ced, maybe a rental reliever like Seranthony Dominguez (29) would make sense?  Naturally, adding a CF would be important... a RHH one would be ideal, and there are a few available.

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Mullins' future here is a tough one to gauge.  The Phillies would probably be happy to have him, but I don't see Ced moved this season.   If Elias were interested in moving Ced, maybe a rental reliever like Seranthony Dominguez (29) would make sense?  Naturally, adding a CF would be important... a RHH one would be ideal, and there are a few available.

They aren't trading for a good RH CF, in my opinion, and I'd hate for them to trade for a guy like Tommy Pham, which is about what I'd expect.

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If they wanted Robert Jr, I would guess Mullins is in the deal.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Malike said:

They aren't trading for a good RH CF, in my opinion, and I'd hate for them to trade for a guy like Tommy Pham, which is about what I'd expect.

I agree to no on Pham.  We don't have a quality RHH CF ready to contribute, so if we can add a solid reliever by moving Ced and dealing for that RHH CF, it would help the current roster.  Again, I'm not expecting this, but rather offering some suggestions on how to improve.

Edited by Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Well we just don’t know if the reports were true about them wanting a RH OFer who can play CF.

And we don’t know if things have changed because when we heard that, Hays and Mullins were giant block holes offensively.  Maybe their improvement has changed that thought?

Or maybe Kjerstad playing well has changed things? There are only so many spots.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we just don’t know if the reports were true about them wanting a RH OFer who can play CF.

And we don’t know if things have changed because when we heard that, Hays and Mullins were giant block holes offensively.  Maybe their improvement has changed that thought?

Or maybe Kjerstad playing well has changed things? There are only so many spots.

Yeah, I just mentioned in another thread I wouldn't be shocked if on some days we see Hays in CF and Kjerstad in LF at home.