MASN Speculation with the Sale

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone who is obviously in the know with all of this told me to watch for a Leonsis angle coming up soon. I would not be surprised at all if he ends up buying MASN. I just hope he gets rids of this stupid MASN one and MASN two thing and gives each team the same network always. 

it makes sense.  He has the Capitals and Wizards to fill the months where there's no baseball.

44 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Yes, he basically confirmed in the comments of his last article that he is staging a one-day strike in protest of censorship.  Fair enough - I’m sure he doesn’t want to be seen as a corporate shill (even if others sometimes perceive him that way) and this was a bridge too far. 

I guess? His comment wasn't super clear but you could certainly read it that way. 

But then Steve posted about it today, so... why wouldn't Roch have been able to? I guess Steve had to wait until after the team announced it, and maybe that's what stuck in Roch's craw. I just find that funny man. Roch should know the job he accepted is not working for an independent journalistic news organization (if those exist anymore), it's for literally John Angelos. To get bent out of shape about not being able to post before the team announced something as major as a sale is kind of silly to me. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I guess? His comment wasn't super clear but you could certainly read it that way. 

But then Steve posted about it today, so... why wouldn't Roch have been able to? I guess Steve had to wait until after the team announced it, and maybe that's what stuck in Roch's craw. I just find that funny man. Roch should know the job he accepted is not working for an independent journalistic news organization (if those exist anymore), it's for literally John Angelos. To get bent out of shape about not being able to post before the team announced something as major as a sale is kind of silly to me. 

Unless it's my browser acting up, the comments section of Roch's last blog (from 4am Tues) is gone. https://www.masnsports.com/blog/how-coulombe-and-webb-intend-to-improve-mullins-itching-to-have-healthy-season#disqus_thread

13 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Unless it's my browser acting up, the comments section of Roch's last blog (from 4am Tues) is gone. https://www.masnsports.com/blog/how-coulombe-and-webb-intend-to-improve-mullins-itching-to-have-healthy-season#disqus_thread

The comments are still there for me. Are you using a VPN? Sometimes the comments don't show up if the site detects a VPN.

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

The comments are still there for me. Are you using a VPN? Sometimes the comments don't show up if the site detects a VPN.

I only use a VPN during the season. Not sure why it's doing this. I was able to read last night. I'll try on my phone now. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Someone who is obviously in the know with all of this told me to watch for a Leonsis angle coming up soon. I would not be surprised at all if he ends up buying MASN. I just hope he gets rids of this stupid MASN one and MASN two thing and gives each team the same network always. 

MASN predates the switch to digital broadcasting so that might not be an issue like it was. Otherwise Baltimore’s market just gets crushed if that happens. 

16 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Just listened to Marty Conway on 105.7 the Fan. He basically said MASN could not do straight to consumer with streaming due to current deals with a Xfinity. They are dominate cable provider and they would have wanted to be compensated. 

He brought up Leonsis as a possibility. 

I have been saying this for years and it has been discussed many times. Someone confirmed this a few years ago. The MASN model is to get cable systems to add it to their basic package so they get a few dollars from every subscriber. As a result, they are only permitted to stream to those who subscribe to the cable/satellite companies. This is obviously an outdated model so I hope the new ownership changes it but, that would take a lot of unwinding and not be easy or quick. 

According to this article, their contract with Comcast ends this month.

https://apple.news/AXPTLy3QySESwZwlDFdzhqw

"But MASN is experiencing the same decline of the traditional pay TV business as every other RSN, and it, too, could face a potential carriage issue as a contract with its key distribution partner, Comcast, expires in February."

Edited by interloper

16 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

IMO …The Orioles would need to hold onto the advantage over the Gnats. I think Rubenstein and his team are smart and will figure out how to maintain it.

I mean, you can monetize it, just like you can monetize just about anything.  Figure out what revenue the asset generates, then sell it for an amount of money that should generate a similar level of income.   This happens every day in the media world.  

15 hours ago, interloper said:

I’m sure that what stuck in Roch’s craw was not being able to post about it even after it had been reported by numerous credible media outlets.   It’s one thing not to break news, it’s another not to be able to acknowledge what everyone already knows.  Still, I can see the team’s point of view on it.