Somewhat informed take on picks 1-3, as of this weekend...

Based on a multitude of factors:

1:1 Houston Astros - Mark Appel, rhp, Stanford

1:2 Minnesota Twins - Kevin Gausman, rhp, LSU

1:3 Seattle Mariners - Byron Buxton, of, Appling County HS (Ga.)

1:4 Baltimore Orioles - ....?

Based on a multitude of factors:

1:1 Houston Astros - Mark Appel, rhp, Stanford

1:2 Minnesota Twins - Kevin Gausman, rhp, LSU

1:3 Seattle Mariners - Byron Buxton, of, Appling County HS (Ga.)

1:4 Baltimore Orioles - ....?

Man, I would love to have Buxton...

If this does in fact happen to be the first 3 picks, who would you select at 1:4???

I'd be disappointed if Gausman were gone, but in this case I'd be fine with either Giolito or Correa. In my uninformed opinion, Zunino seems more like Grandal than Buster Posey, so if healthy I'd lean towards Giolito.

I'd be disappointed if Gausman were gone, but in this case I'd be fine with either Giolito or Correa. In my uninformed opinion, Zunino seems more like Grandal than Buster Posey, so if healthy I'd lean towards Giolito.

Yes yes yes. Gioloto to for me, but am intrigued by correa.

From what I've read (and it's not a lot), I'd rather have the option to pick between Giolito, Correa and Zunino than the guys Stotle has as the first 3 picks. It seems like Appel is the consensus #1, but doesn't really offer a lot of upside. Buxton seems too risky for my taste, plus I've never been big on "toolsy HS guys."

There are some who are concerned with Buxton's swinging with his upper body only. This should be correctible. I have read that Seattle is taking Zunino. If Zotle is right about the first two picks ......Appel and Gausman and Seattle does take Zunino that leaves Buxton and Correa for the Orioles. Which one do you take? If you check the latest reports on both of these players it seems to be divided with some seeing more power with Correa. We may need someone with a crystal ball for this one. Buxton does remind you of B.J. Upton. Another good shortstop who could move to third or a top outfielder. Which one do you pick? My head says Buxton but my crystal ball says Correa.

There are two rules for the draft.

1) Never draft defense with your top pick.

2) Never draft for need.

Correa is a defensive stud but I'd quit being a fan if we draft him since he doesn't offer a lot at the plate vs HS competition. Very concerning for a potential top 5 pick.

At 4 I'd gladly take Zunino and train him to be our power hitting 1b of the future. He has the best power bat in the entire draft at catcher and if you stick him at 1st and allow him to bulk up he can reach elite power. My #1 guy is Gausman so I'll be disappointed if he's gone at 2.

There are two rules for the draft.

1) Never draft defense with your top pick.

2) Never draft for need.

Correa is a defensive stud but I'd quit being a fan if we draft him since he doesn't offer a lot at the plate vs HS competition. Very concerning for a potential top 5 pick.

At 4 I'd gladly take Zunino and train him to be our power hitting 1b of the future. He has the best power bat in the entire draft at catcher and if you stick him at 1st and allow him to bulk up he can reach elite power. My #1 guy is Gausman so I'll be disappointed if he's gone at 2.

?????

Wrong on Correa.

Don't think Zunino's bat will play at 1B, other players have more power, he's just more balanced.

Interesting. If those three were taken I'd go with one of these guys in this order.

1. Correa

2. Zunino

3. Stroman

4. Zimmer

I really think I like Correa more than Buxton.

If that is how 1-3 goes, for me it's

1. Correa

2. Zimmer

3. Zunino

4. Giolito (provided relative health no setbacks prior to draft)

BTW...I'm not particularly fond of Gausman or Buxton so I would like both of them going before we draft.

Archived