I don't want to hear this "chemistry" crap

mikezpen

Okay. So we agree, essentially. Why are we arguing?!?!?!?!?!??!

I honestly think we see Reimold in September anyway. That's why I'm not getting upset yet. I think you see Reimold come up in September, especially if Scott ends up going on the DL (which I'm guessing with his injury will happen eventually... I think it's likely). And I think those guys will get playing time when they come up.

All I'm saying is that, future or not, the vets have earned their playing time. You don't arbitrarily take it away to give guys in AA a shot. But if you're rotating and putting a different guy on the bench each night, I think it could work fine.

Now, whether it works that way remains to be seen. But Trembley has said he's committed to playing Montanez when he feels ready, and I'm going to assume that if Reimold ends up on the team in September, the same will hold true for him. I'll assume that until I'm given reason not to, anyway.

I don't know...Most arguments on this board are because others putting words into people's mouths....For the most part, most people agree on every topic on here.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I have seen anyone say bench guys like Millar every game. They are saying to take at bats away from them one or 2 games a week and see what these young kids can do.

I am failing to see the issue with this and if those players have an issue with it, then I question just how valuable they are for team chemistry.

This is similar to what I've been saying all along. They could play Millar 3-4 days a week rather than seven. Mora & Huff unless traded will be here next season & on the team so they can reduse them as well. The only way I would play these guys 6-7 days per week is If they were showcasing a trade. Huff wont clear now anyway & Mora wont likely waive his no trade.

I don't know...Most arguments on this board are because others putting words into people's mouths....For the most part, most people agree on every topic on here.

*sighs* I'm not putting words into your mouth. We were making such good progress there.

Two days ago you were displaying outrage that Montanez wasn't playing and that you were watching the same old vets again. Now you're telling me that you don't want guys like Millar and Mora and the like to find permanent homes on the bench.

I agree with the second part, and didn't with the first part.

Misinterpreting your point, by the way, doesn't equal putting words in people's mouths. And if it does, I think we're ALL guilty of it (including you).

And if it does, I think we're ALL guilty of it (including you).

He's still yet to admit that he completely misinterpreted his buddy BTerp's premise in this thread. Then again, BTerp apparently has forgotten that we were talking about the importance of chemistry and since he made a side example, we must automatically concentrate on that, and that alone, because, well he said so.

This is similar to what I've been saying all along. They could play Millar 3-4 days a week rather than seven. Mora & Huff unless traded will be here next season & on the team so they can reduse them as well. The only way I would play these guys 6-7 days per week is If they were showcasing a trade. Huff wont clear now anyway & Mora wont likely waive his no trade.

Mora and Huff will be a part of the team next year, which is exactly WHY you don't reduce their at bats significantly this year.

Oh, and the fact that they're hitting really, really, really well of late.

*sighs* I'm not putting words into your mouth. We were making such good progress there.

Two days ago you were displaying outrage that Montanez wasn't playing and that you were watching the same old vets again. Now you're telling me that you don't want guys like Millar and Mora and the like to find permanent homes on the bench.

I agree with the second part, and didn't with the first part.

Misinterpreting your point, by the way, doesn't equal putting words in people's mouths. And if it does, I think we're ALL guilty of it (including you).

First of all, I didn't say YOU were...I was talking about the board in general...However, earlier in this thread, you did say "oh, so I guess it is meaningless" and it should be obvious, even to OldFan, that I wasn't saying that.

However, i am tired of seeing these over the hill, going no where vets playing everyday.

What truly amazes me is that we have these same arguments every year...End of the day, I think people are fine with anything the Orioles do and just will not argue against them. Its almost as if they form their opinions solely based on what the Orioles do.

An example would be that if DT sat Millar 4 games a week for Lou, i bet many people on here wouldn't be complaining about it killing chemistry...They would be fine with it because DT tells them it is ok but his actions.

First of all, I didn't say YOU were...I was talking about the board in general...However, earlier in this thread, you did say "oh, so I guess it is meaningless" and it should be obvious, even to OldFan, that I wasn't saying that.

However, i am tired of seeing these over the hill, going no where vets playing everyday.

What truly amazes me is that we have these same arguments every year...End of the day, I think people are fine with anything the Orioles do and just will not argue against them. Its almost as if they form their opinions solely based on what the Orioles do.

An example would be that if DT sat Millar 4 games a week for Lou, i bet many people on here wouldn't be complaining about it killing chemistry...They would be fine with it because DT tells them it is ok but his actions.

Just as long as I don't get lumped into this crowd then I'm happy. In that one instance though, I overreacted to push a point across. We all do it. ;)

I'm not fine with everything the Orioles do. I don't like to overreact to things. Like I keep saying, if Montanez hasn't found his way into the rotation in a few weeks, I'll be irritated.

Are you all watching the USA men's gymnastic's team???? Now THAT is what chemistry is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA!! USA!!!

Typical non-baseball post from glorydays! :D

I don't want to hear this chemistry crap either. Look at the OH, we are considered one of the best baseball boards around and everybody hates each other. Counter THAT argument intangible huggers!

Actually, I was addressing the better part of the thread, which is whether chemistry matters or not. I picked out Bill James as an example. Just because he was a part of what you said, doesn't mean I was addressing that at all.

If you don't wanna argue what this thread is about because you're stumped, that's fine. But don't act like I'm unable to grasp what's going on.

I know exactly what's going on, thanks. You made a side-point, and I used him as an example to GO BACK TO WHAT I HAD SAID PREVIOUSLY. And what the rest of this thread was about.

But that's ok, you employed a red herring so we must all automatically change the subject. :rolleyes:

Listen Tommy, although most of the thread was about whether chemistry is important or not, and although it was incredibly clear to anybody what your intent was, BTerp decided to change the subject to a very mundane and tired argument and we must all only discuss that.

Typical non-baseball post from glorydays! :D

I don't want to hear this chemistry crap either. Look at the OH, we are considered one of the best baseball boards around and everybody hates each other. Counter THAT argument intangible huggers!

You and I both know that this OH is held together only because we have SG as the linchpin. Without him, we are just another ESPN or Sun drama fest. So yes, chemistry does matter but only if it includes the alchemy brought by our number one poster! :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080821&content_id=3344893&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Teams win championships and players don't. I believe in chemistry 100 percent, and you can't buy it. There are so many different egos and personalities that go into a 25-man roster, and you really can have a toxic mix. I've seen teams that were jealous of each other, and I've seen teammates that root against each other. I've seen a lot of different situations, but this team right here really cares about each other. This group right here stays together and hangs out together. That's a unique thing. We have a great mix of Latins and good ole' boys, young players and veterans. It's just been a great breath of fresh air.

I think everyone in this clubhouse has said this is the most fun they've ever had coming to the field, and it's neat to hear. The guys are here at 2 or 2:30 every day and they're not straggling in at 4 with their heads down and headphones on. We eat together, we play cards together, we rag on each other. It's a long day at the field, but we've been enjoying it.

And that doesn't just grow overnight. It takes effort from everybody. It takes effort to have a team dinner and to include everybody in everything. You've got a certain amount of guys who do that and keep things going, and that's what makes the team. And it all starts at the top. You have to believe in the theories your manager is stressing. Dave told us from the get-go, "Team, team, team, team -- nobody's bigger than the team." It started that way in February, and we've believed it. You're a reflection of your manager, and we've never quit and we've always played as hard as we can. That doesn't mean you're going to win every game. We're going to get beat and we're going to get crushed, but you can play the game right.

Here we go again...

People on this board don't like "chemistry" because you can't slap a stat on it. It can't be quantified.

And for a board, that is consumed with WHIPS, DIPS, and potato chips, salaries and numerous hypothetical trades, the notion of chemistry, this thing that cannot be measured by a number, is frustrating.

And therefore, it's dismissed. It's not important.

But if it's important to the players and they believe in it, I'll take their word for it.

I knew I was popular, but never in a million years realized that people were consumed with me!

Kidding aside, I agree 100% with Moose! If Chemistry is important to the players, that's what counts. The opinions of stat heads mean nothing to the players, coaches, and front office personnel.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080821&content_id=3344893&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Teams win championships and players don't. I believe in chemistry 100 percent, and you can't buy it. There are so many different egos and personalities that go into a 25-man roster, and you really can have a toxic mix. I've seen teams that were jealous of each other, and I've seen teammates that root against each other. I've seen a lot of different situations, but this team right here really cares about each other. This group right here stays together and hangs out together. That's a unique thing. We have a great mix of Latins and good ole' boys, young players and veterans. It's just been a great breath of fresh air.

I think everyone in this clubhouse has said this is the most fun they've ever had coming to the field, and it's neat to hear. The guys are here at 2 or 2:30 every day and they're not straggling in at 4 with their heads down and headphones on. We eat together, we play cards together, we rag on each other. It's a long day at the field, but we've been enjoying it.

And that doesn't just grow overnight. It takes effort from everybody. It takes effort to have a team dinner and to include everybody in everything. You've got a certain amount of guys who do that and keep things going, and that's what makes the team. And it all starts at the top. You have to believe in the theories your manager is stressing. Dave told us from the get-go, "Team, team, team, team -- nobody's bigger than the team." It started that way in February, and we've believed it. You're a reflection of your manager, and we've never quit and we've always played as hard as we can. That doesn't mean you're going to win every game. We're going to get beat and we're going to get crushed, but you can play the game right.

Well, I guess that answers my earlier questions about a team that sucks with good chemistry :laughlol:

Archived