UMD Charlie White

Being a Maryland fan, I try to follow their baseball team. Being stationed outside of Maryland and minimal college baseball coverage in general, I have to rely on box scores. I couldn't help but noticing this kid has 18 stolen bases in 15 games. In a few games, he's stolen 3 bases. Has anyone seen him play? Its still early, but as a redshirt Sophomore with a .407 avg and 556 OB percentage, has anyone seen him play and is he a possible draft pick? Kid has wheels and can get on base.

If the weather is ok, I'm hoping to get up there to see him and Maryland play Friday night!

I will be real curious to hear your take. As he has yet to hit a home run in his college career(though he was hampered by injury last year with a broken hand I think) he did lead the team in batting average his freshman year and seems to have done well against UVA this past weekend.

If the weather is ok, I'm hoping to get up there to see him and Maryland play Friday night!

Awesome! Let us know if any of the Terps stand out as potentially high draft picks. Charlie White definitely seems like an interesting name to watch.

Terps play @ Towson on 4/24 @ 4PM. Will be supporting both Terps & Towson in light of the shaft that Towson stuck to the baseball & soccer programs.

I didn't see anyone that jumped out at me as a high draft pick, but I did find a few guys interesting. White struggled against the left-handers he faced and didn't hit a ball hard all night so it was tough to get any real reads on him. I'll see him again soon. Hagel and Schmidt were two guys that I liked but neither at this point would be high draft picks. I think they'll both end up getting drafted though. I liked what I saw from the Freshman Mooney and think he has a nice future.

• White is NP.

• Convissar should get drafted; prob. org guy ultimately. (Note: Wouldn't be shocked if returned for SR year)

• Reed has some heat amongst area guys as a potential late single-/early double-digit round guy. Might be reliever long term.

• Keine had some heat but doesn't look like he has played yet this year.

• Hockaday continues to be a person of interest for 2014.

• white is np.
  • convissar should get drafted; prob. Org guy ultimately. (note: Wouldn't be shocked if returned for sr year)
  • reed has some heat amongst area guys as a potential late single-/early double-digit round guy. Might be reliever long term.
  • keine had some heat but doesn't look like he has played yet this year.
  • hockaday continues to be a person of interest for 2014.

np????????

• 2 weeks later...
How did he do against #1 NC?

Charlie White was 5 for 12(.417), 2b, SB(28), BB, and SO. Only went hitless against Kent Emanuel, a lefty(albeit a lefty expected to go in the first round)

Thanks for the scouting reports. Agree there isn't too much prospect wise on this team. Kiene interested me too but he's been plagued with injuries alot in his career. I kind of think the only guy that has value and gets drafted is Jimmy Reed. Reliever forced into a starting gig. I can't imagine Hagel gets drafted for it looks like he has been forced out of the lineup as a Senior.

Charlie White was 5 for 12(.417), 2b, SB(28), BB, and SO. Only went hitless against Kent Emanuel, a lefty(albeit a lefty expected to go in the first round)

Thanks for the scouting reports. Agree there isn't too much prospect wise on this team. Kiene interested me too but he's been plagued with injuries a lot in his career. I kind of think the only guy that has value and gets drafted is Jimmy Reed. Reliever forced into a starting gig. I can't imagine Hagel gets drafted for it looks like he has been forced out of the lineup as a Senior.

I know a team or two that kinda likes him a bit. I've only seen him once and I can say with a fact that I've seen a lot worse guys play in the minor leagues. I can see him drafted after the 20th round if a team is looking for some organizational outfield depth, maybe even before if he keeps that OBP up. He doesn't have any true plus tool, but he does everything fairly well. He hits to all fields, has gap power, he's an average to maybe a tick above average runner, he can field his position and has an average left fielder's arm. I might be willing to give him a chance to play all three outfield positions. Being a senior might hurt his draft status, but at some point someone will grab him because at worse he will be a solid organizational outfielder with some upside.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived