What is your dollar limit for FA in 2009?

waroriole

They have to let this rebuilding process play out more. Do they need a DH? Can Reimold do it? How many of the young starters will stick? Can Johnson close? Can Mickolio? Is Bell the answer for 3rd base? They don't know the answer to any of these questions and once they do they're really going to have to blow everybody else out of the water to get the FAs here. That argues, once again, for a conservative approach this offseason and looking toward 2010 and beyond. No shortcuts in the AL East guys. This thing has to be done solidly top to bottom and even then it might not be enough.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe my math is off but using $100 mil. as an example, I don't see the playwers Uniion making a snit over the difference between $100mil. and $110 mil. I could see a player preferring to take the lesser offer to play with the Yankees over the O's.

Well, maybe you better call Tom Glavine and ask him why he didn't stay in ATL then?

HINT: That was even less than a %10 difference It is widely understood had the union not told him that would be a NO-NO he would have remained a Brave.

So, if I am reading this correctly, some of you believe that everytime there is a premium FA that that player will end up in NY or Boston?

No other team has a chance..correct?

I think that's true when the Redsox and/or Yankees have needs that create competition for a player we'd desire. There is some debate over whether their needs overlap into our desires. Mackus doesn't think the Sox or Yankees will have interest in Lackey. I disagree, but if that's true, then yes we can be the front runner for him, or any other FA the Sox and Yanks aren't interested in. That's not to say we can't compete monetarily with either of them for a given player or two, just depends on how difference making a player it is.

Everybody has to offer a premium to get a free agent to sign. Very rarely do two teams offer nearly identical contracts. The only way anybody signs is if somebody offers a good chunk more than everyone else.

Your $30M mark is obviously ridiculous, but any FA who signs anywhere does it because they are taking more money there than anywhere else.

There are very few cases where a guy decides between two relatively equal offers and gets to choose based on where he would prefer to play. Money is the most important thing for the vast majority of free agents.

I believe this to be correct. What I think usually happens is that if there are two relatively equal offers the agent will go to the preferred club and convince them to add one extra year to "seal the deal" thus making that offer the biggest one without necessarily giving other suitors a chance to match.

Ok, I can chalk that up to Boras BS, but no matter. Your agrument is that if the Yankees offer Holliday 5/$140ml. the Union will compell him to accept an O's offer of 5/$154mil?

Most assuredly , that's part of being in the union. You don't just get to take the perks and then be like, nah, I'm going to do what I want anyway.

If it was a difference of 1 million dollars total, no they wouldn't bother, but 1 million a year, you bet your bum. Why do you think Melvin Mora cost what he did for the O's? Because he was a 3b like no other? No, because they had to pay more, it seems pretty obvious the Orioles could have made a smaller offer and gotten him to stay. It's not like he didn't want to be here.

Ok, I can chalk that up to Boras BS, but no matter. Your argument is that if the Yankees offer Holliday 5/$140ml. the Union will compell him to accept an O's offer of 5/$154mil?

It's funny how when I give a fact, it is chalked up to Boras BS. Yet you throw out numbers that have no substantial reasoning and we are supposed to take it as gospel.

If your constantly looking down at us, its hard to see whats right in front of you.

Archived